Model Cars Magazine Forum

Questions for the builders out there

• 3 weeks later...

the 68 road runner is presently on my bench, and as much as I love these actual cars, owning a mint example back in the day.....it is a difficult build, and a kit that requires a lot of correcting. for quick simple fun, build the GS for now, the runner can be a bit of a pain.....hope this helps,,,,enjoy regardless of your choice, the Ace....:lol:

How about the AMT 1969 GTX. Similar issues as the 68 Road Runner?

How about the AMT 1969 GTX. Similar issues as the 68 Road Runner?

identical, Jerry....don't get me wrong,,, I don't want to rain on someone's parade, however  as nice in some areas as these 2 kits are,,,the quarter panel shape is incorrect, the stance  ends up sitting too low at the rear, the front track is too inboard in my view, and on and on.....the GTX emblems on the lower quarters are too small, the grille is just 'off ' when you compare it to an actual one as well. the 68 RR has very poor tail lights, they need some work or just to be replaced with aftermarket ones now made....I'm almost done with a drag 68 RR at this point, and even though its ok at this point, it will be a long time before I pop out another...oh, one other thing, the hood for both cars falls thru the fender edges too, so the sides need shimming up with some plastic strip as well.....oh, the interior panels have to be filed, then sized up with the dash, which sits up too high on one side, and all need to be squared just right, otherwise when fitting your interior inside using all the glass, it ends up fitting poorly...all can be corrected here with the interior, Jerry, but best I mention this now,,,and the clutch/brake pedals almost drag on the carpet, so they need a total refitted. make certain your engine bay parts align perfectly as well, otherwise your front end pieces will fit poorly....I glued the firewall, and both left and right inner panels together on the chassis to align everything before final assembly too. install your rad support last, after the engine is in,,,,it can be all glued as a unit first, but that makes it all the more difficult dropping your engine in.....best, the Ace...:D

I have to agree with what Ace says-------while AMT's Roadrunner can be built as a nice shelf model, it comes at the cost of not looking quite right to my view. To me, it suffers from the same malady that afflicts their '58 Plymouth. The body from the C pillars rearward is bent down too much compared to the 1:1. I did do a correction to the body (for the most part), but I've never posted it here as it wasn't part of an ongoing WIP that I started. 

It was something I was curious about when I was at a standstill during the build of my '59 Impala which had me stumped on the glass for a bit.

Hmmm...............I'm off after tomorrow for the next four days. I may start a thread on this one, and try to come up with a clever title for it. There's more wrong to me on this one than just the rear quarters------other things on it would need to be fixed as well as far as the body is concerned. And as Ace mentioned, this is not a cut on those that have either built the model or maybe don't really care about the accuracy of the shape. Well, I'm one of those that focuses on certain details of a particular car that distinguishes them for what they are. If it's off to my view, I'll try to fix it if it's one that screams out to me loudly-------witness what I did to Monogram's '59 Chevy Impala hardtop.

No...........I have NO PLANS to have this one cast if anyone was wondering! Just a future possible build after I get a couple other much wanted projects out of the way.

Stay tuned............... ;)

I have to agree with what Ace says-------while AMT's Roadrunner can be built as a nice shelf model, it comes at the cost of not looking quite right to my view. To me, it suffers from the same malady that afflicts their '58 Plymouth. The body from the C pillars rearward is bent down too much compared to the 1:1. I did do a correction to the body (for the most part), but I've never posted it here as it wasn't part of an ongoing WIP that I started. 

It was something I was curious about when I was at a standstill during the build of my '59 Impala which had me stumped on the glass for a bit.

Hmmm...............I'm off after tomorrow for the next four days. I may start a thread on this one, and try to come up with a clever title for it. There's more wrong to me on this one than just the rear quarters------other things on it would need to be fixed as well as far as the body is concerned. And as Ace mentioned, this is not a cut on those that have either built the model or maybe don't really care about the accuracy of the shape. Well, I'm one of those that focuses on certain details of a particular car that distinguishes them for what they are. If it's off to my view, I'll try to fix it if it's one that screams out to me loudly-------witness what I did to Monogram's '59 Chevy Impala hardtop.

No...........I have NO PLANS to have this one cast if anyone was wondering! Just a future possible build after I get a couple other much wanted projects out of the way.

Stay tuned............... ;)

......you said it all, Bill....no cut on any one of these builds, as mentioned I'm deep into one myself presently. owning a truly mint 68 Roadrunner  from 1975 to 1986, that I hardly drove, they are in my top 5 favorites of all time. its just a kit that has never really looked correct, from any angle including stance, front track, and as we mentioned, other problems too. still, its the only game in town if you love 68 Roadrunners, and if you want  a 69 GTX  by JOHAN, now your hunting and paying,,,and I mean paying......I bought a sealed one a couple months back, and I'm still just eating KD....lol......best,,,the Ace.....:lol: