Model Cars Magazine Forum

Testors Gloss Coat

This is a brand new can that I bought at Hobby Lobby. Look what happened when it dried. Not very shiny is it? It's not mislabeled Dull Coat either. It does not smell like Dull Coat. When I de-canted it is very cloudy. It does give it that satin look that is pretty popular in the 1:1 custom world.

Mike

DSCN7925.JPG

DSCN7926.JPG

Edited by Mike 1017
missing word

Looks wrong to me, either your base coat was so rough that the clear can't shine or the clear coat is bad. I'll pick #2. I'm not a fan of testors, and I'm reminded why everytime I give their products another chance at redemption. I just got a bottle of their acryl flat clear that left a gloss finish (more gloss than the base coat)... My opinion is their products are over priced and low quality across the board. You would be better off using the Dupli Color products I've never had an issue with their stuff. Quality is always good and I haven't had any problems with them being too hot. And their lacquer smells like lacquer, no funny business with the chemistry.

For the clear coat, it could have been humidity. I used some Testors Wet Look Clear Gloss a while back. I had used this same can before and it worked fine. This time, I sprayed two bodies and they both came out dull. One of them I resprayed the next day and it came out okay. The other I polished out.

Tamiya clear, the Clear Champion! Aaahh! :lol:

trasparente-spray-ts13-clear-tamiya-8501

I was going to say the same.

Mike, you know me. I have a simple rule on spray can paint: Tamiya or no spray can. 

(OK, Tamiya, please, give me my 10%:D already)

The stuff is hard to find and expensive here, but I pay happy. Never, ever had a bad result.

I use a lot of Testors and Model Master paints, both enamel and acrylic, but only for airbrushing.  

Interesting. As noted in another posting here in Model Building Questions and Answers, I'll be using the Testors clear gloss lacquer over decals in the next day or two. I'll be post my results there. I too, like Jesse and Tulio above, prefer Tamiya lacquer over all others. But, since this will be going over Testors Plum Crazy lacquer, I decided to stick with the same brand.

Don't get me wrong, I have used, and still have, the Testors Lacquer clear and it works great, but, I have always gotten better results with Tamiya. Yes, not cheap,but well worth it. 

But enough of what we like, 

So, OP, which clear did you have? Was it the dull coat?