Model Cars Magazine Forum

Question about commissioning models.

Where would one be able to commission a model from someone? I have the kit but I would like to have it modified to match my 1:1 (the red one.)

pathys.thumb.jpg.0dd37df1d5c0bc023c85dd8

What would I need to do in order to have it done? I found out today that 2 of the 6 cylinders are dead and I am really not sure what I would like to do with it. If I do end up selling it I would like to have something in memory of it because it was a great car while it lasted.

Thanks for the help guys,

Michael

Welcome to the forum. I'm guessing you have the Japanese version of the Nissan, which is usable, but which presents problems modding it the way you'd like it. Looks like this kind of conversion was done years back by the modeler in this other forum thread http://offroadmodels.proboards.com/thread/957/1989-nissan-pathfinder-se-door

The next thing is the cost of commissioning someone to do this kind of work. If you want it done well, you have to factor in what a guy would charge for that kind of craftmanship. $20 per hour at a bare minimum, and probably not anything less than 10 hours of work (likely much more) and this already tallys up to $200. Start leaning toward accurate replica detailing, and the project ends up getting into 50+ hours.

All a matter of what you wish to pay for vs what you might want to accomplish yourself. This hobby might look a bit intimidating to total newcomers, but scout around in it and practice a bit on models just for the heck of it, and that may convince you to have a go at the project yourself in the not too distant future.

I always built them for free for my friends. They only would have to supply the paint, and the kit, of course. I'm building a Monogram 1957 Bel Air in 1/12 scale for my cousin Marcelo right now. 

I wouldnt do it with a car I don't care about, as doing the research is a long work if you want the replica to be accurate, and in general, I don't care about any car made after 1970. 

The only time a total strange asked me to build a car, was on YouTube. The guy asked if I would like to build a replica of his '56 Fairlane with a 390FE, a C-6 and some more parts odd to the car. I wouldn't build a mostrosity like that, no way.

Yep, I'm a major pain.

I used to build for other people many years ago but got out of it because it was taking the fun out of my hobby :(  A standard 'out-of-box' build was $100 plus materials 20 years ago. I have met a few people who do it now and they charge $500 plus materials as a starting point. To make an accurate replica can easily take 20 hours. If the model requires body modifications, the time factor can soar to 40/50 hours. You could end up with a model that is more expensive than the real car :) 

My advice is to look on ebay for any listing called pro-built. Some of the guys that do this are hacks but there are a few that do good work. When you see a builder that might serve your needs contact them via ebay. And see if someone will take on the job. The listings might also give you an idea of what you might pay. 

But bear in mind even an out-of-the-box-with-no-mods takes at the least 25 hours to build. Even if you could find a builder to work at minimum wage you are still over $200 bucks for a simple model. One with custom work will be a lot more. Good luck.

The idea of building your own model would be the most economical if you have any experience at all building models, plus you have the reference subject in the driveway when needed. Plan B would be to approach some local modeling club to see if of the members would want to help you. On your 1:1 truck if you can't afford to rebuild the engine then maybe a good used engine might be an answer for that problem. If it is otherwise as good as it is good looking as the body in the picture and you seem to have enjoyed it I think it might be worth saving.   

Where would one be able to commission a model from someone? I have the kit but I would like to have it modified to match my 1:1 (the red one.)

pathys.thumb.jpg.0dd37df1d5c0bc023c85dd8

What would I need to do in order to have it done? I found out today that 2 of the 6 cylinders are dead and I am really not sure what I would like to do with it. If I do end up selling it I would like to have something in memory of it because it was a great car while it lasted.

Thanks for the help guys,

Michael

While displaying some model at a local contest a few years ago. A man walked up to ask me how much I would charge to make a replica of his car ( Plymouth Superbird )  Not a hard kit to find obviously. But when I told him $100 plus the kit and materials ,,,and to expect to pay well north of $250 - 300 or more depending on how detailed he wanted it. He said no thanks .

Yet, I have a few builds I've turned down over $500 for.  And oddly enough  3 or 4 of the cars I've built in the past 18 months  ,,,,, were for family and friends and I refused to take any kind of payment for. ( they own the actual 1/1 I was trying to copy )

Edited by gtx6970

If I remember correctly there was a resin curbside model of the three door of your car. I don't remember who made them tho, but guess the company is not longer in business. 

I don't know if you have experience or not building a model kit, but maybe you should give it a try, and try to build it yourself. There are a lot of parts in the box, and could be scary, but is not. :) If you don't have experience, here on this forum you can ask all the question about building your model. If you build it yourself I think it would be cool, to build an homage to your 1/1.

I did different model for commission, and sometime people don't realize how much time could take to build a model. I had few accident when the person agree to pay me some money, but when I gave the model to him he pointed out the the paint was different. And was the same paint used on the real car... :D:D:D  Another one pointed out the antenna that was too long... :D What people do for don't pay...

I started to build the R3M Terrano kit I have in the style of the white pathfinder in that picture. The only part on the bottom that isn't black is the exhaust to be honest, my main thing is the body. I just don't want to run the risk of ruining the body because I've never attempted to cut and add parts to one. Most of my models that I've completed are box stock and are good to me but there are definitely issues with them.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10075838 That is the kit I have.

Edited by ownnddd
added link