Model Cars Magazine Forum

Although I'm an out and out CAR modeller, there are times, like watching a particular Anime or cartoon when I loose all sense and build a plane! In this case the anime is Porco Rosso or Crimson Pig, flying the Savoia S.21 over the Adriatic Sea fighting Sky Pirates! The actual plane was first built in Italy in 1929. The film maker and director is Hayao Miyazaki.

Thanks guys. I'm now building a Macchi Castoldi MC 72 also a seaplane! If you Google Porco Rosso, this plane, it will show the other plane I've also built from the same film, the Curtiss R3C-0!

Edited by PatW

The Macchi Castoldi MC 72 still holds the absolute speed record for piston powered seaplanes at an average speed of 440mph. Quite a feat considering it was done in 1934, over 80 years ago.  I look forward to seeing it done. 

WONDERFUL! I love all things aviation from this period, and Porco Rosso is one of my favorite films. Most excellent sir. :D

The Supermarine S6B was another notable racing plane of the time, won the Schneider Trophy, and, designed by Reggie Mitchell, was the forerunner of the WW II Spitfire in many ways.

800px-Supermarine_S-6B.svg.png

And here's the Porco Rosso trailer (sorry it's not in English)

Thanks Ace-Garageguy, for your comments and info. The S6B is a favourite of mine too and as far as Porco goes I have it with English voice over saved on my Sky box (satellite TV recorder) and watch it on a regular basis! I like as your picture shows, where he lives on a beach in the sun, although he needs to start up the plane and fly out of his hideout to shop! I think the woman on the front of the magazine he's snoozing under is his love! She has a restuarant and bar where all of the sky pirates meet up, on it's own island nearby!

Oh Tony is Macchi is no more, the SMER kit is such a poor kit that after working on it for 5 days (fit problems/poor instructions/soft plastic/didn't like the paint) it was still nowhere right so I put it in the recycling bin that went yesterday!

In fact I'm selling all of my aircraft kits, 20+ due to poor quality and poor instructions. 

Edited by PatW

Oh Tony is Macchi is no more, the SMER kit is such a poor kit that after working on it for 5 days (fit problems/poor instructions/soft plastic/didn't like the paint) it was still nowhere right so I put it in the recycling bin that went yesterday!

In fact I'm selling all of my aircraft kits, 20+ due to poor quality and poor instructions. 

Sorry to read that, was really looking forward to seeing the Macchi built, but if a kit is unbuildable then there is no point even trying to salvage it. I have disposed of my fair share of inferior kits in the past, mostly no name brand Chinese cheapies.