Model Cars Magazine Forum

Steve Magnante blog on models ( Slant 6 )

Some pretty good stuff there, beside the old 1/4 scale Revell slant six model kit. Speaking of that kit. I wonder how it sold back in the day? I'm guessing not well. For unlike the Visible V-8, where you see a lot of, I've only seen the slant six kit once, that I can remember. I wonder if Revell still has the dies for the kit? Even if it was a poor seller in the past, I have a feeling it might do well on the market today. When the kit was first out, anything other than a V-8 was not cool. Now with history of the Chrysler slant six, I think it would sell better today.

very cool !    I have that slant six kit . made a trade for it many years ago , someone put the pistons on the crankshaft and looks like they  tried to assemble the engine block but failed .

the electronic parts are still sealed. one of my prized possessions .

When I was in high school in 1980's, I was a member of the KEY (Kiwanis Educated Youth) club. We helped the local retirement home set up a white elephant sale and I purchased this kit for a dollar. It had never been built and still was mostly attached to the sprues. I built it and it worked as advertised. Unfortunately, it like almost all the models of my youth, failed to make all the moves I made over the years. Those kits built or unbuilt go for a pretty penny now.

The man to ask more details is Jim Keeler, who sometimes posts on model car boards, who worked for Revell in this era.   Chrysler actually sent one of the new Slant Six Aluminum block engines to Revell.  After they finished using it for their work, the engine was abandoned in Keeler's office.  Tex Smith was in the office one day talking about his new custom rod, and said he wanted to put an unusual engine in it.  Keeler pointed to the slant six and offered it up.  So the engine in the XR6 actually is the one that the Revell once owned.

I have one of the Revell slant sixes, bought at that magic auction place.  It had been partly assembled, which means some kid screwed up and gave up. The seller said "I think it's complete" and upon receiving it, it was obvious that it was missing an awful lot!  And it had been oiled, so it had to be soaked in degreaser as it appeared to have been bathed in Vaseline. 

The irony is that maybe a year earlier I had found some rather large slant six parts in a bag in a model vendors junk box. Identifiable things like the valve cover, upper manifold and air cleaner. He wanted $5 for the bag so I took it.  Wouldn't ya know the one I bought needed all those parts!

From the unofficial eBay glossary:

"I haven't checked it, but it looks complete".  When they've got other items that are complete, they're shouting it from the highest rooftop.  It's just dumb luck that the only incomplete items are the ones they didn't check!

Should read: "I did check it, it's not complete but if I position everything just the right way it will look complete".

"Ran when parked" = "but parked nevertheless...there had to be a reason!"

From the unofficial eBay glossary:

"I haven't checked it, but it looks complete".  When they've got other items that are complete, they're shouting it from the highest rooftop.  It's just dumb luck that the only incomplete items are the ones they didn't check!

Should read: "I did check it, it's not complete but if I position everything just the right way it will look complete".

"Ran when parked" = "but parked nevertheless...there had to be a reason!"

and "I don't know anything about model cars, so this big lot is 'as is'".  But the manage to put the only two desirable parts front and center on top of the piles of empty sprue and broken common parts!