Model Cars Magazine Forum

FALCON - Doors & Trunk Opened - New pics 8-12

Codi

Tim... I have to say that with the fix you did on the roof, Man it looks killer. I honestly think that it looks way better now. This is going to be an awesome build to watch come together. I can't wait to see when you start the engine and chassis on this.

I certainly agree with your comments guys. I like it a lot better too.  Got the trunk cut out of the new body and the A pillars glassed in for strength so I can cut out the doors and trunk lid. Thanks for following along and sharing your thoughts.  cheers

Tim..... I am looking forward to seeing your next update with the door and trunk all cut out. I would even like to see the A pilars glassed in for strength. I have never thought about doing that before when curing the doors out.

• 3 months later...

Cleaned up the roof where it was re-chopped and got the door & trunk out.  This body is so thick that I'm going to have a lot of sanding / thinning out of the body and panels as I go along.  Had to add a lot of bracing to cut everything out which I'll remove when I get to fabricating the chassis.  In the second pic you'll see the mini saws I used by Crazy modeler which worked great and the new Tamiya masking tape they came out with 6 months ago for masking paint jobs.  I used it in a couple of areas and I have to say this stuff is just fantastic.  If you've not used it yet, I can't recommend it enough. Comes in 2, 3 and 5mm widths.  It just flows around curves.  And sticks too!   cheers, tim

DSC 0008

DSC 0039DSC 0017

Thanks everyone.  Joe, Chris and Bill, yeah the bracing was a real necessity.  I've figured out where I can brace the body (2 spots) when I begin the chassis.  I can't leave it completely devoid of braces or I'm afraid it will twist or warp on me somehow.  Even though it is very thick and I won't thin it down too much until its time for paint. 

I must say that it REALLY opens up the interior to the car in a big way and was worth the effort.   cheers