Model Cars Magazine Forum

76 Pontiac Grand Prix Project

DoctorLarry

After completing several 73-77 Pontiac projects, some friends asked if I had ever done a 73-77 Grand Prix.  I had not, but had several friends growing up who had real ones, including a Hurst T-Top car which was really nice.  I started by getting a bunch of pictures and then carved up one of my resin 77 Can Ams for a hood and nose.  The rest is a Revell 77 Monte Carlo snap-tite body, a bunch of strip styrene, some Jo-Han Cutlass parts and copious amounts of Squadron and Tamiya white putty.  All of the big parts are on it, now it is just final body sculpting and checking for symmetry.  After that, a resin casting. It looks like a blob now, but it is moving along nicely.

GP resin project 1.jpg

GP resin project 3.jpg

GP resin project 2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Making progress. Smoothing the body, sculpting body lines, checking the shape, and scribing in openings.  Also working on details (marker lights, tail lights, door handles and locks).  I hope to be done soon and creating the molds.

20160512_060212 (1).jpg

20160512_060243 (2).jpg

20160512_060317 (2).jpg

More progress. Shortened the front fenders-my scale was off.  Re-did the hood as a result.  Have most of the driver's side done.  I need marker lights and door handle/locks.  Passenger side is in body sculpting phase.  I hope to have this in resin soon.

20160516_062826.jpg

20160516_062807 (1).jpg

I really LIKE what I'm seeing here! This brings back some memories as I remember when these were new as a high schooler. In fact, this was our Driver's Ed car (a '77) and it along with the '76-'77 Olds Cutlass were some of my favorites of GM's "Colonnade" styling.

Forget the '78's----------GM really uglied those up with their new downsizing program, and it just wasn't the same. :(

You're actually doing something I've thought about for a long time, but just haven't had the ambition to try yet. Take Johan's '75 Cutlass and turn it into a '76-'77 Cutlass Supreme.

Aaaaahhh------maybe one of these days! ;)

And yes, you're right..........economies of scale won't let the major model manufacturers to make something like this unfortunately. It's up to us I guess out here in the lunatic fringe to make these cars ourselves as best we can.

Long term I want to keep doing collonade cars.  I want to do a 73 Buick GS and a 77 Cutlass 442.  The Jo-Han cars have the wheelbase and for some of the cars the basic roof line.  I used that for my Grand Am/LeMans/GTO cars.  This keeps me out of trouble and is fun to do.  The Pontiacs are really hard because of the complex body lines.  At some point I will do a 73 Chevelle SS as well.

One car I've not seen anyone attempt yet is the '76-'77 Buick Regal/Century twins. The formal rooflined model I always liked but I can't remember which model offered which. The rear end is especially nice on those with those low-set taillights.

Folks may poo-poo the '70's cars 'cuz to some they may be "boring". That may be true to an extent especially when it comes to performance, but a lot were pretty good looking cars considering the times. Certainly better than some of the stuff I see on the roads today!

One car I've not seen anyone attempt yet is the '76-'77 Buick Regal/Century twins. The formal rooflined model I always liked but I can't remember which model offered which. The rear end is especially nice on those with those low-set taillights.

I had a '75 Century for several years. I'd love to see a new kit of that.

Folks may poo-poo the '70's cars 'cuz to some they may be "boring". That may be true to an extent especially when it comes to performance, but a lot were pretty good looking cars considering the times. Certainly better than some of the stuff I see on the roads today!

The Regal has the formal roofline. It is a very nice-looking car, I must agree.

Charlie Larkin

The best data I have, is from the Buick brochure. My car was identical to the one in the background, but with wheels like the one in the foreground. I have only one, perhaps two photos of the real car.

1974%20Buick%20Century-02_zpshlhhnoxc.jp

Edited by Roadrunner