Model Cars Magazine Forum

Post pics of your fave paint jobs!

philo426

1 hour ago, bisc63 said:

Beautiful body and paint work! This is the best build of that kit I've ever seen. It gets passed by a lot, but has funky 70s show car potential. Wasn't this a Tom Daniel design?

Thanks Rusty.   This is a Tom Daniel design.   That guy had quite the imagination.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I keep trying to improve my paint jobs but can't seem to get it right. I first was using Rustoleum 2x spray paints, but lately I've been using craft paints and Createx paints. I've tried different clears and ended up just using Revive floor polish. The other day I decided to try something I remember doing 30 years ago before I quit the hobby. I was then using the little Testors bottle enamels spraying them with a cheap Testors plastic airbrush and a can of air. I thought it did a good job back then. So I tried it again using my Paasche H, mixing the enamel 50/50 with generic lacquer thinner. I think it did ok, needs improvement but it's probably better than what my results have been lately. 

_IGP1038.jpg

6 minutes ago, bluestringer said:

I keep trying to improve my paint jobs but can't seem to get it right. I first was using Rustoleum 2x spray paints, but lately I've been using craft paints and Createx paints. I've tried different clears and ended up just using Revive floor polish. The other day I decided to try something I remember doing 30 years ago before I quit the hobby. I was then using the little Testors bottle enamels spraying them with a cheap Testors plastic airbrush and a can of air. I thought it did a good job back then. So I tried it again using my Paasche H, mixing the enamel 50/50 with generic lacquer thinner. I think it did ok, needs improvement but it's probably better than what my results have been lately. 

_IGP1038.jpg

That looks really good James.  I'm still stuck on the Createx paints as you have been using and I get pretty good results. My friend Bob ("Zippy") just got a great paint job on his current '40 Ford with the Tamiya Acrylic and I'm seriously considering giving it a try.

22 minutes ago, Brudda said:

A 49 merc custom. A revell kit. First custom for me. Seems like a cool kit. Mystic cobra color. Had some left over from a mustang cobra I painted a few years ago. 

DA984B08-584A-474F-A923-DC1BFB8CA20F.jpeg

16E9E519-B7F1-4512-ABBB-31E1EBC312DF.jpeg

C5635601-487B-4748-8A67-B6A9F2B726EC.jpeg

E3847691-B487-4023-9220-BDA0C0E6463C.jpeg

98CA8D4A-7922-4319-B9AC-2D480CAE42C3.jpeg

Hi Bruce!

Spectacular paint and gloss, bravo! A great use of "leftovers". Can't wait to see it assembled!

CT

2 minutes ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Mike!

To set the record straight... this is a car built by Bruce (see above). I would be admitedly proud to claim it as my own, but I'm just a bystander here...

CT 

Ha, goofed that up huh!!  My apologies  Bruce, outstanding !!  

3 hours ago, Brudda said:

Thank you Claude. Here is a mock up. 

6E479291-60AA-4BAB-8866-44BD29C034E3.jpeg

47 minutes ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Bruce!

It will be a killer! If I may: what it the provenance of the wheels and tires? They are superb...

CT 

Hey Claude, I went black on the wheels. The gold was ok but it did not set right in my mind. Looks meaner with the black wheels. I bought these from a guy in Florida. Bought them several years ago. Should have bought more. I do remember it took 9 months to get them. I actually forgot about them , then they arrived. Thought I would try new custom and put them together on old custom. Just might work.