Model Cars Magazine Forum

Post pics of your fave paint jobs!

philo426

Boy!

I'm absolutely no fan of mid 70s Torinos, but that is one gorgeous paint job!

Steve

Wow, thanks Steven, that compliment coming from you is a high honor, considering you're a master of paint in my book.

And, I'm no fan of this mid seventies Torino either, this build was more a personal challenge to see everyone else building it box-stock and thought I'd step out of the box and re-design it. The original has the ugliest stripe and ugly big bumpers, so I took care of that I think. 

Wow, thanks Steven, that compliment coming from you is a high honor, considering you're a master of paint in my book.

And, I'm no fan of this mid seventies Torino either, this build was more a personal challenge to see everyone else building it box-stock and thought I'd step out of the box and re-design it. The original has the ugliest stripe and ugly big bumpers, so I took care of that I think. 

It definitely changes my outlook on that car... I absolutely hated it til your build popped up. I dig that one.

Love this post! So many nicely done paint jobs here. From patina to candy to single stage to flake, very inspiring. 

I'm particularly proud of this paint job on my 57 Chrysler. It was all done using Plastikote automotive spray can lacquer with the exception of the dark fogging which was done using reduced black nail polish and some gold pearl mixed in clear. I sprayed the gold metallic base first, then masked off the panels. I airbrushed the panel edges with the black, then sprayed the panels with candy red. I then peeled off the masking, added some gold pearl powder into some clear and layed a couple coats over the whole thing before burying it all in clear. I used my own polishing system of wetsanding with 1500 and 2000 grit, then toothpaste as a rubbing compound, then Mirror Glaze for final finish.

ChryslerA.jpg

• Like 1

torino paint.jpg

Whoa HO! HO!!! Now ..............be awesome! The paint on that thing looks six feet deep!!!!

Here's my all time favorite. I think hell did freeze over when I completed this finish.

My 32 year old Monogram Challenger that I took apart, stripped the gloss coat on and started over. No base paint. Only gloss coat from a spray can.

DSCN1445_zpsabgntjpn.jpg

Edited by mustang1989
  • Like 1