Model Cars Magazine Forum

Questions for the builders out there

I'm gonna go with most others have said and say go for the Buick! Since you're just getting back into the hobby (Welcome back!), you want as least hassle as possible and those 1/24 old Monograms are just the ticket in easing back into things. The '68 Road Runner while not a completely terrible kit, I would not recommend it for beginners or returnees back into the hobby.

There's much wrong with the model as I have this one on my to-do pile, and in fact, I've made MANY corrections to the body, I've just never posted them here. As Ace has said, there's a lot of fit issues with this one as well, as many years ago I tried to build the '69 GTX convertible and had difficulties with that one in the '90's.

Just the same, I don't think you'll be sorry with the GSX--------it looks good, goes together well, and it's just the thing to get back into the swing of things.

BTW, I'd forget the vinyl roof for the time being.............focus on getting as clean a build as possible, and save that detail for some other time. ;)

Edited by MrObsessive

Second that. The GTX/RR is very easy to do and looks very nice completed.

I'd suggest skipping the vinyl top this go-around. Work on the basics- get an easy to do paint color (not black or any crazy pearls or flip-flops,) a simple color like dark blue with over a blue or white interior, or red over white or black (semi-gloss and flat black are okay- gloss black is easy to screw up,) would be a good practice run. 

I would suggest a few things.

1. Use automotive sandable lacquer primer. It's economical and works under all topcoats.

2. You might want to consider using auto touch-up paint. Again, economical and a wide color choice. Testors enamels have gotten all messed up since you last built. Their lacquers, however, are quite nice (as are Tamiya's.) With that said, hobby brush paints (Testors, Tamiya and Humbrol,) most certainly have their place in your arsenal. 

3. Auto parts stores are your friends for engine paints. Good, wide selection. A lot of other paints (like Krylon or Valspar spray) can help fill in voids for missing colors (ex.: Buick green, Pontiac turquoise blue.) 

Charlie Larkin

Charlie thanks for the tips. I will look to follow what you have written above.

Okay I just ordered the Monogram GSX from Hobbylinc. Now it's just the waiting time for the kit. Will post my progress on the site as I go along. Will probably rely on the experience of all on the forums. Probably will go with a royal blue exterior with a black interior on this first attempt. Was thinking long and hard about either the yellow or white GSX exterior but maybe some other time. Thanks again for all the comments, direction, and encouragement. In the immortal words of Flounder from Animal House "This is gonna be great"!

Can't wait to see your progress Jerry-----------that blue one you posted is a beautiful car! B)

Thank you. That is a beautiful GS. But sadly not an original color that I can locate. The color charts show nothing close. There is a deeper shade of blue listed. I thought about dark green but not sure which shade to go with. Red to me is too much SS454 LS6. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks again for the positive commentary.

Thank you. That is a beautiful GS. But sadly not an original color that I can locate. The color charts show nothing close. There is a deeper shade of blue listed. I thought about dark green but not sure which shade to go with. Red to me is too much SS454 LS6. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks again for the positive commentary.

Not that SS454 LS6 is a bad thing. I'm just more of a Stage 1 fan.

That's a Maaco re-spray. Used to see that coming out of their shop all the time as their standard blue for people who didn't want to pay the extra $50-75 for an approximate factory match. 

Tamiya Brilliant Blue Metallic isn't too far off from that. Tamyia's spray paints are excellent- they cover well over primer (although you can use them on bare plastic-I have with good results,) and dry very quickly (about 30 mintues.) Be warned, though, that they (and Testors lacquers) are synthetic lacquer which use a kissin' cousin to nitrocellulose (I don't have a can handy, but I saw something that appeared to be a derivative of wood alcohol, and nitro-lac isn't too far removed from that,) and they are very, very pungent. If you're married or share the house, DO NOT paint upstairs with that stuff. 

I would recommend spraying outside or in the cellar with your door open and a fan blowing out. It would also be prudent to grab a spray mask. Most Auto Parts stores have good respirators for about $25 that are good for about 40-45 hours of work. Just be sure to store it in its bag and to press as much air out of the bag as possible while closing it. A 10-ream paper box makes a decent "spray booth."

Charlie Larkin

Jerry....Just take your own time on it...it will look great.  Some of my friends and relatives owned Buicks....

66 GS HT

69 GS California special

67 GS 400

All were very nice cars.  Many years ago a friend gave me a tip on building(treat every part as if it were a model itself)...has helped me a lot.

You would be happy using Tamiya TS-19 spray.  I've used it to get a similar color on several cars.  Its my go to paint for something close to that color.  I always use a white primer under this color.  

Tamiya lacquer goes on flat so you'll want to also do a clear coat.    My preference is Testors Wet Look clear lacquer, but there are just as many who like the Tamiya TS clear.

ts19.jpg

Edited by Jeff Johnston

Jerry....Just take your own time on it...it will look great.  Some of my friends and relatives owned Buicks....

66 GS HT

69 GS California special

67 GS 400

All were very nice cars.  Many years ago a friend gave me a tip on building(treat every part as if it were a model itself)...has helped me a lot.

Thanks. Ever since I saw a GS back in the 1970's I was hooked. Yes the other's in the family: Chevelle SS, Olds 442, and Pontiac GTO were awesome in their own rite. However there was something about the GS. Subdued, understated, refined, but hiding something powerful under the hood. I refer to the GS as the "Gentleman's Musclecar".

This will be my inspiration for the GS/GSX

360602_13895181_1970_Buick_Gran+Sport.jpg

Would love to add the proper GS Stage 1 fender badges, the GS by Buick trunk badge, and the GS grille. All I've seen is a photo etched set but am unsure how to attach the metal to styrene and not sure as a novice I should be attempting it? Thoughts, and suggestions are welcome. Thanks

Ohh yeah, most hobby shops have it, or can order it.

Makes vinyl tops a breeze.

Hmm...according to my shop, it's gonzo, but it's not too tough to get, either, because it didn't sell well.

Has anyone ever actually used that vinyl top paint? How do you use it?

I have some Detail Master vinyl top sheet for myself. 

Charlie Larkin

Hmm...according to my shop, it's gonzo, but it's not too tough to get, either, because it didn't sell well.

Has anyone ever actually used that vinyl top paint? How do you use it?

I have some Detail Master vinyl top sheet for myself. 

Charlie Larkin

It's relative to what may or may not already be there. If it's molded as a vinyl top, it adds more texture to it when sprayed.

If it's NOT normally a vinyl top, it adds a rough texture with the paint to simulate vinyl.

I've used it several times now...

Plymouth Duster, smooth hard top...

Duster45.jpg

El Camino that comes in vinyl top....

Camino%2023_zpsarfigl0z.jpg

I'll try to find better pics to post up and demonstrate.

Edited by Drake69

Also note: Modelmaster Fabric Gray and Fabric Tan work the same way.

My "Executioner" GTO Judge with gray fabric interior...

ex02.jpg

ex08.jpg

Thanks. The more I think my more pressing issues will be as follows:

Getting the side marker lights and wheel well trim painted properly without screwing up the actual paint on the body. Wanted to do GS badging but all I've seen is photo etched items and am unsure as a novice I should be attempting photo etch. Thanks again.