Model Cars Magazine Forum

Questions for the builders out there

Hi. I am going to start building model cars again and I am looking at two different cars for my 1st project in over 30 years. The Monogram 1970 Buick GSX and the AMT 1968 Plymouth Roadrunner. Quite simply back in the days of my teens and early 20's it was more or less the subject choice rather than the brand for me and the 2 cars I have outlined are probably my 2 favorite muscle cars of all time. So my questions are:

• Is either easier to assemble?
  • What issues are there on assembly? Example uncooperative decals, difficulty with fit, etc.
  • Which brand generally is the better?

Sorry for the basic questions but since not having done this since the mid 1980's I've probably forgotten more than I remember. Thanks.

JerseeJerry55

Several ways to do it. There are aftermarket vinyl roof kits available. Some people use masking tape to create the vinyl roof texture.

I do it another way. Mask off the body, then spray the roof with flat black (or whatever color you want the roof to be)... but from a distance. That way the paint sort of dries before hitting the surface and you wind up with a pebbly surface that looks like an in-scale vinyl roof. It's one instance where you want "orange peel!"

Another option is to use "texture paint" available in crafts stores... it's meant to leave a bumpy surface and look like stone.

Hi. I am going to start building model cars again and I am looking at two different cars for my 1st project in over 30 years. The Monogram 1970 Buick GSX and the AMT 1968 Plymouth Roadrunner. Quite simply back in the days of my teens and early 20's it was more or less the subject choice rather than the brand for me and the 2 cars I have outlined are probably my 2 favorite muscle cars of all time. So my questions are:

• Is either easier to assemble?
  • What issues are there on assembly? Example uncooperative decals, difficulty with fit, etc.
  • Which brand generally is the better?

Sorry for the basic questions but since not having done this since the mid 1980's I've probably forgotten more than I remember. Thanks.

JerseeJerry55

the 68 road runner is presently on my bench, and as much as I love these actual cars, owning a mint example back in the day.....it is a difficult build, and a kit that requires a lot of correcting. for quick simple fun, build the GS for now, the runner can be a bit of a pain.....hope this helps,,,,enjoy regardless of your choice, the Ace....:lol:

Harry,

Thanks. So I fully grasp what you're saying. I would paint the body of the car first. Then mask and paint the "vinyl roof"? Also how far of a distance 12 to 15 inches? Thanks again.

JerseeJerry55

Edited by JerseeJerry55
I can't spell

Harry,

Thanks. So I fully grasp what you're saying. I would paint the body of the car first. Then mask and paint the "vinyl roof"? Also how far of a distance 12 to 15 inches? Thanks again.

JerseeJerry55

Yes, paint the body, then mask it off and do the roof. Yeah, a distance of 12-15 inches or so would do the trick. Experiment on a piece of scrap styrene.

the 68 road runner is presently on my bench, and as much as I love these actual cars, owning a mint example back in the day.....it is a difficult build, and a kit that requires a lot of correcting. for quick simple fun, build the GS for now, the runner can be a bit of a pain.....hope this helps,,,,enjoy regardless of your choice, the Ace....:lol:

Ace thanks. Based on what you've posted I will choose the GSX. As I get better I may try my hand at the Road Runner. I will say I am in complete awe of what is being done by the forum members. Unfortunately my finished product may pale in comparison when done but what the heck I'm gonna give it my best shot. Thanks

JerseeJerry55

You can do it. It's just a matter of measuring/marking the location of the strips, then gluing them down using liquid cement. It's not anything you couldn't do. But if you're uncomfortable doing that, just spraying the top from a distance, even without the "seams," will still look good.

Nothing wrong with taking it easy after such a long interruption; many of us who build regularly still do easy builds to break stride once in a while. Also, there's no pressing need to seek perfection until you're ready. Correcting errors or accurizing kits is a skill you can re-acquire steadily.

Welcome back to the hobby , Jerry !

I'll also toss my hat into the ring for the 1970 Buick GS-X . It's been around ( kit-wise ) for twenty-ish years , but the tooling is still in very good shape (i.e. , not a lot of massaging would be required --if at all-- to make the building process go smoothly) .

Above all : enjoy !

Edited by 1972coronet

I've built them both. The GSX is a painless, troublefree build, but if you're doing it factory stock and accurate, the paint job is tricky. It's the reason I haven't completely finished mine.

That RR is a more complicated build, but it's not really difficult, and the paint job would be easier.

You could split the difference and do the Revellogram '70 Road Runner. I did this one when it was a GTX and I can't think of an easier, more pain-free model car build EVER. (The '70 Superbird is the same.)

I would go with the Buick as it is a simpler build, yet really looks good. If you want a Roadrunner as well, you might see if you can find Monogram's 70(?) Roadrunner. I seem to remember it being on a par with the Buick in build quality.

Ace thanks. Based on what you've posted I will choose the GSX. As I get better I may try my hand at the Road Runner. I will say I am in complete awe of what is being done by the forum members. Unfortunately my finished product may pale in comparison when done but what the heck I'm gonna give it my best shot. Thanks

JerseeJerry55

you should never  worry about that, just  build and enjoy the hobby to suit yourself. sometimes less is more, and the easy, less detailed projects can be  very gratifying and fun too. try not to compare your skills to anyone, and just have a great time... that's what its all about....best, the Ace..;)

The GSX is one of the last 1/24 scale kits Monogram produced before they switched to 1/25 scale for new kit development.  It has improved detail compared to most of the older Monogram 1/24 kits, but as others have said, it goes together pretty much drama free.  Only issue I recall from my youth was struggling with the decals (my experience back in the '90s was that Monogram decals plain sucked compared to the other manufacturers.  Shouldn't be a problem if you have a new version.)

I've built them both. The GSX is a painless, troublefree build, but if you're doing it factory stock and accurate, the paint job is tricky. It's the reason I haven't completely finished mine.

That RR is a more complicated build, but it's not really difficult, and the paint job would be easier.

You could split the difference and do the Revellogram '70 Road Runner. I did this one when it was a GTX and I can't think of an easier, more pain-free model car build EVER. (The '70 Superbird is the same.)

Real good advice Snake. Both are very good kits. 

I did the Paint method of Vinyl roof on a 70 Eldorado.

seams were done with ,01x.02 evergreen strip

just get them Straight. as long as they are close to where they are on the actual car

That was Easy on the Edlo, as it only has 1 down the center

Use a Color of Flat paint Close to what the final roof color will be

My Eldo has a White roof, so used flat white paint.

And Here CHEAP Store brand enamel is best!!

No need to pay high dollar for a Name brand!!!

The Texture paint may also work, but Try to find one close to roof color

and see if you can get a Clearanced one!!

My Wally's has 3 different colors now clearanced!

Might grab one of each

Second that. The GTX/RR is very easy to do and looks very nice completed.

I'd suggest skipping the vinyl top this go-around. Work on the basics- get an easy to do paint color (not black or any crazy pearls or flip-flops,) a simple color like dark blue with over a blue or white interior, or red over white or black (semi-gloss and flat black are okay- gloss black is easy to screw up,) would be a good practice run. 

I would suggest a few things.

1. Use automotive sandable lacquer primer. It's economical and works under all topcoats.

2. You might want to consider using auto touch-up paint. Again, economical and a wide color choice. Testors enamels have gotten all messed up since you last built. Their lacquers, however, are quite nice (as are Tamiya's.) With that said, hobby brush paints (Testors, Tamiya and Humbrol,) most certainly have their place in your arsenal. 

3. Auto parts stores are your friends for engine paints. Good, wide selection. A lot of other paints (like Krylon or Valspar spray) can help fill in voids for missing colors (ex.: Buick green, Pontiac turquoise blue.) 

Charlie Larkin