Model Cars Magazine Forum

Post pics of your fave paint jobs!

philo426

On 1/31/2024 at 12:24 PM, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Sir!

A spectacular roster, bravo! 

That Charger looks like a promo picture from MOPAR at launch. Details are masterful. 

CT

Agree 100%. Normally I'm not a big fan of green cars but I'd love to have a 1:1 like that in my driveway and that kit on my shelf.  Great work!

• 4 weeks later...

Here is one of the rare occasions that I'm actually happy with the way the paint scheme turned out on this personal project lol Chopped/customized 62 Belair bubbletop. Exterior paint is lacquer, gloss black on top and candy tangerine fades over slightly orange tinted white pearl:  

20211214_110440.jpg

SmFront.png

SmSide.png

20211214_105822.jpg

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Ferbz said:

Here is one of the rare occasions that I'm actually happy with the way the paint scheme turned out on this personal project lol Chopped/customized 62 Belair bubbletop. Exterior paint is lacquer, gloss black on top and candy tangerine fades over slightly orange tinted white pearl:  

20211214_110440.jpg

SmFront.png

SmSide.png

20211214_105822.jpg

One word on this.....WOW!!!!👍👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ferbz said:

20211214_110440.jpg

SmFront.png

SmSide.png

20211214_105822.jpg

OMG!!!!! Absolutely beautiful!

• Like 1

Here's another one of my favorite paint jobs that didnt blow up on me lol My customized AMT 57 Chrysler was built many years ago painted primarily with Plastikote nitrocellulose spray can lacquers. The basecoat is Plastikote's Metallic Gold. The panel pattern was masked off then Black fogging was airbrushed on. Plastikote's Candy Apple Red was sprayed next then the masking was removed. I then airbrushed a couple coats of decanted Plastikote Clear with some gold powder pearl mixed into it. Final clear coats were sprayed straight from the can then wet sanded/polished. As far as I can tell, Plastikote no longer makes their line of nitrocellulose spray can paints which I sorely miss!

Screenshot 2024-03-08 092551.png

Screenshot 2024-03-08 092605.png

• Like 2

Hi Ferby!

Very nice! That technique of "panel painting", with contrasting shading UNDER the candy coat was sooooooo popular back then, and for good reasons. But I feel your previous post is even more of a feat. Rare are modelists today that spend so much attention on custom jobs, and you certainly rose to the call.

CT

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Ferby!

Very nice! That technique of "panel painting", with contrasting shading UNDER the candy coat was sooooooo popular back then, and for good reasons. But I feel your previous post is even more of a feat. Rare are modelists today that spend so much attention on custom jobs, and you certainly rose to the call.

CT

Thanks! Yes indeed 🙂 That whole 'Larry Watson era' sparked custom painting trends that we still see today! Traditional custom paint and body modifications are my favorite model subjects. As a result, I've spent lots of time and energy studying and iterating on ideas I'd like to see in scale and in 1:1 😉

• Like 1