Model Cars Magazine Forum

AC Ace Bristol

afx

While doing research for my many Cobra projects I read that the Bristol engine is a derivative of the BMW 328.  I have always wanted to build the father of the Cobra so I tracked down a Heller BMW 328 kit.  It’s a great little kit with a surprising amount of detail for the engine.  However I thought I could raise the detail level with a little scratch building.

DSCN1362 thumb JPG 8d954a6a5eba020a2133b2ffd72671c7

The cylinder head has as a deep well in the center.  The kit provides no real detail here so I fabricated the intake tubes and the cross sleeves for the push rods.

Bristol 100 series 6 cylinder 2 litre engineDSCN3491

I striped the chrome plating from the kit carbs.  The air cleaner cover is flat on top where it should have a small recess in the center.  Using a Dremel ball bit turned in my fingers I created this recess.

63 AC Ace-Bristol-Rdstr-DV-10-GCA e01DSCN3493

I’ll added small PE header flanges under the carbs to replicate their mounting flanges.

DSCN3494

I extended the oil fill tube using some solid rod and fabricated a cap with a punch out of flat stock.

DSCN3497

Edited by afx

Thanks guy's for the interest.  Here I have added pulley detail, water inlet/outlet and an oil filter from the parts box.  Click on the pictures to see them full scale.

DSCN3505

Edited by afx

I've wanted to do this conversion, but the amount of bodywork required for the nose area, under the headlights, is beyond my capabilities. Looking forward to your work there.

Yea there are some challenges ahead.  I should have waited to start the thread after I was sure I could pull off the body mods.  I guess we'll all find out together. :)

Yea there are some challenges ahead.  I should have waited to start the thread after I was sure I could pull off the body mods.  I guess we'll all find out together. :)

I'm rooting for you. This can be done, and I want to see it -- I'm sure there are others who feel the same and want to see your solution.

Edited by sjordan2

Very nice. As I'm sure you know, the AC body borrowed several styling elements from the Carrozzeria Touring-designed Ferrari 166 MM Barchetta, most notably the sculpting around the grille.

ferrari-166-mm-1.jpg

The 166 MM is one of my favorite Ferraris.

I blunted the nose.  Then after cutting a notch in the lower valance I glued in a piece of square bar. Then started shaping.  Still needs to have the sides blended in and a lot more shaping but a decent start.

DSCN3507DSCN3509

Edited by afx

Sorry to take you to task over this but the BMW engine was derived from the Bristol Unit, not the other way about. Nice work though, an interesting project. For the more budget conscious the Ace also came with a 2.6 Six Cylinder engine from the Ford (England) Zephyr

The BMW 328 (1936-1940) pre-dates the founding of Bristol Cars in 1945.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Cars

Pre-war BMW designs, The Aldington Brothers and the Early Cars[edit]

HJ Aldington, a director of the Bristol Aeroplane Company affiliated AFN (BMW's pre-war concessionaire in the UK), used his British Army connections to visit the bombed BMW factory in Munich several times post-war. In 1945 he took plans for BMW cars back to Britain,[9] and BMW chief engineer, Dr. Fritz Fiedler was also employed. Its first car was the Bristol 400, prototyped in 1946 and introduced at the 1947 Geneva Motor Show. Derived from immediately pre-WW2 BMW products (thanks to a connection to BMW through Frazer Nash), the chassis was based on the BMW 326, the engine on the 328,[12] and the body on the 327. Even a variation on the famous double-kidney BMW grille was retained. Bristol, however, did a thorough examination of the car's handling and ended up with performance "only matched by outright purpose-built competition cars".[13] 700 of the Bristol 400 were built, with 17 receiving "handsome" drophead bodywork from Pininfarina.[7]

Edited by afx

Sorry to take you to task over this but the BMW engine was derived from the Bristol Unit, not the other way about. Nice work though, an interesting project. For the more budget conscious the Ace also came with a 2.6 Six Cylinder engine from the Ford (England) Zephyr

Thanks Richard.  Do you have any recommendations for a kit source for the Zephyr engine?  A Ruddspeed 2.6 Ace is another project I would like to tackle.

63-Ac-Ace-Ruddspeed-DV-12-PBC_e001.jpg

Appologies, I was working on (it would seem flawed) general knowledge Il remember to wiki next time. On the point of a model engine, im not sure that you will find a Ford Zephyr larger than 1/43, maybe try a  modifying a straight six from a Mustang or Thunderbird?

Edited by Richard McClelland
spelling

Filled in the bumperette openings and added some solid triangular rod to create a clean transition into the mustache, then added filler.  I make my filler by melting bits of plastic scraps and sprue in liquid cement to create a goo.  I prefer this to standard fillers.  Since it's plastic it doesn't shrink and once setup is quite hard.  It allows me to create sharp lines and edges.

I still have some work to do on the symmetry and some more shaping but it isn't too far off.

DSCN3511-viDSCN3539

Bristol used/reproduced  the BMW engines under  license from AFN. The technology was pre war, BMW 328 for example. Bristol only started to manufacture cars after WW2.

The Ace had 3 engines during it's lifespan, AC's own engine, the BMW sired Bristol engine and then the Ford straight six, which with triple carbs and a Mays cylinder head was the fastest of them all.

Great work on the front end JC.

Edited by dublin boy