Model Cars Magazine Forum

Frustrations!

I admit that I have been away from the bench for a very long time.  But still, it is very frustrating to go back to a model to pick up where you left off only to have it fall apart in your hands!  Or to find out that one of your best paint jobs (all be it outsourced) has been destroyed by water, and I'm not sure if I can clean it without destroying it (see first part of rant). :angry:  Makes me want to just chuck what I've done and start again fresh.  It's almost like they're rebuilds.  So frustrating! :(

Don't really know.  I just touched the IVECO, and the dash came apart.  On the Kenworth that has the water spots, I picked it up to inspect the damage, and the fuel tanks came off.  Then the airtank came off!  But you know, if I wanted to remove a part from a model, I'd have to basically destroy it to get it off.

Don't feel too bad.

I was building a 1/12 scale 1930's era Bentley... very detailed kit. I added a ton of scratchbuilt details, spent many, many hours on the thing. Then, when it was about 75% finished, I dropped it onto the ceramic tile floor.

It basically disintegrated. I had to spend almost as much time fixing all the broken parts and rebuilding it than I had already spent to get it to the point it was before I dropped it. I was very frustrated. But I did repair and rebuild, and finally finished the dang thing. So don't get too frustrated... it's all "fixable." :)

Don't feel too bad.

I was building a 1/12 scale 1930's era Bentley... very detailed kit. I added a ton of scratchbuilt details, spent many, many hours on the thing. Then, when it was about 75% finished, I dropped it onto the ceramic tile floor.

It basically disintegrated. I had to spend almost as much time fixing all the broken parts and rebuilding it than I had already spent to get it to the point it was before I dropped it. I was very frustrated. But I did repair and rebuild, and finally finished the dang thing. So don't get too frustrated... it's all "fixable." :)

bentley2_zpsad1d7106.jpg

i have a western star  that i had just gotten done that i let sit on the work bench to dry and it rolled off or something and found it in a pile the next day it's still in the box

Sorry to hear about those frustrating mishaps.....I've had a few of those happen, myself.....I'll never forget the time I was building an old Scania cabover.....I built the engine and painted it up real fine.....I don't know what possessed me to put it on the bumper of the truck to dry...Still trying to figure that one out.......The next day, I went to work as normal.....Couldn't wait to get home to finish it up.....Well....You should have seen me trying to figure out where my dadgum engine went....Then, I remembered putting it on the bumper..... :unsure: So....With flashlight in hand, I found one piece about a block from the house; another piece about ten paces or so from that one, and the rest had been run over several times from the looks of the carnage...... OK....No problem.....I pieced it back together as best I could, and reasoned it wouldn't be seen much, anyway.......Got it all back together and into the chassis nice and neat like....Came time for the marriage of my beautifully painted cab and the a fore mentioned chassis, and you guessed it.....It somehow fell out of my hands and onto the floor.....Bounced and flipped a couple of times before it all settled into 3, distinct pieces.....Well.....All I can say, Man.....You're not alone....Stuff happens.....I did, eventually finish the model, but needless to say, it will never see a contest..... :)

Edited by kilrathy10

I'm in the same position you are Jim. I would love to be at the bench more but it's been hard to get back into the groove. I got excited and inspired (Which is exactly what I needed) and build a International Scout Pro Touring build. I spent piles of time massaging a new frame under it, lots of chassis mods to make everything work only to botch the paint job. That set me off big time. Just wanted to pack it in and say the heck with it. I did finish it but am not happy with it. So I looked for something else to plug away at but this time I did the paint first. No way was I going to put a second of time into anything unless I knew the paint was good. 

I'm chillin now, puttering away. I'm just doing a box stock (Paint and Glue) to get back into the swing of things. No high detail, just taking it easy. I need to get some things off the bench for some quick satisfaction and get myself back up to speed.

20160128_153445.jpg

20160128_152859.jpg

I built the engine and painted it up real fine.....I don't know what possessed me to put it on the bumper of the truck to dry...Still trying to figure that one out.......The next day, I went to work as normal.....Couldn't wait to get home to finish it up.....Well....You should have seen me trying to figure out where my dadgum engine went....Then, I remembered putting it on the bumper..... :unsure: So....With flashlight in hand, I found one piece about a block from the house; another piece about ten paces or so from that one, and the rest had been run over several times from the looks of the carnage...... 

I can identify!  I get to work one day and someone tells me there is a shoe on the back bumper of my Geo Tracker.  I go out to look and there is one of my favorite flip flops!  I drive home eagle eyed looking for the missing shoe.  No dice!  So once home I figure I'll go back out and drive the other direction.  I a few blocks away up at the corner of the highway, and there's my flip flop in the middle of the road.  Looked like it got run over a million times all day long!

My wife admitted that she found them out by the pool and was bringing them back to the house. She had no explanation why she put them on my back bumper! She felt guilty and bought me two different pairs of flip flops in the next few weeks.  Both pairs rubbed and hurt my feet. I wound up with a raw spot on top of my foot when I wore them.  So I never let her live it down.  And I never got a pair of shoes like the ones I had!

I can identify!  I get to work one day and someone tells me there is a shoe on the back bumper of my Geo Tracker.  I go out to look and there is one of my favorite flip flops!  I drive home eagle eyed looking for the missing shoe.  No dice!  So once home I figure I'll go back out and drive the other direction.  I a few blocks away up at the corner of the highway, and there's my flip flop in the middle of the road.  Looked like it got run over a million times all day long!

My wife admitted that she found them out by the pool and was bringing them back to the house. She had no explanation why she put them on my back bumper! She felt guilty and bought me two different pairs of flip flops in the next few weeks.  Both pairs rubbed and hurt my feet. I wound up with a raw spot on top of my foot when I wore them.  So I never let her live it down.  And I never got a pair of shoes like the ones I had!

LOL !!!!! Aww, Man.....I feel for you....I experienced a little heart ache, but you experienced actual pain......I guess it could have been worse for me..... :D I feel better, already.....

I'm in the same position you are Jim. I would love to be at the bench more but it's been hard to get back into the groove. I got excited and inspired (Which is exactly what I needed) and build a International Scout Pro Touring build. I spent piles of time massaging a new frame under it, lots of chassis mods to make everything work only to botch the paint job. That set me off big time. Just wanted to pack it in and say the heck with it. I did finish it but am not happy with it. So I looked for something else to plug away at but this time I did the paint first. No way was I going to put a second of time into anything unless I knew the paint was good. 

I'm chillin now, puttering away. I'm just doing a box stock (Paint and Glue) to get back into the swing of things. No high detail, just taking it easy. I need to get some things off the bench for some quick satisfaction and get myself back up to speed.

Gotta say.....That is one mean looking Scout, Man.....Excellent work.....