Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell vs. Aoshima Datsun 720, any reccomendations?

I found an unbuilt Datsun 620 that I am working on and now I am thinking about building a 720 as well. I have been looking at them online and notice they both have the same style fender flares. That made me wonder if one is just a rebox of the other. Could it be? Also can either be built as stock or are the flares molded in? Any have experience or recommendations?

I just finished the Aoshima...

I haven't built (or bought) the Revell kit (I was wondering the exact same thing as I built this one though),so I can' treally comment on building the Revell kit. The Aoshima went together nicely,with the only hangup being location of the kit included muffler being in the way to install the tailgate/tail light panel (1 piece),I used a different muffler from my parts box since it can't really be seen anyways. The chassis details are all simplified/molded in other than the few pieces of the suspension assemblies (pre-lowered ride height right out of the box),and they went together nicely,with poseable front wheels no less.  It was a fun and quick build,one could add lots more paint details than I did (on the chassis,for example)...I didn't bother,because I didn't think it would look worth the effort. If you can find one reasonably priced,I'd so go for it,like I said,it was a simple,clean,fun build with not a lot of hangups. (I have another version of it in my stash). As for building it stock....it would take some work to do. It's suspension pieces are pre-lowered for a nice ground hugging stance,you would have to calculate the amount to raise it's ride height a bit,and then there's the molded-on fender flares that would need removed (and then you would need to scratchbuild the stock "lips" around the wheelwell that the 1:1's had),and there's nothing resembling a stock seat in the kit,though other than the included low-back bucket seats (I used late model Chevy S10 bucket seats in mine),the interior wouldn't need much more than a bench or stock-style buckets to make it look the (stock) part.

Myself,I'm wondering if a kitbashing of the 2 with say,a GTR drivetrain would be feasible,using Revell's engine compartment/body and frame with Fujimi's pre-lowered suspension pieces and such for a hotrodded full detail version. Sounds interesting to me,anyways :)

The revell version has factory style wheel flares where the aoshima uses an aftermarket style. The revell has better body proportions in my eyes. They are both 1/24 scale. The KingCab revell  offered in the past as a 4x4 and a 2x4 was 1/25 scale. 

That made me wonder if one is just a rebox of the other. Could it be? Also can either be built as stock or are the flares molded in?

Not even close to being a reboxed, hands down the Revell body is much better than the Aoshima body, and like it was pointed, the Aoshima body seems off compared to the Revell body. 

• 2 months later...

The Aoshima kit has wonky proportions, and is a re-issue of an old Araii or Imai kit, I think. (both companies are OOB and their molds sold off. I know Bandai got most of their sci-fi kits.)

There is a detailed Revell (Monogram re-issue already on this board)

As well as a YouTube review

:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSjQsehhyTo

Edited by Zarana-X

The Revell is a full detail kit, with an engine and 4 wheel drive. The Aoshima is a lowered curbside 4WD. Both have the flares molded to the body. The kits have nothing in common other than the subject matter.