Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Plymouth Fury. Update, 7/27, WHEW!

Steve, nice build you have going here on this 65 Fury. Your colors look good on it. By the way I to had a 68 Chrysler Newport when I was in high school with the same engine. 

That's a coincidence!

I had a '68 Newport in high school too!

Mine was a big 4 door sedan with a 383 2 barrel.

This Plymouth will be built with the 426 Hemi included in the kit.

Steve

Not really my favorite color combo either Kevin, but I like to mix it up a little. ^_^

Steve

I certainly understand that. I'm beginning to believe, at least from my own perspective, that color choices will make or break a car model, no matter what other work or detailing has been done.

I certainly understand that. I'm beginning to believe, at least from my own perspective, that color choices will make or break a car model, no matter what other work or detailing has been done.

I agree.

A bad color choice can really destroy a build.

But I do believe if you keep it within the realm of what was available in stock colors in a particular year, then it's just a matter of personal taste.

This car in a "Day Glow" green would just be horrendous!

But then again, I really hate most of those "modern" custom colors.

Steve

I'm hoping that now I'll be able to continue with this project.

Things didn't work out great, but I hope well enough to finish.

I have virtually ZERO paint left, so it will have to be good enough.

By the time I got to the final color coat, I was so short of paint that the hood got a little "grainy" but I should be able to work that out with the clear coats.

As long as the color matches, I'm not too worried about getting it shined up.

Steve

photo DSCN5298_zpstbs8vcaa.jpg photo DSCN5299_zpsow4gqfuo.jpg

I agree.

A bad color choice can really destroy a build.

But I do believe if you keep it within the realm of what was available in stock colors in a particular year, then it's just a matter of personal taste.

This car in a "Day Glow" green would just be horrendous!

But then again, I really hate most of those "modern" custom colors.

Steve

I think if the color goes with the car, irrespective of being an original color or not, I'm OK with it, but that's just my view. I've come to realize that I'm not a "serious" car modeler, just doing it for fun, so whatever I choose that makes me happy, is what I'll end up doing. There is no question that there are some really great hardcore auto modelers here, but I suspect I'll never be one of them.

Any updates on this one Steven?

Not much Dan.

I did finish up the clear coats, so now it just needs some cure time before the polishing can begin.

I also started a little prep work & got the color mixed for the interior.

I'm kind of working this in conjunction with my '62 Chrysler convertible project, so depending on how things progress, updates could be scarce.

But I will definitely keep everyone posted as to how they're moving along.

Steve

I think if the color goes with the car, irrespective of being an original color or not, I'm OK with it, but that's just my view. I've come to realize that I'm not a "serious" car modeler, just doing it for fun, so whatever I choose that makes me happy, is what I'll end up doing. There is no question that there are some really great hardcore auto modelers here, but I suspect I'll never be one of them.

I guess I can go along with that Kevin.

I build almost exclusively stock models so I like to keep them as close to factory colors as possible, but I'm not obsessive about it.

This project is a good example.

The color I used is actually a '61 Chevrolet color called "Fawn Beige", but it was what I had on hand & it's relatively close to '65 Plymouth "Medium Tan" or "Gold" & good enough for me.

Steve

I am enjoying this build immensely. I have a '65 Plymouth convertible in the queue to be done too. I was planning on doing a Pace Car Replica, but since the car had Fury III emblems on it, I was able to get a promo bench seat interior, an d a JoHan 426 Wedge/Torqueflite for it. I am still leaning towards white, with a blue interior and Up Top. MAMA%20Oct%202015%20024_zpsugyegp2n.jpg