Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1975 Corvette Kit

Mark, What great information on the MPC corvette's. Really do appreciate it as I can never get tired of learning more about these kits  (and all others ). Again, Thank you.     Jeff 

I don't have a complete '67 annual kit, but I'm pretty certain the plastic springs were replaced by metal ones. 

Have two started MPC '67 Corvette annuals packed into one box. Both have metal springs, and they are called out as metal on the side of the box.

I have an original Box art MPC 56-57 Vette.

Bought in Late 60's-early 70's.

It has the metal coils, not plastic

I have one I bought in late '66 or early '67 (judging from the paint job on the body, which I still have), and I would have sworn it had the metal springs. But I could be wrong--will have to dig it out and check.

• 3 weeks later...

A slight problem with the new "MPC" Corvette Roadster issue. I inspected some photos of the box contents and it the spindles are missing the "hooks" at the end of the mounting pins. The original spindles had mounting pins that were longer and had a hook at the end to fit into the grooved notches on the upper and lower A-arms. While the kit has the separate chromed lower A-arms, springs, and center frame locking part, the spindles are those from the later issued kits that did not have the operating suspension.

Luckily Round2 included the combined lower A-arm and spring assembly on one of the trees. It is on the tree with the catalytic converters. In the picture below you can see the hooks that I am referring too.

mpc75corvette-1-3.jpg

The next picture shows the none working suspension front suspension.

7.jpg

I also see the frame mounting tabs for the tow bar, but not the A frame for it. The rally gauge cluster that mounts on the dash is there and also the racing helmet, plus a four point roll bar.

Also included at no extra expense is the funky small block style fuel injection system on the chrome tree along with the single 4bbl & tri-power intake plus the "good" bag of snakes side pipes. There are two sets of "rotors" included, one on the chrome tree (like the original early MPC Corvette kits) and 1 set on the white plastic tree that has the catalytic converters.

I like the expanded decal sheet but would have liked to of had some gauge decals on it.

So, kind of kudos to Round2 for this kit with the metal springs and metal injector stacks (there is also a set of plastic ones on the chrome tree).

The original hooked spindle molds were probably modified a long time ago to remove the hooks and convert it to just a pose-able front end that (I think started with the 1976 version) but it's sad that Round2 is advertising a working front suspension when OOB it is not possible without modifying the spindles. A task that any reasonably talented modeler can accomplish if they wanted.

JUST A NOTE TO ALL WHO RECENTLY BOUGHT THIS NEW ISSUE MPC 75 VETTE====after looking mine over on the weekend, I noticed a problem...upon opening my decal sheet, and this sheet was sealed in plastic with the yellow paper cover on top,,,,the entire sheet has been badly compressed by the paper and air tight cello, thus causing all of the print to be badly 'pocked' or fish eyed for lack of a better description. the only way to fix, or if you will, hide this , would be to clear coat over them, but some of us do not always do that . I contacted Round2 this morning, and they are sending me out a new  sheet......if you like these, or intend using them on a build at some point, check yours if you haven't done so......maybe I just got a bum sheet, but thought I'd pass this along....the Ace...:huh:

• 2 weeks later...

anybody got a photo of contents of inside the box ..................of this kit? would like to see the injector stacks!

Doug, I got the kit last week, and would photo it for you but have no camera to post at present. however, regarding the stacks, the kit has the identical 8 aluminum spun pieces like Round2 sells separately . they are the tall type as well. I will try to borrow my friends camera later in the week and try to post all for you.......overall, a nice kit, molded in white, nice chrome, rally wheels, Vette aluminum  wheels, and open rallys in white that are very nice. big block automatic with 4 barrel, 3 deuces, or injectors. the decal sheet is very nice too, oh, and six tires....4 stock polyglas and 2 wide Goodyear baloneys for the rear, but no slicks......hope this helps....the Ace...^_^

A.C. I was hopeing the stacks would be teller then the ones Round 2 sell's !

well, I don't have the ones they sell,,,,but these look to be the same height to me, as are the chrome ones on the chrome tree.....i'll try to get some pics if I can.....the Ace...^_^

As long as the stacks have a bigger dieametar then the ones they sell all should be cool !

As long as the stacks have a bigger dieametar then the ones they sell all should be cool !

not sure about that, I think they are the same as the ones sold by RC2.  either way, the set of 8 are very sharp and useable for anything you want to build having that style of stacks,,,,,,doubt I'd use them on this Vette kit, but its a nice bonus if someone wants the kit regardless...the Ace...^_^

• 4 months later...

Well, I have this kit now. Only real Gripes?

1.Only 7 Plastic Injector Stacks on the Chrome tree. Confirmed this with a couple other buyers who had opened the kit. Odd, to say the least. While cleaning up the chrome tree, you would think somebody would have counted them. Of Course, maybe they did. That may be another reason we get the 'upgrade' turned metal stacks. Either way, not a deal breaker.

2. Tires are a big let down to me. The "Big" tires for the rear look lame to me, and at this price could we have 'please' gotten some of the Tampo Printed RWL tires that are in other kits?  A 1975 Model car would seem to be prime White Letter Tire territory. I'd have liked to have a better choice of 'stock' or 'race' tires for a kit that brags about wheel/tires options being so plentiful.

The amusing little luggage rack is great! The build options look good. Some odd little bits and pieces hiding on the sprues as others have stated. Moving higher on my "To Build" pile.

A slight problem with the new "MPC" Corvette Roadster issue. I inspected some photos of the box contents and it the spindles are missing the "hooks" at the end of the mounting pins. The original spindles had mounting pins that were longer and had a hook at the end to fit into the grooved notches on the upper and lower A-arms. While the kit has the separate chromed lower A-arms, springs, and center frame locking part, the spindles are those from the later issued kits that did not have the operating suspension.

Luckily Round2 included the combined lower A-arm and spring assembly on one of the trees. It is on the tree with the catalytic converters. In the picture below you can see the hooks that I am referring too.

mpc75corvette-1-3.jpg

The next picture shows the none working suspension front suspension.

7.jpg

I also see the frame mounting tabs for the tow bar, but not the A frame for it. The rally gauge cluster that mounts on the dash is there and also the racing helmet, plus a four point roll bar.

Also included at no extra expense is the funky small block style fuel injection system on the chrome tree along with the single 4bbl & tri-power intake plus the "good" bag of snakes side pipes. There are two sets of "rotors" included, one on the chrome tree (like the original early MPC Corvette kits) and 1 set on the white plastic tree that has the catalytic converters.

I like the expanded decal sheet but would have liked to of had some gauge decals on it.

So, kind of kudos to Round2 for this kit with the metal springs and metal injector stacks (there is also a set of plastic ones on the chrome tree).

The original hooked spindle molds were probably modified a long time ago to remove the hooks and convert it to just a pose-able front end that (I think started with the 1976 version) but it's sad that Round2 is advertising a working front suspension when OOB it is not possible without modifying the spindles. A task that any reasonably talented modeler can accomplish if they wanted.

heat the spindle ends to a knob that holds

There was a '75 convertible in 1:1, MPC previously issued this kit as a '76, of which there was no 1:1 convertible.    But the '74 offered the 454, and differences between '74-75 are trivial, so think of it as a mislabeled '74.. ;)   This kit has a neat set of unplated wide Rally wheels w/o center caps or trim rings, IIRC.

you are correct; they should sold it as a 1974