Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scratch built Dyno Tester

Riley Customs

A friend asked me to build him a Dyno tester to display a funny car he is building. He wanted it to show it being tested as if he was working on the motor. I am not quite done as there is no sending units for which the computer can take readings from. They are outside drying and will be installed tomorrow. Then I will be able to connect the wire from the lap top. Any thoughts ? I also have to touch up the black and yellow caution paint as I had a little trouble with the tape lines. No biggie !

20160430_183316.jpg

20160430_183343.jpg

20160430_183359.jpg

Looks good. I like it. Dont forget to add straps and anchors to strap the cars down. Maybe a large fan also, and exhaust ducting. Not trying to ruin what you have, because I like it, and might build one myself, but I dont think they dyno funny cars. The engines make way too much power( Matco reports they use a torque measuring device in the rearend of their top fueler, that has spiked at 12,000 ft lbs), and the conditions would be very dangerous considering the potential energy the car can produce at full power. They might run the engine alone on an engine dyno, on alcohol, but I think they use other measurements, and calculate approximates. Still very cool. 

Edited by drummerdad
more info

I too thought the idea of a funny car on it sounded odd but hey each to their own. I just build what is asked of me LOL. I have thoughts of putting some chains on it but I need to stop at the craft store to find something to use. Everything I have is to big.

I agree. If thats what your friend wants, its no big deal. Typically they use nylon ratcheting straps on dynos, to position the wheels exactly where they want them. I also just remembered, wheel chocks for the front tires. The dyno is a great idea. I might make a mobile one on a trailer, like you see at car shows. 

• 1 month later...