Model Cars Magazine Forum

Automotive (and other) toys from our childhood

I'm getting memories back that haven't been active in my brain for 50 years! That's why I like this thread. B)

Yeah, this thread does fire off some brain cells that haven't been used in a while. Reminded me I had one of these:

288: Remco Bulldog Tank : Lot 288

It was pretty cool, drove forward and reverse, fired bullets and ejected the casings. And it was big! Probably almost 18 inches overall.

Edited by Kit Basher

Yeah, this thread does fire off some brain cells that haven't been used in a while. Reminded me I had one of these:

288: Remco Bulldog Tank : Lot 288

It was pretty cool, drove forward and reverse, fired bullets and ejected the casings. And it was big! Probably almost 18 inches overall.

I remember those! Always wanted one, never had one. I THINK they made them in two sizes, the 18 inch one you mention and one maybe 10 or so. Remco?

Just since I have this pic on my Photobucket. (I post it one gun forums in response to pics of AR-15s, 10/22s, etc., loaded up with what I consider "too much" bling.)

I didn't have one of these, never wanted one, as I always wanted more realistic stuff. But these were considered The Thing in some circles of my friends....

Some great memories seeing all these old one gents...thanks.   I was always into vehicle related stuff...and I saved most of my childhood ones but there gone now for the most part sadly.  Some I had were these...

Spin welders set.

I loved Spin Welders.  They were great and IIRC they even had a dragster that you could build.  Along the auto front I remember having the TTP or Turbo Tower of Power which was an air pump that blew air over a turbine in the car to get it going.

I also had some sort of car set, it was bigger than 1:43, but I don't thing as big as 1:24 that had a couple cars with replaceable panels and a body shop.  Some of the panels were "damaged" and you could take them to the body shop to get them "fixed".

I remember those! Always wanted one, never had one. I THINK they made them in two sizes, the 18 inch one you mention and one maybe 10 or so. Remco?

Yeah, Remco Bulldog tank. Speaking of never had one, I always wanted one of these and never had one. It's a Tonka.

th?id=OIP.M8189c72add7ac8df607f1156a32ad

Edited by Kit Basher

Remember those toy car dashboards? I had one, but can't remember the brand name. It was really big, and had all sorts of buttons and knobs and stuff that worked. You could sit at the table with the dash in front of you and pretend to drive. Mine looked something like this, but I don't think I had this exact one...

753daf61daa23d_zpsta98iqrd.jpg

Yep I remember that one !  The working wipers were my favorite part ! :D

Almost forgot about this one, it was under the tree in either 67 or 68.  Box is ratty but the car still works.  I think it was one of the first RC cars made.  It also explains why I have always owned FORDs and mostly Mustangs.  I think it is rare since it was bought on mainland Japan hence the box is in Japanese.  :)

Box.JPG

Out of Box.JPG

In box w measurement.JPG

Edited by GT4494

My brother and I had this. Bake up your own vulcanized rubber Jag body using colored goop. Burn dangers, fire hazards, toxins, it was great to be a kid back then.

johnnytoymakerbox-559x411_zpsyg1cwi2w.jp

Hmmm. I thought I was the King of Toys... :P   but I never heard of this!

I had a pedal tractor that looked just like this one. My older brother's friend gave it to me and it was used but it was so hard to pedal it was not any fun. I was about 4 and have no idea what happen to it. I think my dad left it when we moved....

They sold things like that at the grocery store we went to around Christmastime. Might have been made by Topper, who did several things in that market.

I think I MIGHT have had a car dashboard very early, but it wasn't anywhere near as elaborate at this one.

I did have an airplane one. It was called Flying Fox and had a model Lockheed Electra airliner mounted on it. The motors ran and the landing gear retracted and I think it even moved around. Was made by Remco and I think they go for big bux on ePay these days.

Best name in motion toys = REMCO

greg

The Big Four names in toys in my day were Remco, Ideal, Marx, and Mattel. And Topper made quite a few cool guns, though their name wasn't a household word.

Sure it was. Remember the Johnny Eagle guns? Also, the parent company was Deluxe Reading, makers of the Crusader 101 that I and another poster mentioned. Topper made Johnny Lightning cars, Suzy Homemaker, the Johnny Seven O.M.A. (One Man Army) and Johnny Eagle Lieutenant M14 rifles, definite must-haves for all young Cold War commie killers in training:

f802cdd4e9dc7e81defc15da0815879a.thumb.j

Do you remember this?

post-439-0-21633400-1330680653.thumb.jpg

My friends and I had all this great cra-p. We were armed to the teeth and ready for any possible attack. Well, that's not completely accurate. There was one enemy who we feared more than the evil communist hordes from Eastern Europe, and he was called "Beast". Beast was the only adversary who was able to thwart our attacks and keep us at bay. See, Beast had a BB rifle which he used on us whenever we went through his backyard during our wargames. All of the backyards for four square blocks were interconnected and it made for great times playing army, hot peas n' butter, team tag with almost one hundred kids involved and other property-intrusive fun. 

Edited by SfanGoch

Sure it was. Remember the Johnny Eagle guns? Also, the parent company was Deluxe Reading, makers of the Crusader 101 that I and another poster mentioned. Topper made Johnny Lightning cars, Suzy Homemaker, the Johnny Seven O.M.A. (One Man Army) and Johnny Eagle Lieutenant M14 rifles, definite must-haves for all young Cold War commie killers in training:

f802cdd4e9dc7e81defc15da0815879a.thumb.j

Do you remember this?

My friends and I had all this great cra-p. We were armed to the teeth and ready for any possible attack. Well, that's not completely accurate. There was one enemy who we feared more than the evil communist hordes from Eastern Europe, and he was called "Beast". Beast was the only adversary who was able to thwart our attacks and keep us at bay. See, Beast had a BB rifle which he used on us whenever we went through his backyard during our wargames. All of the backyards for four square blocks were interconnected and it made for great times playing army, hot peas n' butter, team tag with almost one hundred kids involved and other property-intrusive fun. 

I not only remember the J7OMA, I posted a pic of it earlier in this thread. I had a Secret Sam attaché case gun. The Johnny Eagle stuff came along just as I was outgrowing toy guns and moving on to model cars. I always coveted the Lieutenant .45, though, and eventually bought one off ePay a few years ago. There's a pic of it in the Other Hobbies thread (last post in that thread, I think).

I never had any of that Agent M stuff, though I did covet a couple of those goodies briefly. I did have an "official" 007 Luger with a gold-plated scope. Christmas of 1965 on that one, maybe. Also had a Walther PPK cap pistol, which I still have (pic also in the Other Hobbies thread).

Do you remember this?

Oh man, that made me laugh! We had one of those radio/rifle things. My Mom had a couple of the brats in the truck (me and my sister) and she pulled up to the drive thru window of a bank. One of us pointed that thing at the bank teller, her eyes got huge with surprise, then she started laughing. My Mom turned a perfect shade of red!:lol: Aren't kids rotten?!

Edited by Kit Basher

... and had a model Lockheed Electra airliner mounted on it. The motors ran and the landing gear retracted and I think it even moved around...

Did the wings flutter and come off in flight unexpectedly? If I recall correctly, that was one of the Electra's endearing features.

I think I might have had that Mr. Machine, but I am not sure. I have a very vague memory of a clear toy I could take apart and put back together. I thought we had two and one was a train. 

SSPs Smash up derby cars!!!! I just started looking for those. A bit pricey now.

Don't for get these for ruining carpet and scorched fingers. Also constant complaints from Mom about the smell

creeplepeeple1-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Edited by Scott Colmer