Model Cars Magazine Forum

All the rest part 2?

Agent G

I'll try to finish something, a year is pushing it though it usually takes me 6 months just to get the shrink wrap off. ;)

Well I stated a year for admin purposes. ;)

As far as anyone is concerned it can run indefinitely.  Look at Dr Cranky's "Post Apocalyptic" CBP. It's been going on now forever! :blink:

G

Well, that's one of the more disturbing interpretation of Cthulhu that I've seen. Cool. What is it made of, resin, vinyl, white metal?

Man, that is one UGLY mother. What scale is it? How big?

It stands about 9" tall. It is nominally 25mm scale (a human would be about 1" tall). It is a proprietary plastic that feels a bit like polyethylene but it paints well even with acrylics and can be glued with super glue or epoxy.

I've been a fan of HP Lovecraft since high school so I had to have this when I saw it.

It is from Reaper which offers a huge line of metal and plastic figures for wargaming and such.

https://www.reapermini.com/miniatures

• 2 weeks later...

Between recent world events effecting my job, extreme weather and health issues I have finally managed to get some spare time and have begun.

Here's the base kit. Not one of the most detailed out of the box but as you will soon see, it's good enough.

Some of the additional items required. Tissue paper and thin basswood sheet.

The starting photo.

I'm filling in all the mounting divots for the tools and other equipment carried on the hull. They will not be used. I'll scratch build some of the tie down loops from thin rod or stretched sprue as go along.

I always use some spot putty to enhance the cast texture of certain parts. I mix Bondo spot putty with Tamiya extra thin cement and stipple it on with an old brush. 

G

Nice work, G.  I like the cast texture.  I'd like to try that some day, but I'm not sure it's really appropriate for the genres I work in.

I'm trying to decide on my first contribution to the CB, I might ask you kind folks for your input.  I've got a relatively long list of items in my stash that have been calling out to me, LOL.

I'm haulin' out the ol' Gee Bee later this PM to start sanding the incorrect ribbing off the wings. It's really a very simple model, but I've been dreading the task of making masks to paint the signature scallop patterns on the wings, fuselage and landing gear. Time to move out of the comfort zone a little. :D

GEE_BEE_R-1_and_R-2.gif

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Gee, Danny you know me too well........................:D

Bill, I have always liked that airplane. The thought of placing one of the biggest radial engines available in the smallest possible air frame is mind blowing.

More please.

G

Slow and steady progress.

I spent the morning filling in the areas where Tamiya chose to leave huge gaps for parts locators. Scrap styrene and some Mr. Surfacer to the rescue. 

Hatches on. No need to be neat, you won't see these again.

G

Another work week has passed and I have time for this again.

I added detail not normally seen on the typical "in service" tank model. This one is what I call showroom new.

Turret complete.

Now the fun part, replicating the temporary covering used when shipping a new vehicle overseas. I chose BMF to start. 

G

Moving right along. The construction phase is complete thanks to many, many reference photos. 

DSCF5903_zpspvsu1jrn.jpg

DSCF5907_zps8fepmcot.jpg

DSCF5904_zpsouujazpz.jpg

DSCF5905_zpscl1mjbcm.jpg

DSCF5908_zps3twzz2o5.jpg

DSCF5906_zps6kkwngha.jpg

DSCF5911_zpshoohfve4.jpg

Olive green plastic is the Tamiya kit, gray is Dragon spare parts, white is all scratch with some PE bits and bobs tossed in. Tamiya tape on the turret replicates the tape covering of the US star markings. That prevented re spraying the star in the field. 

On to primer now.

G

Edited by Agent G

I'd be down, I still have a bunch of mechs and starships. Got a couple of cars I'm in the middle of, though...

I shoulda took some pics, but I started on a vintage gluebomb. Well, a paint bomb. Its a vintage Gundam Kit from 1983. I got it at a thrift store a year or so ago. Someone painted most of the parts on the sprue with no apparent rhyme or reason. as far as I can tell, it's only missing a hose and the decals are probably shot. Oh, and there's no instructions, just to make it interesting. 

Edited by Zarana-X

Paint!

I have found no definitive answer as to the color of the material used for sealing the hatches. I went with a grungy earth tone to set it apart from the rest of the finish. A wash with a darker color, then dry brushing got me here.

I added some speed tape to the area of the stenciled serial number. Sources make reference to the fact sometimes these numbers were deliberately obscured for security reasons. 

G