Model Cars Magazine Forum

1958 Edsel Pacer

thecrossguy

So here is my next build. Was gonna start a plymouth satellite but still waiting on paint. Come on scalefinishes!! holdin me back. Anyways, What I found interesting inside the instructions was this little pamphlet from 1998. Nearly 20 years ago we could get 6 issues of the blueprinter for $10 dollars!! :blink: 

IMG_20160506_190830.jpg

IMG_20160506_190841.jpg

IMG_20160506_190905.jpg

Probably Red and white since I have it...well I have Red, need to get white. Not sure on the interior. Maybe matching. I don't know.

That would be a nice choice, T. Since the Pacer was part of the lower EF series they tended to have more subdued paint schemes than the higher EM series Corsairs and Citations.

The correct interior would be red and white with red and white. You could probably have ordered black and white without too much trouble, too. 

Actually, I think the black and white interior would be rather striking with the red- and white paint. 

For a little extra pop, try a white body with red coves and roof. Accent will work nicely.

Charlie Larkin

Haven't seen one of those built in a while. What color scheme did you have in mind?

Well, any color scheme BUT red and black. If painted in those colors, everyone will assume it's a prepaint. 

Have two of those prepainted Edsels. The paint was not bad, but they didn't shave the mold separation lines. 

When I built mine regular kit Edsel, I used Horizon Blue and Frost White. A color combo that was great looking, but I never saw it on a model before. 

Test Shots by Túlio Lazzaroni, on Flickr

oooh wow that is a great color combination! I may have to do that instead. Has anyone ordered from scalefinishes.com recently? Sent an email but Have not heard back. Might have to order with mcw for my factory colors. Thanks for sharing LoveFordGalaxy :)

Well, any color scheme BUT red and black. If painted in those colors, everyone will assume it's a prepaint. 

Have two of those prepainted Edsels. The paint was not bad, but they didn't shave the mold separation lines. 

When I built mine regular kit Edsel, I used Horizon Blue and Frost White. A color combo that was great looking, but I never saw it on a model before. 

8466509360_12f12c2221_c.jpgTest Shots by Túlio Lazzaroni, on Flickr

As usual, another absolutely gorgeous model from you, Tulio, haven't seen that one before since I'm still rather "newish" here. Thinking about doing mine  with Coral body with Black top, and either a Black or White cove. Any thoughts? Anyways, good luck with yours, T, hope to see some pics of your progress!

oooh wow that is a great color combination! I may have to do that instead. Has anyone ordered from scalefinishes.com recently? Sent an email but Have not heard back. Might have to order with mcw for my factory colors. Thanks for sharing LoveFordGalaxy :)

If you're planning on ordering paint anyway, you might want to make it really unique & go with one of the more "far out" color combos that Edsel offered in '58.

They really pushed the envelope a little with some of the combinations.

Some of the strangest were "Jonquil Yellow" with either "Sunset Coral" or "Charcoal Brown".

Or the Brown & coral.

The yellow & brown combo is a classic IMO, but to be really different, you need to go with the coral. ;)

Couldn't find a photo of an Edsel in either combo, but they were available on the Ford in '57 also.

Here's one of each just to give you the idea.

Steve

7591009_3_l.jpg622x350.jpg

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

If you're planning on ordering paint anyway, you might want to make it really unique & go with one of the more "far out" color combos that Edsel offered in '58.

They really pushed the envelope a little with some of the combinations.

Some of the strangest were "Jonquil Yellow" with either "Sunset Coral" or "Charcoal Brown".

Or the Brown & coral.

The yellow & brown combo is a classic IMO, but to be really different, you need to go with the coral. ;)

Couldn't find a photo of an Edsel in either combo, but they were available on the Ford in '57 also.

Here's one of each just to give you the idea.

Steve

7591009_3_l.jpg

Hummm, Silver Mocha and Inca Gold... Love it!!

The most cool about Edsels: You could have a three color car. 

True.

I'm not sure who built this one, but I found it online somewhere.

Shows a really strange yellow, coral & white combo.

But it was a factory color option.

Dare to be different! :)

Steve

IMG_3315.jpg

That is a great looking car. They certainly don't make em like they use to!

Talked to my local hobby shop. Gonna pick up the paint tomorrow and get started. Sent an email off to scalefinishes and still no reply. So I'm gonna have to cancel the order and put the Satellite on hold. Very upsetting. :angry:

Be different ya say there steve? well a 32 Ford Five window coupe I did comes to mind. It is Aluma Yellow Pearl over aluminum. Came out a yellow-ish Green.

IMG_3372.JPG

One thing about Scale Finishes....

Jameston does have a regular job as well, and he ends up with a lot of overtime if it gets busy, and it's mandatory. He will get back to you.

I can tell you- as I have a bottle of Horizon Blue for one of my Edsels, that there's nothing close in the hobby shop paint aisle. Order it from ScaleFinishes or MCW.

Colonial White is the proper white for the Ford-based cars, and it's very much a cream-white. Again, nothing good in the hobby shop. Hobby shop colors will make this go from great to generic. 

Testors yellow will get you pretty close to the engine color. You might want to darken it a little with a toothpick covered in black; that will bleed off enough to darken it up a smidge. 

Charlie Larkin

Be different ya say there steve? well a 32 Ford Five window coupe I did comes to mind. It is Aluma Yellow Pearl over aluminum. Came out a yellow-ish Green.

IMG_3372.JPG

You don't say? I used a maybe 15 year old can of Aluma Yellow pearl on this Ford, and it turned out to be the same color. I call it "Nuclear Waste". I used the same can years earlier on a 1:1 dipstick handle, and it came out the correct color. That paint either doesn't age well, or ages very well; depending on how you look at it.