Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nissan R390 GT1 LeMans

62 Parts

This is the Tamiya 1/24 scale kit of the Nissan R390 GT1 Le Mans car, and the body shell was spray-painted with Tamiya Metallic Blue over a base of Silver Leaf. Paint was polished up with MicroMesh 3200 grit thru 12000 grit, then rubbed up with Meguiar's Scratch-X. Mesh was added for vents and grills, and kit decals were used, as well as a few sponsor decals from Scale Motorsport.

A lot of stuff added to the engine bay - thermostats were added to the radiators and exhaust system,  hand-made shielded cable, fuel line,  transmission fluid box, and tail light wiring from Model Factory Hiro,  & spark plug wires from Detail Master. Exhausts were given a bit of Tamiya burnt metal powder pigments for added realism.

Driver electronics are fully wired from comm. boxes, to temp gauges, to front lights. Front brake air ducts were scratch-built with parts-box leftovers.

The P/E rivets and fast-release hood pins are from Scale Motorsport.

R390 Front View.JPG

Engine Details.JPG

Electronics.JPG

R390 from Above.JPG

Bob!!! Such great work with the wiring and plumbing and figuring out what goes where!!

Do you mind a tiny wee bit of constructive criticism?

All that work is so nice...why not opt to do a more realistic racing harness in there? It'd bump up the realism factor ridiculously. That's all...everything else is amazingly done :)

Edited by CFMgarage

Thank you everyone for the comments!

And Grego - I intend to take your advice and remove the seatbelt decal...you're absolutely right. I will make a new harness by cutting some masking tape, spray-painting the color, and adding P/E buckles and fasteners to "bump up" the realism as you say. I have some harness decals from Studio 27 -- I can cut those out on their backing with sharp curved scissors, brush-touch the paper edges, and apply to the finished harness with clear glue. That's what I'm gonna do.  thank you for seeing that!  I'll post before & after pictures here to show the difference.

By chance Grego, are you active in the Wounded Warriors Project?

Thank you everyone for the comments!

And Grego - I intend to take your advice and remove the seatbelt decal...you're absolutely right. I will make a new harness by cutting some masking tape, spray-painting the color, and adding P/E buckles and fasteners to "bump up" the realism as you say. I have some harness decals from Studio 27 -- I can cut those out on their backing with sharp curved scissors, brush-touch the paper edges, and apply to the finished harness with clear glue. That's what I'm gonna do.  thank you for seeing that!  I'll post before & after pictures here to show the difference.

By chance Grego, are you active in the Wounded Warriors Project?

That's an awesome idea Bob!! Glad you took my opinion/advice. I think it'll make it a lot more badass.

No, not active in WWP yet

Edited by CFMgarage

On the advice of fellow member Gergo, I removed the seatbelt decal I had originally used, and made my own out of painted masking tape. I added manufacturer decals from Slixx,

and P/E harness hardware from Detail Master. I think it looks a bit more realistic, thanks to Gergo for the suggestion!

Harness.JPG

Harness 2.JPG