Model Cars Magazine Forum

41, Lincoln Continental Custom

just getting ready for this one . so i thought i would make a build tread for it ..

its a complete 1972 kit but weirdly enough there is some extra parts in the box . like extra roofs both cab and vinyltop and there is also extra axles and a extra interior tub . might come in handy in the future for other builds .

DSC_2021kk_zpsagaglqof.jpg

i like the look of the 41  but i really cant stand that Humpback whale style trunk .it just has too much junk in the trunk .

so ive decided to cut it of and just give the whole car more of a custom rod look. will possible also fill in all bumper mounting holes . just make the body really clean.  and do something fancy with the hood . colors i dont  know yet and ofcourse it will be lowered

the body in the kit has a broken a pillar but its in the kit so it can be fixed .

here,s what im thinking with the trunk

DSC_2022_zpsi47poxdk.jpg

DSC_2035hgff_zpsvzdlox3r.jpg

DSC_2018_zpsb67pfvzw.jpg

DSC_2048_zpsu8hz5aih.jpg

let me know what you think . and ideas is always welcome .

Edited by The Danish sprue wrangler

I picked up this same kit in a zip-lock bag at a show a couple of years ago and have been thinking along the same lines.  Not sure if I am going to completely remove the "hump" or merely section it a bit.  Looking forward to what you do with this one.

If I were taking the boot off, I'd leave the roof off as well, and contour the deck using the deck from a '40 Ford. Losing the bumpers? I could go either way on that, once the slope is established. I built three or four of these over the years, wouldn't mind trying another even though it's a BIG car in 1/24 around my 1/25 builds. So were the Packard, Rolls, and Duesenberg I had.... ex-girlfriends have/had them after I got tired of them.

If I were taking the boot off, I'd leave the roof off as well, and contour the deck using the deck from a '40 Ford. Losing the bumpers? I could go either way on that, once the slope is established. I built three or four of these over the years, wouldn't mind trying another even though it's a BIG car in 1/24 around my 1/25 builds. So were the Packard, Rolls, and Duesenberg I had.... ex-girlfriends have/had them after I got tired of them.

yes the roof will stay off . it just looks better / cleaner

dont know about the 40, ford thing . would have to get one first but ill look into it .

as for the bumpers we will see when we get to that .

and yes this car is massive beside the other models .

I picked up this same kit in a zip-lock bag at a show a couple of years ago and have been thinking along the same lines.  Not sure if I am going to completely remove the "hump" or merely section it a bit.  Looking forward to what you do with this one.

well we will see how it looks and then maybe you will decide for your build .

im looking forward to seeing what im going to do too.. it will be my first time working with putty or bondo on a model . so thats exciting ...

well we will see how it looks and then maybe you will decide for your build .

im looking forward to seeing what im going to do too.. it will be my first time working with putty or bondo on a model . so thats exciting ...

I can understand your wanting to change the boot or trunk on this, but it was one of the original design elements when new. The only big problem I can see is the transition between the trunk area and the base of the roof or convertible top. It would seem that who ever had this kit before was going to modify it with the extra parts you mentioned. There was someone else here modifying this same area and if you can find their post you might learn from the problems they may have had. I will be interested to see what you come up with  on for this build.  

The 40 Ford idea is right on the money! Before even reading through

this thread I was thinking that the contours of the deck area had 40 Ford

written all over them.

I think a chunk out of the deck from a 40 Ford wouldn't take much to

fit it into the void there.

David S.

woooh alot of interest in this one i see . well awesome then  apperently im building a Zephyr custom now .ha ha . well lets get to it

have got a little work done .

cut the lid out

filed the edges

test fit interior

had to trim the shelf

need to fill in those holes where the soft-top would fold down

and sanded them to the right shape

continue .

a little support for the new lid

DSC_2044_zpsyjpzy7zw.jpg

DSC_2050_zpsyse6jjgj.jpg

cut out a new lid from som thick bendable plastic . i got a whole big roll of it and its good for building..

DSC_2041_zps30id5sb3.jpg

starting to glue it in .and will bend it slowly to the contour 

DSC_2051_zpsi6kr6xci.jpg

still had to use a candle to heat the plate to make it bend that much

DSC_2055_zpsww2zi2ph.jpg

DSC_2057_zps1bpv4yfy.jpg

the tape helped keep it in place while glue dried . hey this isent half bad i think .

DSC_2059_zpsvwzkfztx.jpg

body got a little heat damage from the candle on this corner .

DSC_2061_zps3jmiuufd.jpg

fixing it by putting in a little piece of plastic

DSC_2067_zps2spjr6j9.jpg

DSC_2070_zpsuvzmhezw.jpg

and cut it down

DSC_2075_zpsmp6hxrpc.jpg

so this isent bad i think. never done anything like it before its only my 4th model

DSC_2074_zpsknh6nike.jpg

also filed down the mounting holes for the bumper i want it clean so they will be filled in .

DSC_2058_zpsbz19lldj.jpg

it needs more work with bondo all over . but for now

ITS JUST ASKING FOR IT

DSC_2078_zpsssa24jxj.jpg

You're brave doing a custom for your fourth model.  Good start with the new trunk area.  A candle!?!  More bravery!  What kind of plastic did you use?  I try to make sure body parts are very well attached and supported  I often use super glue plus baking soda for an easy reinforcement on the back side where it won't show.  Helps to avoid problems when I'm cutting, shaping and so forth.

You're brave doing a custom for your fourth model.  Good start with the new trunk area.  A candle!?!  More bravery!  What kind of plastic did you use?  I try to make sure body parts are very well attached and supported  I often use super glue plus baking soda for an easy reinforcement on the back side where it won't show.  Helps to avoid problems when I'm cutting, shaping and so forth.

Thanks Gerald . i havent build any of the last 3 models box stock either .  afterall its only plastic allmost anything can be fixed.

but i guess i just jumped right into the hobby with an aditude of just go for it. learning by doin as i go  

yep a Candle to heat up parts and bend em works good if you are careful. 

the plastic i use is actually .......how do i explain it . well do you know when they dig trenches for laying down high voltage electrical cables  they always lay down a plastic sheet on top of the cable before filling in dirt . so you wont cut the cable with a shovel later on when you are digging around the garden or house. i got a big 30 meter roll of that from work and its perfect for building the one i got is 2mm thick but they come in many sizes. i will order some styrene too  but this was free and its gets the job done and i have alot of it .  and yes  i used superglue for the trunk too . dident know about the backing powder i guess that works as a activator to make it cure faster . .

John you are a brave man to attempt such a complicated body modification on your fourth model.That rear deck replacement is not easy task no matter how you do it.It would be cool to build it in  low rider style with an extended rear bumper shelf and a old school continental kit.

John you are a brave man to attempt such a complicated body modification on your fourth model.That rear deck replacement is not easy task no matter how you do it.It would be cool to build it in  low rider style with an extended rear bumper shelf and a old school continental kit.

so they tell me . i dont know really just had a idea and went for it. pretty much how i do alot of things. some times you fail but the rest of the time is pretty good  and you can only learn and gain experience by trying. you will never succeed  if you are scared of trying anything for the first time. ( the biggest difference between a master and a quitter is that the Master have failed more times than the quitter have even tried )

and lowrider style hmmm im not sure . but i wont write anything off