Model Cars Magazine Forum

Citroen Mehari

Brizio

Time to start this kit. It is a Heller Citroen Mehari in 1/24. The real car had the body molded in plastic, so I need to say that is pretty accurate! :D The kit contains different parts that don't need to be use for this model, they are from the Citroen 2CV.

IMG_2837.thumb.JPG.7c78fa6744deb117dd113

On the corner of the box there is a piece of tape covering something, I scraped it off and... Renault official product... :D:D:D

IMG_2898.thumb.JPG.b5a86be8c308b64b7f7f7

Are you going to build as "out of box" or do you have bigger plans for this ? On Wheeler Dealer on Velocity TV they redid a Citroen van that looks very similar to this. I understand that these are very popular in parts of Europe at this time.  

Are you going to build as "out of box" or do you have bigger plans for this ? On Wheeler Dealer on Velocity TV they redid a Citroen van that looks very similar to this. I understand that these are very popular in parts of Europe at this time.  

Back in the 70's mi dad almost bought a used one, I don't picture him with this car, but like he said "was the 70's" :D... Where  I grew up I remember one Mehari driving around, did not had this big success, probably because it is more a "summer" car, not for winter. :) The body is in plastic so the kit is "very accurate :D".I think to build it stock, and see from there how it goes.

First thing to build is the chassis.

IMG_2917.thumb.JPG.95250cc2015b98ed03657

I add the steering part. I like to have model car that steer... :D To be sure that the suspension will stay attached to the chassis I drilled a hole, made a thread and secure it all with a screw. I need to do that also on the back.

IMG_2918.thumb.JPG.3f55b1e9e97bc7aea56bb

I have never seen one of these but, so i am looking forward setting this one built, and it looks like you are going toy do a great job.

Thank you Mark! :) They sold around 1000 Mehari in the US. 

Here are a lot of shots of a Mehari that Coy's will put on the auction block in Monaco next month.

http://www.coys.co.uk/cars/1981-citroen-mehari-4x4

Nice above all because is 4x4, but what a price for a piece of plastic! :D Also is a post '78, the kit seems more a pre '75.

I am digging this, keep up the great fiddilly work, it really pays of in the end doesn't it. 

Thank you Lloyd! Agree... Next I need to make the gas tank, and re do the hooks on the chassis.

hmm great updates on the suspension ) !!!!

Thank you Richard! I still don't know why they did not made the shock longer...

Looking good Brizio. When I built a  2CV the suspension was very similar to this one on the Mehari and it worked very well, worth the time taken building it! 

I though they used the same 2CV chassis for both, apparently not. I'm also disappointed on the plastic the kit is molded, been a new kit, the plastic looks from the 60's! Infact it remind me of the plastic the Renault 16 was molded.

Forgot to put the picture of the gas tank. On the previous picture of the gas tank on the chassis I glue it wrong. the hose need to go on the other side. :D

IMG_2930.thumb.JPG.6f6b64325c9886317f544

The gas tank filler hose is molded on the body... So I will remove it and make a new one.

IMG_2924.thumb.JPG.70440ff8860b2977f5c67

Gas tank filler hose removed.

IMG_2925.thumb.JPG.e0741241a8f54eea356fd

I though they used the same 2CV chassis for both, apparently not. I'm also disappointed on the plastic the kit is molded, been a new kit, the plastic looks from the 60's! Infact it remind me of the plastic the Renault 16 was molded.

Yes mine as with the Citroen HY van is very soft.

Some progress, filling all the injection marks... Also I removed the exhaust mount. In the instruction they show that the exhaust need to be cut, so this piece need to be removed.

IMG_2927.thumb.JPG.48d91bc14d2a13f4d42d3

The piece I'm talking about.

IMG_2928.thumb.JPG.0080a6f1bc4e64fb2d49d

IMG_2929.thumb.JPG.0568464cb281ccf1681fe

Here some progress, more an update because I didn't go forward with the building...

The lower front end of the car, on the kit is straight down, in the real car it is in an angle...

IMG_2933.thumb.JPG.a809c3ae23044ad895cb5

Here the piece in a more realistic position... :)

IMG_2934.thumb.JPG.7de67fd7a66912a0e0589