Model Cars Magazine Forum

Post pics of your fave paint jobs!

philo426

• 3 weeks later...

This is an old Monogram kit I built about 30 years ago, I think. The color scheme is based on a hot rod in one of Henry Gregor Felsen's books (Hot Rod, Street Rod--not sure which, now.). The book's car was a pink coupe with copper colored wire wheels. The paint is a layered combination of Gunze acrylics and some pearl powder that a group of us shared from an auto paint supply store. I displayed it at GSL, back in the '80s, at some point. Mark Gustavson told me that, had I entered it, I'd have won Best Paint, that year. Live and learn, I reckon!

100_0652.jpg

100_0650.jpg

100_0648.jpg

Beautiful paint Daniel, the pearl makes it really glow. Funny that you mention Felsen's book, that's the first book I ever purchased. I must say the picture I had in my mind back then ( 1962? ) was certainly a different shade of pink though :D

Edited by Draggon

Beautiful paint Daniel, the pearl makes it really glow. Funny that you mention Felsen's book, that's the first book I ever purchased. I must say the picture I had in my mind back then ( 1962? ) was certainly a different shade of pink though :D

Yes, Glenn, mine was too! Thanks for the kind words! Love the shot of the Magicar in your avatar.

This is an old Monogram kit I built about 30 years ago, I think. The color scheme is based on a hot rod in one of Henry Gregor Felsen's books (Hot Rod, Street Rod--not sure which, now.). The book's car was a pink coupe with copper colored wire wheels. The paint is a layered combination of Gunze acrylics and some pearl powder that a group of us shared from an auto paint supply store. I displayed it at GSL, back in the '80s, at some point. Mark Gustavson told me that, had I entered it, I'd have won Best Paint, that year. Live and learn, I reckon!

100_0652.jpg

100_0650.jpg

100_0648.jpg

I love Porsches!!

The green one used to be a basic blue Hotwheels 1:64 model. It was a good casting that needed a bit of sanding to smoothen out the casting marks. And then i went crazy on the detailing. Placed next to a Minichamps 934 for comparison.

Porsche 934 - 911 - SHift - Ehsanur Razsa Ronny e.jpg

I won a Lincoln Mint '69 Daytona in a raffle at the San Antonio Modelfiesta. No interest in building a diecast, but the 5-spokes and white-letter tires were awesome.  So, I decided it was time to update the shoes on my '69 Super Bee. After that, I opted to upgrade the exhaust with polished aluminum and give it a nice waxing.  Still looks nice for being painted 20 years ago.

DSC04390.JPG

DSC04392.JPG

I won a Lincoln Mint '69 Daytona in a raffle at the San Antonio Modelfiesta. No interest in building a diecast, but the 5-spokes and white-letter tires were awesome.  So, I decided it was time to update the shoes on my '69 Super Bee. After that, I opted to upgrade the exhaust with polished aluminum and give it a nice waxing.  Still looks nice for being painted 20 years ago.

DSC04390.JPG

DSC04392.JPG

Man, way cool.