Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hot Wheels Tribute builds

RestoModGuy

Since I was a little 7 year old kid in 1967, my affliction with cars began when Mattel introduced the first "Sweet 16" Hot Wheels.

That lead me into building plastic 1/25 scale, to building 1:1 circuit show-cars and now back to 1/25 scale building in my 50's again.

Just recently decided I would search for all original 16 1967 released Hot Wheels cars, (like you perhaps, I had several of all 16 !) in 1/25 scale to build tributes to those Sweet 16 

I found every 1/25 kit even the Ford J Car. Here is the work in progress of the Hot Heap 1915 Ford T future builds coming up, Custom Volkswagen, Custom T-Bird and the two finished Custom Cougar and Deora in the cases.

IMG_2775.JPG

IMG_2776.JPG

IMG_2777.JPG

IMG_2778.JPG

I had that Thunderbird HotWheels in green with

a black vinyl top!

Everywhere I went I had that car with me.

There is a few I would like to do also, this will be

a fun thread for sure.

David S.

P.S.- I still have at least 300 HotWheels to this

very day. But now they are all still on the card!

Thanks all for the comments. I'm having a blast starting this theme build.

Here's a picture of all 16 original released Sweet 16 cars from 1968

IMG_3345.thumb.jpg.1f5079e4d6a647a91a3fd 

The first build is the Custom Cougar

DSCN1295.thumb.JPG.cfcde68cfec6fdb3e9d3e

Second build the Deora.... I handmade the surf boards and painted to match the originals. 

Deora.thumb.jpg.1b33b35c91b285b529bd0ff9

Great builds, I have a few of them on my list to do...where did you get the wheel/tire combo from??

Thanks, the wheels are big and little Pegasus T's that I used a red sharpie marker ran along the rim then followed with a black sharpie marker in the dish area to create the red-line look. The Deora is the only one that has the smaller wheel tire combo on all four, most of the rest of the cars have the big/little combo, except the T-Bird, Eldorado and the Custom Fleetside use the big's on all four 

Thats pretty cool....As a Collector of Hot Wheels ( I have about 6k of them....90% are still in the packages nothing really special just cars I like and a couple treasure hunters) I love seeing models built from them and have a few to do in my stash.  Of the original 16 I still have 13 of them..of course they are by no means mint...But I still have them form 68 and they where mine. 

We did a Hot Wheels theme build for a club monthly theme once and it was pretty fun.  Hope you dont mind if I post my build of it..if so I have no problem if you remove it...

Thats pretty cool....As a Collector of Hot Wheels ( I have about 6k of them....90% are still in the packages nothing really special just cars I like and a couple treasure hunters) I love seeing models built from them and have a few to do in my stash.  Of the original 16 I still have 13 of them..of course they are by no means mint...But I still have them form 68 and they where mine. 

We did a Hot Wheels theme build for a club monthly theme once and it was pretty fun.  

Very nice Dave, good looking build and tribute. Nope, never mind seeing anyone builds, that's why we're on here right!

I also grew up playing with the original Hot Wheels.  This is a great idea of yours.  These you have done so far look great.  Want to see more!  

Just for fun, have you thought about putting  one in a blister pack like the original little ones?

Edited by angelo7

Neat idea.

I remember in the early 70s Shell stations would give away hot wheels with a tank of gas. When I'd visit my grandmother it was kind of a ritual to get gas so I could get a hotwheel. Had a shoe box full of them over at her house. I looked for the box when she passed away, but I was the oldest of a number of grandchildren and somewhere along the line it must have been given to one of the younger ones or thrown out. They were pretty beat from me, but would have been fun to have anyway. 

The Custom Barracuda is one of the more tame ones that really stands out to me, I was thinking about doing one in dark blue metallic like the one I had.

The ones that really stand out in my memory are the more wild customs Python, Beatnik Bandit, Silhouette, Twin Mill, and Mantis being particular favorites.