Model Cars Magazine Forum

77 AMC Matador Finished (Photos Restored)

David G.

This is not a terrible kit, but it is typical for the time period. The body sat too high on the wheels and some of the details were a bit too generic or simplified for my tastes.  I had to make a number of modifications so that I would be satisfied with the finished project. Some of those mods are detailed in the build thread.

77Matador37_12.jpg.42f0e5e6df8abf67b4572961c6c4beda.jpg

77Matador36_12.jpg.5a64ef42616bca116880920655d348fb.jpg

77Matador39_12.jpg.55f15ad136b822a16dee54ea35a292ee.jpg

That's all for now. Thanks for looking and as always, feel free to comment.

Edited by David G.
Photos Restored

Your splendid build is taking me back to 1976 ! My parents went to the local AMC dealer ( Ricker Motors Nash-Rambler-AMC ) in 1976 to check out new cars . On the showroom was a bronze-ish Matador coupe and a white Pacer ; I fell in love with that wild looking Matador coupe !

I have two of these ol' AMT annuals in my pile ; a '75 and a '76 . I started on the '76 some 11 years ago but gave up when my mum fell ill . The only things I don't like about the AMT kits of that era : no brake master cylinder ; hole-through-the-crankcase , and ; those horrid 2-piece tyres ! Otherwise , a fine kit . Convincing AMC V8 ( 343-360-401 ) in spite of the aforementioned hole-through-block  ; decent Torque-Command 8 (read : 727 Torqueflite) trans ; separate catalytic converter ; and convincing proportions .

Keep up the great work , David !

• David G. changed the title to 77 AMC Matador Finished (Photos Restored)