Model Cars Magazine Forum

FormulaA Revell 29 Roadster

Impalow

Fascinating and instructive. I have started initial plans on an ultra-light space-framed deuce and your approach and design concepts are very helpful. Mine is to be front engine and the challenge is to make it look somewhat more traditional than this while still being contemporary. So it's different but the beautiful work your putting into this radical machine is inspirational.

Edited by Bernard Kron

Thanks Eric.  Now I've got something new to add to my list of building techniques to explore thanks to you.  ;)  My 13 year old has Adobe on her computer thanks to school and I'm going to take some time to have her show me the ropes.  I can see many applications just based upon the things you've accomplished on this build already.  Very cool is all I can say.  As an fyi, is this something you do as part of your current job and how difficult is it to learn in your estimation?  cheers, tim

Not to answer for Eric, he can tell you more about his experiences. As he is much better than I with that stuff, and has helped me a lot when I needed some tips. 

But I taught myself a lot about illustrator from Google and YouTube. Enough to get me started running these cutter type machines. Now if I could get my brain to work like his in the concept department...

Thank you guys!   I haven't gotten much bench time... lately... Basketball and Hockey playoffs, as well as 1:1 car and house maintenance... blah...

Thanks Eric.  Now I've got something new to add to my list of building techniques to explore thanks to you.  ;)  My 13 year old has Adobe on her computer thanks to school and I'm going to take some time to have her show me the ropes.  I can see many applications just based upon the things you've accomplished on this build already.  Very cool is all I can say.  As an fyi, is this something you do as part of your current job and how difficult is it to learn in your estimation?  cheers, tim

Thank you and that's great to hear Tim!   I'm excited to see what someone with your talents can do with one of these things.    I do use Adobe Illustrator for work, but I have never taken a class on it. Mostly I have used it to operate our vinyl graphics cutter, which is just a larger version of the scrapbook cutter.    The good news for me/you/everyone, you only need to scratch the surface of what the program can do to accomplish this stuff.  You can draw about anything with 3 or 4 of the basic tools,  then get more complex as you get more comfortable in the software.  I can honestly say I rarely take a normal xacto to a sheet of styrene anymore... even for simple basic shapes.  Its faster, more accurate and repeatable.  

That all being said... I should probably do a quick YouTube video of my process so everyone can see how easy this really is...  I will put that on my to-do list.

Not to answer for Eric, he can tell you more about his experiences. As he is much better than I with that stuff, and has helped me a lot when I needed some tips. 

But I taught myself a lot about illustrator from Google and YouTube. Enough to get me started running these cutter type machines. Now if I could get my brain to work like his in the concept department...

Buddy, you do not want your brain to work like mine... hahaha...two words..... pinto wagon.

Thanks Eric (and Andy too) for the feedback / info.  The idea of doing a brief Youtube video would be fantastic Eric.  If you ever have the opportunity to do so, let me know and I'll certainly check it out.  I'm sure many other builders would like to see it as well.  Great build you have going there.  cheers, tim

You have a unique skill set and the knowledge to put it to work.I personally would never have even considered attempting this type a project at my age but this certainly seems to be viable method of producing unique and intresting parts.The tutorial would be a great tool for those wanting to add to their arsenal of modeling skills.

thanks guys!    Im trying to stay motivated... its rough in the summer with 1:1 car stuff going on.  I have made a little progress on the engine assembly and cleanup.  Still working through the suspension design and trying to think as far ahead as possible.

Last weekend i was able to attend the SCCA major race at mid-ohio, snapped a couple formula car inspiration images.. this will help me get the steering rack and suspension in the front as realistic as possible.

and radiator ducting and placement

and some engine assembly photos... doing a lot of cleanup and adding detail where I can.

so not really much in the way of progress... i blame this.

Can't see photos at work but looking forward to seeing them at home. I know how that goes with the 1:1 project. I just finished getting my car back together and posted a quick video online that went viral and has gotten something stupid like 3.5million views.

thanks guys!    Im trying to stay motivated... its rough in the summer with 1:1 car stuff going on.  I have made a little progress on the engine assembly and cleanup.  Still working through the suspension design and trying to think as far ahead as possible.

Last weekend i was able to attend the SCCA major race at mid-ohio, snapped a couple formula car inspiration images.. this will help me get the steering rack and suspension in the front as realistic as possible.

45979E51-C801-4F08-AEA6-DD69CBD432BD.jpg

and radiator ducting and placement

A9C7E4CC-00F0-49A4-BCFC-15DBD666FB60.jpg

and some engine assembly photos... doing a lot of cleanup and adding detail where I can.

DEDF72B5-1680-47D0-B1C2-FCC110E96C4F.jpg

C5033E06-EBEC-449B-932A-CE06989FF0B0.jpg

so not really much in the way of progress... i blame this.

E3EBD8F9-4593-4BD4-B444-45B5620F1E25.jpg

If I had this to play with, I wouldn't get anything done. Very cool ride.