Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Post pics of your fave paint jobs!


philo426

Recommended Posts

I wasn't going to post this but a good buddy of mine here on MCM said and I quote "looks darn good enough to me" so I thought what the heck.  I have been testing and struggling with paints, clear coats, airbrushing, rattle cans for a pretty long time and could not get a paint job that was to my liking.  I have a 56 Ford body I airbrushed with Testors paint and not sure what went wrong but I decided to sand it down and go back to basics with what I started with about 6 months ago.  Yup....craft paint.  I got a fairly decent paint job with my Paasche H was on a 56 Ford body but I didn't get enough clear on it to make it shine.  The black 56 body is my most recent and was painted with Delta Ceramcoat acrylic paint and clear coated with Rust-Oleum Clear lacquer.  I then wet sanded (very slow and a lot of sanding) and then polished it with Meguiar's Mirrow Glaze and Novus 2.  I believe for me this is about as good as it's going to get so this is my Fave paint job.      

20210330_090357.jpg.8bf0d9e657a586caba3cea90c1dae631.jpg

20210330_090540.jpg.80575dd53ee13dc77034d3088b1c929a.jpg

20210904_152238_resized.jpg.bb7ca2954a8fa330c973d871fcd87ab7.jpg.84475a1db8af93b3ce9e368c22052d62.jpg

20210904_152816_resized.jpg.4aea7839226f24e35795713a6c54544c.jpg.317fb7d05098b10c91b8c6cdee51bf60.jpg

71yfrPLHMEL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

81HrmMAmR4L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/5/2021 at 8:02 AM, Zippi said:

I wasn't going to post this but a good buddy of mine here on MCM said and I quote "looks darn good enough to me" so I thought what the heck.  I have been testing and struggling with paints, clear coats, airbrushing, rattle cans for a pretty long time and could not get a paint job that was to my liking.  I have a 56 Ford body I airbrushed with Testors paint and not sure what went wrong but I decided to sand it down and go back to basics with what I started with about 6 months ago.  Yup....craft paint.  I got a fairly decent paint job with my Paasche H was on a 56 Ford body but I didn't get enough clear on it to make it shine.  The black 56 body is my most recent and was painted with Delta Ceramcoat acrylic paint and clear coated with Rust-Oleum Clear lacquer.  I then wet sanded (very slow and a lot of sanding) and then polished it with Meguiar's Mirrow Glaze and Novus 2.  I believe for me this is about as good as it's going to get so this is my Fave paint job.      

20210330_090357.jpg.8bf0d9e657a586caba3cea90c1dae631.jpg

20210330_090540.jpg.80575dd53ee13dc77034d3088b1c929a.jpg

20210904_152238_resized.jpg.bb7ca2954a8fa330c973d871fcd87ab7.jpg.84475a1db8af93b3ce9e368c22052d62.jpg

20210904_152816_resized.jpg.4aea7839226f24e35795713a6c54544c.jpg.317fb7d05098b10c91b8c6cdee51bf60.jpg

71yfrPLHMEL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

81HrmMAmR4L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Yep "looks good enough to me"😂😂     Really tho, it looks great my Friend👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, JollySipper said:

We really need a love button, man...... I'm really diggin this one! Is it resin?

Hey TJ @JollySipper

Thank you much.

This ol' girl was built long ago. All plastic, and body filler, and no resin. No Jimmy Flintstone back when I built this.

This was my first House of Color metal flake and candy paint job in auto urethanes.

This was just a styling study, and has no body lines, like door lines and so on.

Glad you like 'er.

Dave

Edited by carbuilder1950
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well Bob, @Zippi my friend, I sure do appreciate your kind words.

One at a time, down the road, I will post these ol' girls, if nobody minds.

They were all a lot of fun to build, and I even managed to collect a few awards. Model clubing was a lot of fun back in the day.

All the best  - Dave

Edited by carbuilder1950
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/28/2021 at 6:52 PM, JollySipper said:

We really need a love button, man...... I'm really diggin this one! Is it resin?

There is a “love button”, it’s at the bottom right corner. It’s a big grey dot. If you push/click on it twice a heart symbol will appear there.   ❤️- Like so.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/20/2021 at 3:18 AM, Mattilacken said:

Thought i post my best paint job to date, only my third since starting over. 
Decanted Tamiya TS38 Gunmetal shot with my H&S Evolution, no clear because race car CBR Ruse.

69CEE850-6952-43E5-B25A-173767AB1E08.thumb.jpeg.1c8e7be47d678e3afc964e8838d4a71c.jpeg

449DA560-CD1B-4858-8488-1D70949F4C3B.jpeg
64DB190F-DD9D-4B83-8666-43729322CE45.jpeg

Excellent job!

I'd keep that in a nice display case. Without clear its as risk for scratches and chipping.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is my best paint job to date and this is about as good as it's going to get for me.  This was painted with Rust-Oleum flat white primer and cleared with Tamiya clear pearl.  I've tried all the different flavors of craft acrylic paints, Testors enamel, Tamiya Acrylics & lacquers through my air brush, and a host of different brands of rattle cans.  The one thing I do know for sure that works very well for me every time is the Rust-Oleum 2X gray & white Flat primers. I've come to terms with I'm never going to get that mirror finish paint job and I'm ok with that.

20211228_151742.jpg.7bf48df3cd1ef78f3eb74f3d79c56d10.jpg

20211228_150958.jpg.3f81d1acf5548c77dad969cebd9a4d33.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Zippi said:

This is my best paint job to date and this is about as good as it's going to get for me.  This was painted with Rust-Oleum flat white primer and cleared with Tamiya clear pearl.  I've tried all the different flavors of craft acrylic paints, Testors enamel, Tamiya Acrylics & lacquers through my air brush, and a host of different brands of rattle cans.  The one thing I do know for sure that works very well for me every time is the Rust-Oleum 2X gray & white Flat primers. I've come to terms with I'm never going to get that mirror finish paint job and I'm ok with that.

20211228_151742.jpg.7bf48df3cd1ef78f3eb74f3d79c56d10.jpg

20211228_150958.jpg.3f81d1acf5548c77dad969cebd9a4d33.jpg

Hi Bob!

This is a great model, and the paint is much more smooth and shiny than what came out of the factory for those 50's PU. No reason for any concern. Bravoi!

CT 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Bob!

This is a great model, and the paint is much more smooth and shiny than what came out of the factory for those 50's PU. No reason for any concern. Bravoi!

CT 

Thanks Claude.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Most of my paint jobs are flawed somehow, even though the overall finish is good. I don't use clear gloss very often because it's an unnecessary step since I want a more "in scale " look. I would micro-polish it anyway, to flatten out the orange-peel. I have not taken many staged shots; they are all indoor, sometimes before completion and until I do a real photo shoot of everything I've done, this suffices for now.  The best I can find are here. Thanks for looking.IMG_0603.jpg.06867176eb67d4f9cd4946d7c3d55057.jpgIMG_0671.thumb.jpg.cf7ffa2ce9d230753288941125024912.jpgIMG_1154.jpg.9a76220f7011dbac6cf62b75dbb18427.jpgIMG_1155.jpg.75634d616b8af8bd3f65f5a7520aa680.jpgIMG_0205.jpg.42486acba020432e536c43093177c40c.jpgIMG_0231.thumb.jpg.c7167c531a605b229f86b7cb3ab163f3.jpgIMG_0470.thumb.jpg.26719566cd429e9e00f2f816c27abf31.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Those are nice paint jobs Jim....you didn't mention what the paint is.

I wish I could remember 😪.  Hmmmm.....the Cameo is Testors (1/4 oz bottle) green metalflake, '48 zzzzzzz is Boyd's (model master) purple pearl (?), the sectioned ford is Testors extreme lacquer purple metal flake rattle can, the '34 is also rattle can extreme lacquer( gold metal flake, I think), High & Mighty is Ace hardware Premium rattle can ( I highly recommend this paint), the Olds is Krylon ivory (probably), and I think the '40 is Krylon burgundy. I really like Testors bottle paint thinned with cheap lacquer thinner for air brush and micro polish on everything after it's cured. No clear for me, thank you. Not if I don't  need to.

Below is Testors Arctic Blue on the Chevy and good ol' sub-lime green from the spray can on the GTX. I think the deuce coupe is Dupli-Color with clear (maybe Krylon)over it. The altered '34 is Testors 1/4 oz, purple of some description . The pickup is Krylon metallic gold, as is from the can. Not a great finish but a kinda weird color, yes? When I started spraying I was expecting something completely different 🥴. IMG_1550.jpg.c8dfec6bc05548a76b642ddc5f449339.jpgIMG_0380.jpg.29354a27733cf11039594f4c2a284b34.jpgIMG_1557.jpg.d07a96807e8eab2e1a0938d9ebd233b9.jpgIMG_1559.jpg.24b338ec65ac864768ba35c3a675fd23.jpgIMG_2638.jpg.2495ca9e7a8745eb30c7c8dda50e48bb.jpg

Edited by customline
Spacing paragraphs
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...