Model Cars Magazine Forum

'34 Ford pick-up [original]

Picked up a builder original '34 Ford pick up at the last swap meet I went to. Soaked 95% of the old paint off and since it wasnt a glue bomb it should be a easy build

Its going to be a mild custom and I wont be using the supplied chrome engine or stock motor, I'll use the Pontiac V-8 from the '36 Ford coupe..it drops straight in..also using bigger chrome bullet headlamps from the '32 Chrysler Imperial.

DSC07370DSC07371DSC07373

Edited by BIGTRUCK

Picked up a builder original '34 Ford pick up at the last swap meet I went to. Soaked 95% of the old paint off and since it wasnt a glue bomb it should be a easy build

DSC06638.

Its going to be a mild custom and I wont be using the supplied chrome engine or stock motor, I'll use the Pontiac V-8 from the '36 Ford coupe..it drops straight in..also using bigger chrome bullet headlamps from the '32 Chrysler Imperial.

DSC07370DSC07371DSC07373

great find, Ken.....looking forward to your build here, as I scored a mint boxed AMT 34 Ford  Hillbilly Hauler a while back, and intend to build it as well.....one of my favorites, best,,,,the Ace........:)

• 4 months later...

Summers pretty much over and I went back to the last one I was working on. The headlights and most of the interior are from the '32 Imperial, V-8 engine from '36 Ford. Everything fits well . Frame and engine are a silver blue. Body may be 2 tone with one of the colors being white, not sure yet. Just feels good getting back to building something.

DSC07491DSC07490

Good looking ride you have going their, a family friend had a '32 back when I was young and I still remember that like it was yesterday. Bright red with red and white Tijuana tuck and roll interior and white headliner and interior panels with red piping and a clean little flathead with Canadian aluminum heads and two carb intake. Red steel wheels, wide whites and chrome spiders and lug nuts, with a three inch dropped front axle to drop the front down low enough to frighten the occasional gopher who stuck his head up out of the weeds. The one zany thing they did as high school boys was someone had picked up a handset from a pay phone and painted it the red to match the truck and ran the coaxial cable under the dash and built a cradle off the bottom of the dash to hang their "in car phone" with short Smitty glass packs it had the sound to match its looks and left an indelible impression on a young school boy.

The rest of the story is the owner enlisted in the Air Force in '62 and put it in storage on blocks, when he retired from the military he took a job in the private sector back east and left the truck in storage until he retired from that job in the early years of this century and returned home to his hometown and his truck. After opening the storage space and removing all the quilts and blankets used to protect it, it was in surprisingly good condition and after a good cleaning and doing the usual oil swap and gas tank clean out the little flatty fired up and ran. After rebuilding the carbs and having the interior restitched (the way most of those Tijuana jobs saved money and time was the use of cotton thread that rotted away pretty quickly) he's debating whether he wants to have it brought up to current standards or just leave it as a time piece from the past to show the younger generation what rodding was REALLY like in its infancy. Me? I'd keep it waxed up and drive it as is. After all, how many of us can step back into THEIR high school days and not have almost anything change (his high school sweetheart is his wife of almost 50 years).

Delton I enjoyed your story, Nick, I agree the roof would look better lower ..but with me, it seems when I start chopping and cutting up stuff lately I tend to get so far off the original ideas I'll put it aside in the ''Lost interest'' pile , but if I stay on track I can complete most projects..I must have reached that old guy status..:blink::D

• 1 month later...