Model Cars Magazine Forum

Favorite European Bands

DaveM

We've had threads for Canadian and Ozzie bands.  Let's go for European bands.  British bands should probably have their own thread, so let's keep this one limited to the rest of the Continent.  Do you think ABBA was the hottest group out there?  Bjork?  (Iceland is Scandinavia after all)  Are you a huge Scorpions fan?  Kraftwerk your cup of tea?  Most European bands were limited a bit in the American market by language.  Very few foreign language songs made it big over here, and translated versions tend to reek.  Some bands performed in English.  

I'll start off with a few that I have been listening to recently.

I was into these guys way back in Middle School.  Their song Hocus Pocus made them known over here, but they did a lot of other great music.  

A German band that I originally listened to because their singer ended up in Uriah Heep...

here is a bonus track from them.  Nobody else can totally rock out a French Horn like this!

Lastly, I have been listening to these guys lately.  They split with the lead singer and reformed under a name that I don't want to post.  (Not one of the seven words you can't say on TV, but a drug reference...)  Nina Hagen went onto fame by herself.

Okay.  Let's see what you guys come up with for this one.  After this thread runs its course, I can start a British Bands thread.  That one will be pretty easy after this one!

Scorpions were a great band. I have RCA Records studio tapes from the mid '70s buried somewhere. I got those when I worked as an engine room helper in the building where RCA's Manhattan recording studios were located.

Then, there's Spider Murphy Gang and Strassenjungs from Germany and Plastique Bertrand from France

There are so many great European music groups, but to stick to the ones that perform in the English language, I'd have to mention Within Temptation - a Dutch symphonic metal band with amazing female vocalist Sharon den Adel, and Swedish punk-rock band Millencolin... Of course, I also always keep mentioning the Croatian surf-rock band The Bambi Molesters on this forum, but it's because they really are a fantastic band :D

There are so many great European music groups, but to stick to the ones that perform in the English language, I'd have to mention Within Temptation - a Dutch symphonic metal band with amazing female vocalist Sharon den Adel, and Swedish punk-rock band Millencolin... Of course, I also always keep mentioning the Croatian surf-rock band The Bambi Molesters on this forum, but it's because they really are a fantastic band :D

Yup, gotta agree. Too bad that the band doesn't tour much, though.

Ok, a little obscure music trivia...

Everyone knows that ABBA was huge in Europe. They were also very popular in Japan and Australia. They had an impressive string of hits on the European, Japanese, and Australian pop charts... they were the Beatles of their day, in Europe at least. But they knew that to be a real success, they had to crack the US market. Yeah, they had a few hits here in the states... Fernando, Waterloo, Take a Chance on Me, Dancing Queen, etc... but they never really made it big in the US.

So they came up with a brilliant idea. ABBA teamed up with ZZ Top in a last-ditch effort to make it really big in the US. They called the hybrid band A2Z... and here's the result of Scandinavian pop mixed with Texas blues...

Iceland isn't on the Continent... ;)

True.  I was just thinking that a thread for favorite Icelandic bands would probably not be the most successful thread in board history.  :D  I suppose if you are going to get technical, then we would have to call it    "Favorite non UK related member of the E.U. or other European political structure, or general geographic area band."    

I wonder if the Duchy of Grand Fenwick has any good bands.  I think we are going to see mostly German, Dutch and Scandinavian bands with this thread.  I don't remember too many French,  Italian, Portuguese,  or other bands from the day.  

When I visited in Europe as a kid in 1977, this was the hottest song going.and they were Spanish.  I think I may have had the only copy of their 45 in the U.S.  Our band even played it once, when we had two female singers.  One person clapped twice, and then,  silence.  

I think these guys are Swiss....  I always thought they were fun, but I have eclectic taste in music.

Ok, a little obscure music trivia...

Everyone knows that ABBA was huge in Europe. They were also very popular in Japan and Australia. They had an impressive string of hits on the European, Japanese, and Australian pop charts... they were the Beatles of their day, in Europe at least. But they knew that to be a real success, they had to crack the US market. Yeah, they had a few hits here in the states... Fernando, Waterloo, Take a Chance on Me, Dancing Queen, etc... but they never really made it big in the US.

So they came up with a brilliant idea. ABBA teamed up with ZZ Top in a last-ditch effort to make it really big in the US. They called the hybrid band A2Z... and here's the result of Scandinavian pop mixed with Texas blues...

Kinda late for your April Fools aren't ya Harry?

Scorpions would top my list, but there are a few.

Trust is the only French metal band I know of (featured on the 1981 Heavy metal soundtrack)

and the English version found on the heavy metal sound track

Apocalyptica is a Finn cello playing metal band, their take on the classical music piece Hall of the Mountain King by Grieg. Not many cellos in metal, so I think they are kind of neat.

Edited by Aaronw

This one is out there. Not sure if anyone has heard of them:

But the OP specifically excluded British bands in this thread. British bands is a thread unto itself. Don't even get me started... Beatles... Led Zeppelin... Rolling Stones... Pink Floyd... Hollies... Kinks... and on and on and on...

Oops. Missed that, my apologies. Unfortunately, that shortens the list considerably. Not many bands that aren't one-hit-wonders or novelty acts.

How about:

Sorry - had to edit out the band I picked. I forgot that even though they don't speak English all that well, they cuss a lot.

Edited by Harry Joy

I forgot about Apocalytica. I really like the album with the guest vocals, mostly the Corey Taylor(Slipknot and Stone Sour), Adam Gontier(Three Days Grace and Saint Asonia) and Brent Smith (Shinedown).

Apocalyptica is a Finn cello playing metal band, their take on the classical music piece Hall of the Mountain King by Grieg. Not many cellos in metal, so I think they are kind of neat.