Model Cars Magazine Forum

Talk about horrible looking customizations....

Although judging from the opinions of many people I talk to, the '70 Chevelle is the general favorite year for the car...

Not for me. '70s Chevelles all look bulky and puffed up to me. The best looking Chevelles were the previous generation...

That poor '72 Chevelle! What did it ever do to anyone to deserve THAT fate?

It looks like a bad Chinese toy/diecast. That roof is just horrendous.

Other than the roof, I could tolerate the rest of it.

I think part of the problem is that he over chopped the roof. It really messes up the proprtions. However he is pleased with the car and it is his car. 

It's not "over chopped" so much as having been chopped by someone with no sense of proportion and line.

chopped-show-03c.jpg

The yellow thing was one of the ones I tried hard NOT to emulate when I built this back in 2012. This is a 4" scale chop.

DSCN5575.jpg

Yea but when's the last time you seen a '57 Chevy 4dr hardtop?  It's got to be one of the rarer body styles of '57.

Funny that you mentioned that. Back in 67 we chopped up a 57 4dr hardtop with axes and hack saws for the scrap money. It was a a perfect car with all the trim (I think some was in a gold finish. I think it was red with a white top. No engine, tranny or title (I bought it for a penny from a guy at high school) so scrap it became. I still get a tear in my eye when I think about it.

Edited by Jon Haigwood

Posting a negative comment about an ugly turd of a car, especially one that's had a lot of time and money poured into making it ugly, seems to ruffle some feathers around here.

It's interesting. Apparently that "everyone's a winner" mindset being shoved down kids' throats is sneaking into and coloring the way people react to carp.

Yes, whether you LIKE something or not is entirely subjective,  but there are principles of good design that are entirely objective.

There are a lot of designs I don't particularly LIKE, but that still work well from a design standpoint (shape and line, proportion, etc.)

Calling a turd a turd, especially when the turd-caller has some established design cred, can only make for a better world filled with fewer ugly turd-things.

Both that '57 Chev and the Yellow Chevelle are turds, design-wise. Shape, line, proportions...nothing about the modifications even remotely begins to work.

Another 2 to the list of... just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

That poor Chevelle and 57?

The Chevelle just looks goofy and the other is kind of a mix of a Chevy bodyshop, Vette tail lights, Avalanche customized headlights, a 57 Chevy and who knows what else.

To each his own, I guess. As long as the owner likes that's what matters. Just hope they don't try to sell them.