Model Cars Magazine Forum

1958 Edsel Pacer

thecrossguy

The Citation had an E475 engine. I believe that was the torque  value.

Correct. Edsel, like Buick, used torque ratings for the numeric parts of their engine designations.

The E-475 was a different color, too. I think it was green. 

Charlie Larkin

I'm surprised AMT and ERTl did low end Edsels (Ranger and Pacer) instead of Corsair and Citation. The Buick was a Roadmaster for example

I suspect that because the Ranger and Pacer models rode on the Ford platform, and the Corsair and Citation on the Mercury platform. AMT/ERTL already had the majority of the tooling for the lower end models from the '57/58 Ford, as far as I know, they never made a '57/58 Mercury, so it was much easier, and cheaper to make the Pacer.

Correct. Edsel, like Buick, used torque ratings for the numeric parts of their engine designations.

The E-475 was a different color, too. I think it was green. 

Charlie Larkin

Well, that would explain why I found several photos of green engines in my Edsel engine photo search.

• 1 month later...

Well its been a little while since I've last posted or even worked on the Edsel. But I am back at it. Got the engine painted Goldenrod yellow. And most of the interior is done. I have a few more parts to paint and let dry then I can start gluing parts together and get this one done. IMG_20160626_175619_zpsfj1gz7k9.jpgIMG_20160626_175755_zpsmhnj20g1.jpg

Well, any color scheme BUT red and black. If painted in those colors, everyone will assume it's a prepaint. 

Have two of those prepainted Edsels. The paint was not bad, but they didn't shave the mold separation lines. 

When I built mine regular kit Edsel, I used Horizon Blue and Frost White. A color combo that was great looking, but I never saw it on a model before. 

8466509360_12f12c2221_c.jpgTest Shots by Túlio Lazzaroni, on Flickr

nice build!!!!

You don't say? I used a maybe 15 year old can of Aluma Yellow pearl on this Ford, and it turned out to be the same color. I call it "Nuclear Waste". I used the same can years earlier on a 1:1 dipstick handle, and it came out the correct color. That paint either doesn't age well, or ages very well; depending on how you look at it.

1962Squirewagonsun004.jpg

It's not the age of the paint, it's what's under it. If you put transparent yellow, which that paint it, over grey or black it will look green.  years ago I had a shirt that had thin black /yellow pinstrips, it looked greenish from across the room.