Model Cars Magazine Forum

1979 Ford Mustang Convertible

V8 Trucker

The Monogram 1984 Mustang Convertible 5.0 LX !  One of my all time favourite kits ( in spite of some of its shortcomings ) .

Those wheels , while beautiful , are a pain to find tyres for ( in the 1:1 realm ) , as only Michilin made them .

Late Model Restoration supply sells actual 16" versions of the TRX wheels now! Which is awesome

Hey Jan, I agree - it's not my favorite Mustang either, but you made a beauty of a build with that kit!

Whether we care for the styling or not, that Fox body (plus the 5 litre powerplant) is what put Mustang back on the radar after several years of cars we'd rather forget. Also, without this car leading the way, we might not have the stunning new Mustangs burning up the streets today.

Hey Jan, I agree - it's not my favorite Mustang either, but you made a beauty of a build with that kit!

Whether we care for the styling or not, that Fox body (plus the 5 litre powerplant) is what put Mustang back on the radar after several years of cars we'd rather forget. Also, without this car leading the way, we might not have the stunning new Mustangs burning up the streets today.

Great model.  These things used to be everywhere on the streets back in the '80s, nice to see one done up as a daily driver.

Nice looking FOX drop-top you have there!

Grill, tail lights, lack of fog lights, and contour of the lower nose say 1983-early 84. The TRX suspension package was also dropped mid-84 for Fords 'Sport' quadra-shock set-up (on the V8 cars).

As to the 'not much difference between the 1979 Pace car and the 83+ cars'................not true. They are quite different even though the exterior sheetmetal looks the same. I could list the differences here, but it would end up looking like a book!

Edited by MarvinGardens

Those wheels , while beautiful , are a pain to find tyres for ( in the 1:1 realm ) , as only Michilin made them .

I had a 1979 Capri with the TRX suspension and wheels.   As you said the tires were very expensive and only lasted 25,000 miles or so.  I got rid of the car for other shortcomings at 35,000 miles, and had already replaced all four.

Great looking build! :D I'd love to find one o fthose kits (I'v efound a few,but it's always when I have no budget to buy it,hahaha :P )

As others have said,it is an '83/'84 (my dad had one a few years before I started driving in '88,his was an '84). Appearance differnces were minor between the '79 and these years,there were a few changes underneath as well,besides now sporting a 4 barrel carb and dual exhaust (1984 and newer cars) where the older ones (including the famed '79 Pace Car--I owned one as my 2nd car in 1990--and the '82 GT) had 2 barrels and single exhaust,and by mid 1984 the 4speed manual was replaced with a 5 speed,as well as Ford going to the Panhard bar and quad shock setup in the rear. There was lots of other subtle changes between years,but those are some of the bigger ones that I can remember.