Model Cars Magazine Forum

Favorite European Bands

DaveM

Providing you like a heavier, more modern rock sound, another great German band that performs in the English language are The Guano Apes...

I also like the punk-rock band Die Toten Hosen, but their songs are in German.

There is also Alphaville, with their huge hit Forever Young.

Okay, this is why these threads are fun.  I just listened to "Of Monsters And Men" and ended up checking out a couple more of their tunes.  Little talks is a good tune by them too.  Not exactly the style I usually listen to, and they look younger than most of our kids, but some really fun stuff.  Cathie really seems to like them, too.  I enjoy following these music threads and checking out all of the new (to me) bands.  Cathie thinks they are the Icelandic version of Cloud Cult.  I think they are a bit looser and more organic than Cloud Cult, myself.  

I was also wrong in my post earlier in this thread.  We should have dedicated a thread to Icelandic artists.  I did not realize there were two of them!

Lets keep posting.

I've been listening to a lot of symphonic metal lately and Nightwish from Finland is probably one of the best. Going for 20 years now, and been through three excellent female leads. This is a favorite featuring the second lead singer Anette Olzon.

Fav Euopean bands. So many great bands, how to narrow this down?

I won't bother posting up any Pink Floyd, as we all know what they sound like.

Pop Will Eat Itself - absolutely love these guys. Have been collecting their music and merch since the very early 90s.

In Flames - love my metal, and these guys are in constant rotation in the truck.

Rammstein - Can't say enough good things about these guys. 

Keaton Henson - awesome songwriter. Love the darkness of his work.

Anyone interested in some obscure stuff? :P

Okay then, how about some bands from the countries of former Yugoslavia?

To begin with, one of the most interesting currently active bands in this part of the world has to be Laibach. They are a Slovenian avant-garde, industrial, neo classical dark wave band who perform in the Slavic languages of former Yugoslavia, English and German (their name is the German name of Slovenian capital Ljubljana, which was official during the Nazi occupation of Yugoslavia)...

They have been around since 1980 and have toyed with contoversial topics/themes through new/diverse music styles ever since... They are often credited as a major source of inspiration for Rammstein among others, and are in-fact referred to as "Rammstein for adults", but have remained on the verge of worldwide commercial success due to their often shocking fascist-not-to-say-nazilike getup (yes, even more so than Rammstein), and your first impression may be that they support the worst sort of dictatorial/totalitarian regimes, but please rest assured it is all meant to be ironic and the more you get into the band's work the clearer it becomes (interesting trivia, however, is that they recently actually performed in North Korea as the first western band ever to do so!)... Without further ado, here are a few examples of what they do (the first few are from their most recent album Spectre), but check out more for yourselves... It's certainly an experience!

Edited by PowerPlant

I can't post links right know but if you go on you-tube and check out The Hillbilly Moon Explosion you won't be disappointed. They are a Swiss rockabilly band with Italian singer Emanuela Hutter. Check out a song called  My love for evermore featuring Sparky from Demented are Go (Welsh Psychobilly band). I would love to see these guys have some success here in the states but if I transfer to England next year one of the things I'm going to do is catch them in concert. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rlYPb2plaY Ha! I just beat the system and figured out how to post a link. The network police are probably circling me right now.

Edited by MGL

Ahhh..  Europe is so easy for me.  :)  Let's see:

Gamma Ray, Helloween, Iron Savior, Lordi, Alestorm (pirate metal), Amberian Dawn, Avantasia/Edguy, Battle Beast, Demons & Wizards, DragonForce, Firewind, Sabaton, Hammerfall, Stratovarius....  I could go on and on...:)