Model Cars Magazine Forum

NEW WIP: 64 Dodge 330 Color Me Gone

New WIP. Bought this Lindberg Color Me Gone kit at an Ollies discount for a whopping $7.... In probably going back to buy every one these as well as every Revell ZO6 Vette they have at that price lol. Anyway, ive never built a lindberg kit. But im happy with the quality so far. Detailed decals, really deep door and trunk separation lines, its actually STRAIGHT lol. The lack of options kinda bums me out. I did some research before opening it and it said that some of the CMG kits came with a slant as well as the big block. I would have LOVED to do a super six powered daily driven rod.... Im rambling. On with the show! Its not going to be box stock... Im not made that way haha. But im stuck on which way i wanna build it. Street car or gasser. If i build it as a street car itll have the max wedge engine that comes with the kit, tires and wheels from the 55 Chevy street machine kit, full interior with a bench seat, and a factory color paint job. No roll cage but a custom bent dual exhaust. If i do it gasser style its going to use a set of torque thrust style wheels with goodyear blue streak slicks, a blown hemi, all of the front straight axle stuff from the same 55 Chevy kit, and custom fender exit headera. Ive done basic rough mock ups of each. Which do you guys think? 

20160508_124728.jpg

20160508_124739.jpg

20160508_140816.jpg

20160508_140812.jpg

The Color Me Gone version has the max wedge engine only.

And as mentioned, I think only the 64 Plymouth kit had the slant six as an optional engine in it ???????

yea it has the max wedge. But some people have opened both the CMG and the Ramchargers 64 330 to find both the wedge AND the six cylinder..... I dont know if lindberg planned that or if it was just a flub. But just my luck i didnt get so lucky 

I think the gasser idea on that car

would look incredible.

David S.

i think ill build a gasser out of the next one i buy. Ive decided to keep this build pretty straight forward with little fabrication. Im going to focus instead on paint, interior detail and engine detail. The only fabbing im hoping to do is for the hubs on the wheels lol. Besides. If i build a gasser ill be tempted to build it as an ALTERED gasser..... Lost of custom fabrication. Im not in the mood to think that hard at the moment lol.

Been researching stock 64 dodge color options, and i think im going with the JJ1 light turquoise and interior option 2 for the 330, which is to say light turquoise with white trim. Im trying to make this look like a 330 someone bought off the lot new in 64 with a max wedge, then slapped a set of aluminum 5 slots and dual exhaust on it. Also im going to attempt a first try at alclad for the wheels, grill and bumpers, as well as BMF on the trim and interior shiny stuff. Like i said, im not trying to go crazy with fab work or custom stuff. Just a nice clean 'mostly stock' daily street machine :)

At the ollies near me they only had 2 to choose from laat time I stopped inone was like a 95 f150 and the other was a ferrari california I didnt know if going with the red engine would go well togeather with the green but it turned out pritty nice.

20160509_045036.jpg

20160509_183352.jpg

20160509_183404.jpg

Well, since you asked...  :D

I really like both looks for the car. It's a handsome design and looks good set up as either style. The nose-down attitude looks like a seriously fast, modern-setup that hooks-up well and goes like stink...though I think the nose may be just a tad too low.

Though everybody does it these days, the sky-high nose on the gasser isn't really the way the cars sat before launch. Think rocker panels about level if you want it to look real and not today's "nostalgiazed interpretation" of a gasser.

This straight-axle car sits right. Oh...no wonder. Dick Landy's crew kinda knew what they were doing.

deb33dd8715a756629e97be9fb59ecfb.jpg   Wrong...  ea9ff5568c5935bfe36b34bdd2afd1ee.jpg

A good looking, good working street setup needs enough ground clearance so that pesky things like headers don't get bent or torn off on every speed bump.

1964-dodge-330-profile.jpg

Image result for dodge 330 bracket racer

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Well, since you asked...  :D

I really like both looks for the car. It's a handsome design and looks good set up as either style. The nose-down attitude looks like a seriously fast, modern-setup that hooks-up well and goes like stink...though I think the nose may be just a tad too low.

Though everybody does it these days, the sky-high nose on the gasser isn't really the way the cars sat before launch. Think rocker panels about level if you want it to look real and not today's "nostalgiazed interpretation" of a gasser.

This straight-axle car sits right. Oh...no wonder. Dick Landy's crew kinda knew what they were doing.

deb33dd8715a756629e97be9fb59ecfb.jpg   Wrong...  ea9ff5568c5935bfe36b34bdd2afd1ee.jpg

A good looking, good working street setup needs enough ground clearance so that pesky things like headers don't get bent or torn off on every speed bump.

1964-dodge-330-profile.jpg

So true. My 1:1 Nova would bottom out and bend headers due to weak front springs. Chasing down flange leaks was a real PITA.  Love the black one!! Landy's version is sweet too!!!:wub: