Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford engine ID

I have this somewhat incomplete engine in my stash. It was listed as "Ford 351 Race". The valve covers have what appears to be Motorcraft over the Ford oval. The numbers on the chrome sprue are 029-4222, they won't come up on Google.Can someone help me ID it? Much appreciated.

I agree with everyone else, it's an AMT Nascar engine. As for what it represents, Ford Nascar engines of this period were based on the 351 Cleveland. You can tell the difference between the two Ford 351s by the valve covers, the Cleveland covers are rectangular with bolts in the upper corners while the Windsor covers are rounded on the top corners like a 289/302 cover. The water pumps are also different but that's sometimes hard to tell in kit form.

I know this may be more info than you care/need to know, but NASCAR engines at that time were based on a 351 Windsor style of block and intake but utilized 351C-based, canted valve cylinder heads.  The cylinder heads in this kit represent raised port Yates heads, as can be seen by the extra detail on the exhaust side.  As Brian said, the rectangular valve covers, with eight bolts is a dead give away that it's a Cleveland style head, given the context of the kit.  I have owned several 351C engines over the years, so felt compelled to provide a bit more info... LOL

NASCAR engines at that time were based on a 351 Windsor style of block and intake but utilized 351C-based, canted valve cylinder heads. 

Yep, exactly. Essentially an evolution of what they started with the Boss 302.

Those AMT NASCAR kits don't seem to get a lot of love, but most of the parts - including the engines - are pretty well done.

There. There was no carb and only half of one of the headers, so I drilled out ports and boltholes and left it like that. I may redo the back of the bell housing. What is the thing on the lower right front? Fuel pump?

IMG_3937.jpg

IMG_3938.jpg

IMG_3940.jpg

Edited by landman

There. There was no carb and only half of one of the headers, so I drilled out ports and boltholes and left it like that. I may redo the back of the bell housing. What is the thing on the lower right front? Fuel pump?

Looking good so far! The thing on the lower right is the pump for the dry sump system. It should have a bunch of braided hoses running in and out of it, to the oil pan, filter, oil cooler, etc.

Do a Google Image search for "nascar dry sump system" to get some ideas.

Looking good so far! The thing on the lower right is the pump for the dry sump system. It should have a bunch of braided hoses running in and out of it, to the oil pan, filter, oil cooler, etc.

Do a Google Image search for "nascar dry sump system" to get some ideas.

Thanks Steve.