Model Cars Magazine Forum

Post pics of your fave paint jobs!

philo426

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2020 at 6:51 PM, Elmer Fudd said:

I have a few, but am not going to be a board hog. MPC 1970 Corvette made from a 1971 or 1972 molding. Marlboro Maroon is the Chevy color name.

1231088703_MPC1970MarlboroMaroon.JPG.913c64cf828f94a98c586c3c50204956.JPG

Hi Dale!

If you look up the word "gloss" in the Webster, I guess that's the picture beside it... Impressive. May I ask what kind of clear you use? 

CT

On 8/31/2020 at 5:51 PM, Elmer Fudd said:

I have a few, but am not going to be a board hog. MPC 1970 Corvette made from a 1971 or 1972 molding. Marlboro Maroon is the Chevy color name.

1231088703_MPC1970MarlboroMaroon.JPG.913c64cf828f94a98c586c3c50204956.JPG

Shiny!!  I too would like to know which clear you used.  My money’s on 2K, but I’m often wrong...

On 9/1/2020 at 8:33 PM, Claude Thibodeau said:

May I ask what kind of clear you use? 

CT

On 9/1/2020 at 10:52 PM, CabDriver said:

I too would like to know which clear you used.  

Hello, Men. It was a 2-part (catalyzed) automotive clear urethane over Duplicolor lacquer touchup spray in the discontinued small cans.

Over the past 25 years several different brands were used here. Sometimes it was leftover material from spraying clear on a real car. Other times it was some cheap stuff that came from the painter's supply store.

Regardless of the brand, they ALL came out glossy like this with zero buffing. From reading, it appears that the only difference between brands is the advertised durability against outdoors weather and UV from the sun. Since the model cars are living the good life inside the house, durability is not a concern.

2-part urethane is tack-free in 1 hour. So after topcoating with clear they were moved to a room in the house where the air is still.

Final answer: it's unknown what brand was used here but (apologies) it was not 2K. The painter is too cheap to spring for a well-known name although he did use the PPG system on the kid's drunken and foolish off-road excursion and resultant consequences.

Y'all have a great Holiday Weekend!

10 hours ago, Elmer Fudd said:

Hello, Men. It was a 2-part (catalyzed) automotive clear urethane over Duplicolor lacquer touchup spray in the discontinued small cans.

Over the past 25 years several different brands were used here. Sometimes it was leftover material from spraying clear on a real car. Other times it was some cheap stuff that came from the painter's supply store.

Regardless of the brand, they ALL came out glossy like this with zero buffing. From reading, it appears that the only difference between brands is the advertised durability against outdoors weather and UV from the sun. Since the model cars are living the good life inside the house, durability is not a concern.

2-part urethane is tack-free in 1 hour. So after topcoating with clear they were moved to a room in the house where the air is still.

Final answer: it's unknown what brand was used here but (apologies) it was not 2K. The painter is too cheap to spring for a well-known name although he did use the PPG system on the kid's drunken and foolish off-road excursion and resultant consequences.

Y'all have a great Holiday Weekend!

Hi Dale!

Thank you for the detailed reply. So far, I've avoided using real automotive clear on my models, because if polishing is ever needed, the sheer hardness of this cured "real paint" most often requires vigorous rubbing, i.e. heat... and styrene does not like heat, as I'm certain you know. 

But, you changed my mind, and therefore, I'll soon pull-out the HOK Show Klear that  I use on real cars, and give it a try. Who knows? 

Thanks again, and stay safe!

CT 

5 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Dale!

Thank you for the detailed reply.

Well, sir............it takes some self-control to stop spraying when the clear looks a little wavy. But after 2 light coats and another fairly wet coat you need to wait a few minutes for it to level out. Then move your subject to a dust-free environment.  Practice makes perfect. Best to practice on a piece of junk because 2-part urethane resists the weather AND cutting & polishing.

Thank you guys. All of you guys are world class builders. Me , not so much. Here is the base coat paint I used. And the spray gun I use. The clear I use is sherwin Williams HPC 15. You need hardner  and reducer also. The clear is like water when mixed so it goes onto models in scale. All 2k clears are not created equal. House of color is very thick , so not so good for models. The bad part on the sherwin Williams HPC 15 is it is going out. It’s a older product. So I will find another soon. PPG has some good clears I will try out. The base is bmw color systems base. Water based so it is a little harder to work with. BMW changes out their paints every 2 years. So the old stuff goes into the recycler. ( thrown out). So I take them home for my models. Saves them hundreds of dollars for disposal fees and I get free paint. The spray gun I use is a iwata lph 400. Full size spray gun. Has  great adjustments for fine refinishing. Hope this helps. Here are some pics. Thank you guys 

81279951-778A-47EF-A10B-CCBA0982724D.jpeg

65EE2E2D-AF4C-4190-89B0-4C6E5C2309F1.jpeg

8878C95D-8849-4746-BD0A-99FBA8505A85.jpeg

On 9/13/2020 at 6:48 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

I'm quite happy with the paint on my '64 Pontiac Grand Prix.

image.jpeg.2e3c8d9e2bc9ea1d8a4345f237f53040.jpeg

Steve

Hi Steven!

Great paint and model. If you would have taken the pic on, say, a piece of dark coarse sand-paper (pavement like), it would fool anyone into thinking it is the real 1/1 car! 

Bravo!

CT

22 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Steven!

Great paint and model. If you would have taken the pic on, say, a piece of dark coarse sand-paper (pavement like), it would fool anyone into thinking it is the real 1/1 car! 

Bravo!

CT

I'll have to remember that for next time!

Thanks Claude! ^_^

Steve

• 1 month later...