Model Cars Magazine Forum

P-51 Mustang - my first plane build!

My first (and probably my last!) airplane build.  Made this for my father's Birthday over 3 days (staying up to 3am on the 3rd day counts, right?).

Its box stock, and not historically accurate, but it looks fine enough on the shelf.

Enjoy.

photo 4_zps4bmri6kl.jpg photo 5_zpssq9zdf41.jpg photo 3_zpspslbkwbu.jpg photo 5_zpssq9zdf41.jpg photo 6_zpspt9ba8xr.jpg photo 1_zpsshbmdaby.jpg photo 2_zpsr1uyhiol.jpg

Ditto what Ray said. Pretty darned nice for an express job. :)

Thanks!

I thought this would be a quick build. Only 59 parts? Base color is aluminum? How hard could it be?

Had plans to hand it over Saturday morning, which meant I had 3 evenings to work on it after the kids went to bed. First two nights was spent on paint. Wrestled with it hot 6 hrs Friday night - a solid 2 1/2 of that was fighting with the decals. No amount of Micro-Sol would make the checkered decals conform to the fuselage! Pretty happy with the end result. Dad was quite surprised too!

Thanks again to all for the compliments!

Is that the Monogram (now Revell) 1/48 kit? That's not a particularly easy kit to build. I know--I've done three of the things.

I'm pretty sure it's the same one. Don't remember the scale, but for sure it was a Revell kit.

Looks good to me, nice work on the Mustang.  Glad your Dad likes it, too.  The first plane I ever built was a P-51 as well.

Thanks!

The old guy is who got me in the hobby as a kid. The crazy idea started in March when I brought him with me to a model show at the Canadian Warplane Museum in Hamilton, Ontario. He said it brought back memories of building his favourite plane - the P-51. Convenient place for the inspiration.

Long story short, he wanted to get back into the hobby, but didn't think he could do it with his eyes & arthritis. 

Thanks!

I think that if I were to do it again, I would cut the checkered decals into strips & apply them that way. At least they would be easier to conform over the contours of the nose.

Edited by Intmd8r

Very nice build on that plane as I prefer those Mustangs over the four wheeled versions. I built a plane a couple years back so that I could hang it from my ceiling of my den/model room. It was the Revell Texan, and probably the first plane kit that I've built since 50 years ago.

That looks like a good build to me especially considering that its the Revell kit. The last time I built one of those was about 30-ish years ago. I've got a Tamiya Mustang in the stash as well and one day I hope to build it.

You'll love it, it fits together like a dream.