Model Cars Magazine Forum

Automotive (and other) toys from our childhood

On 5/29/2020 at 11:48 AM, SfanGoch said:

Erector Set was originally patented by Alfred Carlton Gilbert and first sold by his company, Mysto Manufacturing Company, in 1913. In 1916, the company was reorganized as the A.C. Gilbert Company in 1916. The brand continued its independent existence under various corporate ownerships until 2000, when Meccano bought the Erector brand and consolidated its worldwide marketing with its own brand.

AC Gilbert also owned American Flyer trains.  I still have mine from the 50's in the original box.  I remember coming down Christmas morning and my dad had worked most of the night setting it up on a sheet of plywood and it was running.  I spent many an hour playing with it.  It had three main accessories.  A road sign sign that was a train whistle, a mail car that picked up and dropped of a mail bag on the fly, and a train depot that had a little record player in it that played train stations sounds. I suppose it is worth something today, but it is a part of my past and I wouldn't sell it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Makes sense, but why are there many mounds of gravel behind it, and yet the wagon still remains unmoved?

Personally, if I was working there, I'd have gone and picked it up just to see what it was or what condition it was in.

It doesn't look like it's been disturbed in decades.

Edited by Oldcarfan27

On 7/27/2020 at 8:27 AM, espo said:

That is almost cooler than finding an old car or truck out there. 

I know right?  But I'm always hoping for a car, there is (or was) a Ford Galaxy in the area.

On 7/28/2020 at 6:37 AM, Oldcarfan27 said:

I have to wonder how and why did it get there? Very strange.

Saw a couple of spots with old trash, like it was a camp site.

On 7/28/2020 at 3:40 PM, ChrisBcritter said:

Washed down in a flood maybe? A friend of mine's dad's beater '77 Coupe deVille ended up like that, sticking partway out of the mud after a flood went through their ranch near Ojai, CA.

May have been left near that spot, mud washed around it.

On 8/5/2020 at 10:19 PM, Oldcarfan27 said:

Makes sense, but why are there many mounds of gravel behind it, and yet the wagon still remains unmoved?

Personally, if I was working there, I'd have gone and picked it up just to see what it was or what condition it was in.

It doesn't look like it's been disturbed in decades.

For clarification, that's all clay, commonly called "badlands" terrain, some rock layers interspersed is what makes this area fascinating.

This is the Bisti Wilderness, south of Farmington, N.M.  The wagon was about 3 miles from the car, it was about 95°F, and didn't have leather gloves.  This is a hoodoo that looks like a jet to me.  Anyway, back to toys......

DSC_1456.JPG

9 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

I know right?  But I'm always hoping for a car, there is (or was) a Ford Galaxy in the area.

Saw a couple of spots with old trash, like it was a camp site.

May have been left near that spot, mud washed around it.

For clarification, that's all clay, commonly called "badlands" terrain, some rock layers interspersed is what makes this area fascinating.

This is the Bisti Wilderness, south of Farmington, N.M.  The wagon was about 3 miles from the car, it was about 95°F, and didn't have leather gloves.  This is a hoodoo that looks like a jet to me.  Anyway, back to toys......

DSC_1456.JPG

You just can't beat Mother Nature when it comes to the bazar.