Model Cars Magazine Forum

Foam sanding pads

I'm in need of foam sanding pads. Either a home building supply, or auto part store will hopefully have them. I don't need a full box, however.
Anyone know of either that would sell things by the sheet? Do they still do that? Back in my auto body days (early 80's) there was a guy at SANEL's that would sell like that. I think he is retired now.

Get yourself some stirring sticks. Panera Bread has nice ones. Get a roll of 2 sided tape with foam in the middle. Cut a strip of tape and stick it to the stirring stick. Put whatever grit of sandpaper you want on the tape. Trim the excess if you want. I like to leave a little so I can use the edge of the stick to sand tight places.

Get some craft sticks (about the size of popsicle sticks) from a craft store or Walmart; don't get tongue depressors, as they are thin,  will warp, and mess up your sanding.

Most auto parts stores sell a variety pack of wet/dry sand paper. Get a pack of those and use Miatatom's foam tape method to attach the sandpaper to the wood.

If possible, leave enough area on the wood to mark the grit of the sandpaper. Alternatively, use a color-code scheme with magic markers, such as red = 320, yellow = 400, black = 600 etc. and mark the edge of the wood.

All the model polishing kits have micromesh pads and sticks.  Here is the direct source.  I've been bypassing the "model" polishing kit makers and buying direct for years.  They will sell you 1 or 10,000 or a 50' roll.  Skip the middle man and get what you need.

http://micro-surface.com/index.php/products-by-type/soft-touch-pads.html

Every Walmart in the world will have sanding sticks in their beauty products department,They come in varying grits and are used for finger nail work.I have already made a few custom sized and shaped sanding sticks using the coffee stirring stick as a base.I made those to sand in a specific place where a regular one simply won't reach.

The micro-surface ones looked good until I saw the minimum shipping and handling fee. $12.50. Not good if you are only buying a $9.48 set.

Russ

That is why I stock up when I buy.  I get the sanding sticks 100 at a time and 20 of each grit of pad that I use.  Of course I have learned what I use and so none of it will go to waste.  In fact, the last order that I made, I quite ordering tri-grit sanding sticks and orders 3 different single grit  sticks, because it occurred to me that I was tossing sticks that one or two grits had worn out and I was wasting them.   They do last, but it is sanding medium and they don't last forever.

• 2 weeks later...

Big THANK YOU going out to Mike Kucaba! Sent me three "Fine" 3M foam sanding pads. They will be useful for body work. No go for paint, as they seem to have a coarse texture of what I would call about a 180 grit.
I may glue different grit paper on a section, then cut some 1" squares out.
Thanks for the gift, Mike. Much appreciated.

FACEBOOK THUMB UP- should be small.JPG