Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '41 Plymouth

Xingu

I started my first build in about 35 years, the AMT '41 Plymouth 2N1 Coupe. Actually this is my mulligan. I originally started building a 1/32 Lindberg 1925 Ford Model T Street Rod, but couldn't find 2 pieces in the kit that would go together without some serious massaging. I put that kit aside until I develop better skills and far more patience.

I plan to build the Plymouth in the stock configuration. In my research, I noted that the front body seam is in a different location so I am attempting to make it more represent the 1:1 car. I still have work to do. Here are a few photos. Have not gotten to far yet and I intend to take my time, so some time may pass before the next update. I am open to critiques, but keep in mind, this is basically my first build and I have limited skills :)

Good luck with this build, sounds like you are jumping right in. Only advise I would give is don't sweat too many details, Just have fun and avoid getting too bogged down with details that won't be noticed and not completing it.

Edited by Rider

Good luck with this build, sounds like you are jumping right in. Only advise I would give is don't sweat too many details, Just have fun and avoid getting too bogged down with details that won't be noticed and not completing it.

I figured the body seam was an easy mod to start with. I see on the wonderful builds on this site and figure I have to start somewhere.

Your off to a great start. Love the lines of those old coupe's I'd leave it in primer, slap a set of Cragars on it, put a Thrush decal in the quarter window, and Ta-Da!!! Instant hot rod!!! At least for an old fart like me. :lol::P

I helped a friend of mine hot rod a '39 Plymouth Coupe. We tubbed it, modified the suspension and dropped a 318 in it. Was a fun car. We just didn't seal the interior well enough and exhaust fumes kept trying to kill us.

Take your time.

Do your research, get the details right, and don't worry about posting updates on any sort of "schedule." Post when you have something to post, no matter the schedule. There's no time limit. Better you take your time and get it right than worry about keeping us updated.

B)

Harry has it right ... this is supposed to be enjoyable.

The Plymouth is a great kit and something different. I've had the L-head Six from this kit on the bench for a few years as I worked on a curbside '51 Plymouth promo, my first car. The plan was to display the engine with a lot of detail alongside the car.

I took about the same time off from building, but now am so happy to be back with so much more available to build, including my time!

Great kit to start off with; it goes together pretty well and there's plenty of online reference material. I've built three or four of these, the first one when AMT first released it, for my Dad, who had a 1:1 when he was a teen.

Slowly plugging away. Interior has a few coats of Tamiya Champagne Gold that I did not like (came out far more silver than gold). Put a single coat of Tamiya Light Sand Metallic over the Champagne Gold. This was a lot closer to what I was trying to achieve. Should be painting the body sometime this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

My hat is off to all the builders that make BMF look like real chrome trim on a car. In my defense, this is my very first time trying this. I can see this is a skill that will only be honed by lots of practice. I am also accident prone, so working with a scalpel comes with its own challenges. No one was bloodied up.......this time. Model is not perfect, but I am enjoying building it.

Good color choice.  This body style really looks best in a rich, dark tone such as you have chosen.

If you're interested, I have several high resolution detail pictures of '41s that I shot at various car shows.  I'm happy to share.

In the mean time, keep having fun and building those skills.

You refer to limited skills. I don't think there's anyone here that's more green than I am. I joined here a little over a year ago, and have already messed up about four paint jobs. I'm slowly getting better (I think), but I'm in no rush, and I don't feel that I have to compete with anybody, so I'm just trying to learn at my own pace, hopefully creating something I'm happy with in the process.

• 2 weeks later...

This one is complete and made it to the Under Glass section.

I am glad I decided to take up modeling again. It is very satisfying. I am actually aiming to complete everything I start, no matter how it turns out. Back in my youth, I would put everything back in the box if I messed something up. Now I try to figure out how to fix my mistakes. I am getting a lot of practice.