Model Cars Magazine Forum

Automotive (and other) toys from our childhood

Wow! Does that look like one boring game. ? I remember seeing those sticks as a kid. But, I never remember playing that game with them. Give me a chemistry set! I can cause more excitement with that. ?

Growing up with (8) kids in a three bedroom house we didn't want for excitement.  It was nice to slow things down every once in awhile.

Growing up with (8) kids in a three bedroom house we didn't want for excitement.  It was nice to slow things down every once in awhile.

Growing up with only 3 kids in 3 bedroom house, my mother also didn't want much excitement. And we played a lot of calm board games around the house. But, that one looks a little too calm. Even boring. At least for me.

Somebody in my family or neighborhood had those sticks--I think they were plastic. I don't think I ever knew how you were "supposed to" play with them. Usually we'd just end up poking each other with them. I'll bet these are now prohibited by law--or would at least get you kicked out of school as "weapons."

Somebody in my family or neighborhood had those sticks--I think they were plastic. I don't think I ever knew how you were "supposed to" play with them. Usually we'd just end up poking each other with them. I'll bet these are now prohibited by law--or would at least get you kicked out of school as "weapons."

It's an easy game to play. Pick up a stick without moving the surrounding sticks. If you do, you lose a turn. The sticks can be assigned point values according to color. The player with the most points at the end of the game wins. Or, whoever has the most sticks.

How to play Pick Up Sticks

They're still available from $1.99 to $4.99, depending on where you buy them. They're usually made from wood or bamboo, which makes them perfect shishkebab skewers in a pinch. :) 

Edited by SfanGoch

I'll bet these are now prohibited by law--or would at least get you kicked out of school as "weapons."

Up until the time I moved out of my old house (about 18 months ago), I had a pristine original set of Jarts, and as far as I know, they are banned from sale in the US. The set was unfortunately lost in the move.

Up until the time I moved out of my old house (about 18 months ago), I had a pristine original set of Jarts, and as far as I know, they are banned from sale in the US. The set was unfortunately lost in the move.

David Snow was responsible for getting them banned.

The F-16 Fighting Falcon was nicknamed the "lawn dart" due to its tendency to plunge back to Earth when its single engine flamed out.

David Snow was responsible for getting them banned.

The F-16 Fighting Falcon was nicknamed the "lawn dart" due to its tendency to plunge back to Earth when its single engine flamed out.

I have a "Jarts, banned in the USA" T-shirt around here somewhere. Whenever my parents had a big get together with friends and neighbors, Jarts is the one game everybody wanted to play.

I loved playing with lawn darts. I'm still unhappy that a few stupid people, doing stupid things, got these things banned. As stupid as I was, or in some cases still am, I knew better than to throw lawn dart in the direction or in a way that a person could get hurt or killed. I also was smart enough to stay away from areas where lawn darts might be coming down. It was called common sense.

By the way. Why haven't tossing horseshoes been banned. Basically the same idea. I wouldn't want get hit by horseshoe any more than a lawn dart. You can maybe kill somebody a little easier with a lawn dart. But, I'm sure a horseshoe (or a horse) can do some damage if it hits you. Again using common sense, I do not throw horseshoes at people. And I do not where a horseshoe might hit me. (On or off of a horse.) Seems like a simple concept. And you know what? Following those rules, I have never had an accident with either a lawn dart or a horseshoe.

I just read the Snow article above. Sad what happened to his daughter. But, I feel there are lots of dangerous things in the world. Both man made and natural. One has to weigh the risks. I don't know how defend my thoughts on this without sounding callus. But again, several things have been banned in the name of safety, that in general use were not bad things. And I think lawn darts are one of those things.

If lawn darts are banned, why are "regular" darts allowed? Seems like they arbitrarily picked on lawn darts, while many other dangerous things are still allowed.

I've seen people in bars getting darts stuck in different body parts, thrown by someone with really bad aim, drunk or both. Get rid of the bum with the bad aim, not the dartboard. 

If lawn darts are banned, why are "regular" darts allowed? Seems like they arbitrarily picked on lawn darts, while many other dangerous things are still allowed.

Seems like it's just a matter of advocacy. Whoever screams the loudest about something dangerous for the little tykes, gets heard. Perhaps careless and irresponsible parents should be banned.

It's an easy game to play. Pick up a stick without moving the surrounding sticks. If you do, you lose a turn. The sticks can be assigned point values according to color. The player with the most points at the end of the game wins. Or, whoever has the most sticks.

How to play Pick Up Sticks

They're still available from $1.99 to $4.99, depending on where you buy them. They're usually made from wood or bamboo, which makes them perfect shishkebab skewers in a pinch. :) 

It doesn't seem like it, but it's a very tense, and intense game. Kind of like a spy movie where you have to cut the red or green cord on the bomb, and they can't touch each other.

It doesn't seem like it, but it's a very tense, and intense game. Kind of like a spy movie where you have to cut the red or green cord on the bomb, and they can't touch each other.

Good analogy. It does require patience, something most kids today lack. They have shorter attention spans than goldfish..

The VERY first thing I did when I got lawn darts (early 70's) was throw it as high in the air as I could and then went to stand under it to see how close I could get to it. I never got hit with one. I guess there were many other kids out there that were not as lucky as I was.

I don't believe regular darts were directly marketed toward small children. Lawn darts were marketed as a toy.

The VERY first thing I did when I got lawn darts (early 70's) was throw it as high in the air as I could and then went to stand under it to see how close I could get to it. I never got hit with one. I guess there were many other kids out there that were not as lucky as I was.

It's his fault!    :blink: