Model Cars Magazine Forum

Post pics of your fave paint jobs!

philo426

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2020 at 10:06 PM, gseeds said:

Yeah just as easy on a model as it is on a real car , if you paint real cars you shouldn’t have to much trouble, I’ve been painting real cars for over 45 years, I just apply the same techniques to the models, here’s a pic of my real car I just sold .

C2C04352-6785-41D9-8AA0-86F82CA5B02C.jpeg

1C7E9D84-0594-436D-9CC2-CD5CCD62D2DD.jpeg

C7A76750-FA70-4F14-9FDB-E5DC01849579.jpeg

57A43618-FF13-433C-A9DC-8201937C16DB.jpeg

Hi Sir!

Since you've been around paint guns for a while, I would pick your brain, if I may...

On some low riders, I've seen a technique that to me is rare, so much that I don't know of any name for it. Let me describe...

It is a long, uninterrupted "swirl" of a fine paint line, about 3 inches wide (the swirl), that was included in panel painting, mostly on roof of low riders. The visual effect is akin to taking a SLINKY toy (those coils that went down stairs from our youth !) and stretch it along a painted pannel.

I always tought that it was done with a revolving spray gun head, and that the painter varied the width of the "swirl" by moving closer or further from the surface... I suppose it is done with thick lacquer, like cobwebbing, to get a long filament. A freshly applied clear coat would get the swirl to adhere and stabilize, like with cobwebbing. 

Have-you ever seen or done this technique yourself, and can you advise about it?

Thank you!

CT  

10 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Sir!

Since you've been around paint guns for a while, I would pick your brain, if I may...

On some low riders, I've seen a technique that to me is rare, so much that I don't know of any name for it. Let me describe...

It is a long, uninterrupted "swirl" of a fine paint line, about 3 inches wide (the swirl), that was included in panel painting, mostly on roof of low riders. The visual effect is akin to taking a SLINKY toy (those coils that went down stairs from our youth !) and stretch it along a painted pannel.

I always tought that it was done with a revolving spray gun head, and that the painter varied the width of the "swirl" by moving closer or further from the surface... I suppose it is done with thick lacquer, like cobwebbing, to get a long filament. A freshly applied clear coat would get the swirl to adhere and stabilize, like with cobwebbing. 

Have-you ever seen or done this technique yourself, and can you advise about it?

Thank you!

CT  

Hi CT, That’s a vailing  gun it is done with a tick lacquer, it was mainly use back in the 40’s and 50’s on furniture, lamp shades would be painted with that slinky like design, custom car painter Larry Watson way back Introduced that technique to the custom car world back in the 60’s In bellflower California , Larry had once said it was done with a homemade rotating head on a spray gun , but I believe at one time you could buy this gun from Devilbiss which is a spray gun company, I have seen pictures of the gun Larry had , and from time to time I’ve racked my head on how to make one for myself, theirs a car done in the early 70’s painted but Walt Prey , the car is a 64 impala named Gypsie rose this car has tons of that technique applied to it you can google that to see , unfortunately I’ve never came up with a gun that will do that , I was told that a buddy of mine , Ralph out in California has got one but I’ve never seen it , sorry I couldn’t be any more help but your right it’s a awesome look !!

2 hours ago, gseeds said:

Hi CT, That’s a vailing  gun it is done with a tick lacquer, it was mainly use back in the 40’s and 50’s on furniture, lamp shades would be painted with that slinky like design, custom car painter Larry Watson way back Introduced that technique to the custom car world back in the 60’s In bellflower California , Larry had once said it was done with a homemade rotating head on a spray gun , but I believe at one time you could buy this gun from Devilbiss which is a spray gun company, I have seen pictures of the gun Larry had , and from time to time I’ve racked my head on how to make one for myself, theirs a car done in the early 70’s painted but Walt Prey , the car is a 64 impala named Gypsie rose this car has tons of that technique applied to it you can google that to see , unfortunately I’ve never came up with a gun that will do that , I was told that a buddy of mine , Ralph out in California has got one but I’ve never seen it , sorry I couldn’t be any more help but your right it’s a awesome look !!

Hi Gary!

Well, I was right in seeking your input on that! 

Now that you mention it, I remember the term "vailing", and that Gypsy Rose car IS the one I was thinking about. My first gun in the early 60's was a Devilbis JGA, a top notch gun at the time, that could be used both as a pressure feed (with a remote cup) and a suction feed with a regular cup. That gun was way too much for my capacities, but I was coaxed into buying it by an old man, who was running the paint shop at the furniture factory where my dad was production manager. Anything the old painter said was gospel, so... He gave me the big Devilbis catalog, circling what I would need to start on a good footing, as he said. I'll try to retrieve it in my files... that special veiling gun (or head?) might be featured, who knows. If so, I'll let you know! 

Thanks for kindly answering my quest!

Regards,

Claude Thibodeau 

46 minutes ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Gary!

Well, I was right in seeking your input on that! 

Now that you mention it, I remember the term "vailing", and that Gypsy Rose car IS the one I was thinking about. My first gun in the early 60's was a Devilbis JGA, a top notch gun at the time, that could be used both as a pressure feed (with a remote cup) and a suction feed with a regular cup. That gun was way too much for my capacities, but I was coaxed into buying it by an old man, who was running the paint shop at the furniture factory where my dad was production manager. Anything the old painter said was gospel, so... He gave me the big Devilbis catalog, circling what I would need to start on a good footing, as he said. I'll try to retrieve it in my files... that special veiling gun (or head?) might be featured, who knows. If so, I'll let you know! 

Thanks for kindly answering my quest!

Regards,

Claude Thibodeau 

Cool CT , hope you can locate one and pass the information on to me if you would, my first paint gun When I was 22 years old was a JGA 502 in 1982  , in my opinion the best custom paint gun ever!! It would spray anything but it shined when spraying lacquer Pearls and candys !! You could spray from a pencil point to a 10 inch fan perfectly, I still have about 10 of them in the shop somewhere In a box although I don’t use em very often anymore, but I do have a JGA-502 tattooed on the back side of my forearm!!  Thanks CT , Gary .

Edited by gseeds

8 hours ago, gseeds said:

Cool CT , hope you can locate one and pass the information on to me if you would, my first paint gun When I was 22 years old was a JGA 502 in 1982  , in my opinion the best custom paint gun ever!! It would spray anything but it shined when spraying lacquer Pearls and candys !! You could spray from a pencil point to a 10 inch fan perfectly, I still have about 10 of them in the shop somewhere In a box although I don’t use em very often anymore, but I do have a JGA-502 tattooed on the back side of my forearm!!  Thanks CT , Gary .

Hi Gary!

A JGA gun tatoo? Well, that's a product endorsement, if ever there was one! 

CT

3 hours ago, Steve H said:

Wow, lots of amazing paint. Awesome work by all. 
My three favourites:

- 41 Chev truck with flat clear

- 67 Chevelle in med. Garnett red 

- 37 Ford in olive drab patinaB344316F-3265-43CF-AE39-0A2D843B43F8.thumb.jpeg.7ab386418dfd6ae03a4e1c5c62760958.jpegC7F81BA9-670B-4EBC-9D76-AA53F3F4EAFB.thumb.jpeg.b70fa0a2cfb0571e57ebeff32d566d3d.jpeg64EFC20B-8472-4F71-B146-21EEAC56AE64.thumb.jpeg.32b3a74f8159965874b9ce430e197758.jpeg

Steve All three look great but that chevelle is absolutely awesome!!

5 hours ago, Tommy124 said:

Nice finish! Which kit is this?

Hello Tommy124, this is the 1/12,revell Shelby GT500 kit. Comes as a fastback only. I made this a convertible. A lot of fabricating- scratchbuilding. More pics

D6D84C3E-D12E-44E8-894D-9E5E247E72C2.jpeg

0E28221F-45B5-4EB9-8D12-E236983F5DAC.jpeg

5D1C241D-AD10-4DA1-BA1A-44E11C0FD63C.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2020 at 4:31 PM, Dragonhawk1066 said:

My two most recent. Model Master Honduras Maroon and Tamiya TS-38 Gunmetal on the 1940 Ford. Tamiya TS-53 Deep Metallic Blue from the can with Tamiya X-2 Acrylic White airbrushed stripes and red pinstripe and hash mark decals on the 1970 1/2 Camaro.

DSCN4458.JPG

DSCN4476.JPG

DSCN4662.JPG

DSCN4671.JPG

Beautiful job on both Craig. I particularly like the Camaro. My next project is likely to be a pro touring 70 1/2 Camaro. Well done, and the garage diorama is awesome too! 

Cheers, Steve

20 hours ago, Steve H said:

Beautiful job on both Craig. I particularly like the Camaro. My next project is likely to be a pro touring 70 1/2 Camaro. Well done, and the garage diorama is awesome too! 

Cheers, Steve

Thanks Steve, I appreciate it!

7 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Super cool Camaro!!!??

Thanks Mike!

16 minutes ago, yellowsportwagon said:

Thanks man this was way out of my normal era and style to build. I must say this was an absolutely outstanding kit to build. I can’t remember anything not fitting properly.

Like you this isn't something I would build normally. I do like the Alfa's and I may try one sometime in the future. I just have to many waiting in the Que right now. But I really do like the way this turned out for you and hope your wife appreciates your build also. I did a '67 Chevelle SS396 for my wife a few years ago. Both my style and something she liked also.  

1 hour ago, espo said:

Like you this isn't something I would build normally. I do like the Alfa's and I may try one sometime in the future. I just have to many waiting in the Que right now. But I really do like the way this turned out for you and hope your wife appreciates your build also. I did a '67 Chevelle SS396 for my wife a few years ago. Both my style and something she liked also.  

I’ll have to dig up the Marina blue 66 Nova I built for my wife years ago. She loved it.

On 8/19/2020 at 10:03 AM, yellowsportwagon said:

I must say this was an absolutely outstanding kit to build. I can’t remember anything not fitting properly.

I built one of the Moebius '55 Chryslers some time ago and I agree completely.

An absolutely fabulously engineered kit!!

Everything fit together like a fine watch!

Steve