Model Cars Magazine Forum

Talk about horrible looking customizations....

To my eye, most (not all) cars look bad with a top chop... the more the chop, the worse the look. It completely ruins the proportions of the car. It generally works ok on some older cars, but a chopped '72 Chevelle  like that yellow monstrosity is just silly looking, IMO.

The only car I really like chopped in real life is ZZ Tops 34 Coupe.

Rosie_O_Donnell_0008.jpg

OOF!!

That would take a whole bunch of beer!!

Steve

I don't know if you can live after that much beer...  

Most of the well-known customs of the '50s and '60s were just plain ugly.

Somehow, we lost our ability to ascertain good design, and a lot of those cars and their builders became automotive icons for some reason. But why?

Ed Roth comes to mind. Yeah, he was a character... "larger than life," as they say... but many (most?) of his creations were just ugly! The Mysterion... Road Agent... Outlaw... I mean, come on! They were hideous! They were cartoons, not styling successes. Come on... does anyone out there actually think this is an example of a successful design? Really?

It's a train wreck!

Mysterion_Ed_Roth_CarGallery_zpsafbha7fx

And not to pick on Roth... there were many other well-known customs of the era that were equally bad. Yet somehow these automotive monstrosities became legendary, along with their creators. I'll never understand why.

Most of the well-known customs of the '50s and '60s were just plain ugly.

Somehow, we lost our ability to ascertain good design, and a lot of those cars and their builders became automotive icons for some reason. But why?

Ed Roth comes to mind. Yeah, he was a character... "larger than life," as they say... but many (most?) of his creations were just ugly! The Mysterion... Road Agent... Outlaw... I mean, come on! They were hideous! They were cartoons, not styling successes. Come on... does anyone out there actually think this is an example of a successful design? Really?

It's a train wreck!

Mysterion_Ed_Roth_CarGallery_zpsafbha7fx

And not to pick on Roth... there were many other well-known customs of the era that were equally bad. Yet somehow these automotive monstrosities became legendary, along with their creators. I'll never understand why.

Harry, I think you are measuring "show cars" with the wrong yard stick. IMHO, they were not meant to be styling masterpieces.

I think they and their creators (in many cases) succeeded in their goal of creating "automotive art".... something not practical, something so outlandish that you HAVE to look at it.   ;)

Some of the most successful/popular show car creators (whether they created per commission or not) tend to design or utilize automotive elements in ways not done before or include them in a way that sparks interest (in at least a few people).

something not practical, something so outlandish that you HAVE to look at it.   ;)

Some of the most successful/popular show car creators (whether they created per commission or not) tend to design or utilize automotive elements in ways not done before or include them in a way that sparks interest (in at least a few people).

Kind of like a crucifix in a jar of urine! :blink:

"Modern art" befuddles me.

Steve

I just spent some time trying to re-locate a classifieds ad I saw last week for a '28 or so Chevrolet hot rod, but couldn't find it again...picture this: '28 Chevy in hot pink with a molded-on later model pickup bed. It's a 3-wheeler, so the nose tapers to the stock radiator, with no front axle or wheels visible. The molded-in tailgate area has a pinstriped religious message.

Just...wow.

Let me guess: "Forgive me, Father, for I have sinned"? :blink: