Model Cars Magazine Forum

'32 Ford 3 Window - Late 50's Hot Rod

Dennis Lacy

After a chill afternoon out in the garage the engine and chassis are completely assembled. I must have done all of the prep work right because nothing fought me. The colors I chose for this are based on what I already had on-hand. I figured I could put to use several partial spray cans that were collecting dust.

The engine and generator are Testors one-coat Fiery Orange. The valve covers, valley cover and intake manifold are aluminum metalizer. The carburetors are Testors Jet Exhaust with black bases and bright silver scoops. The headers are flat black. I decided to keep the extra detail simple with a Detail Master distributor and separators. 

Hosted on Fotki

For the chassis I went with Tamiya Semi-Gloss Black but opted to leave the floor in dark gray primer since the body will be left in primer as well. Again, I used the Fiery Orange for the axles and accented the orange with magnesium metalizer and sealed it all in Tamiya Gloss Clear. The exhaust is flat black like the headers. The front wheels were done in more Fiery Orange and the rear mags in magnesium metalizer. The whitewall inserts were shot in some flat white to get rid of the plastic look.

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

With the chassis out of the way, now I can get going on the body and interior. More soon!

B)

Took a break from painting last week, now I'm back on it. Got the body pieces and interior pieces in primer. Couldn't resist setting the primer body onto the chassis. Just getting some color on things, any kind of color other than white plastic, really helps you "see" the car. Got some expected flaws where I changed the trunk lid and some ghost etching where those awful mold seems were at the rear of the roof.

Wet sand, prime, repeat!

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

B)