Model Cars Magazine Forum

From RC Toy to Lowboy Load

Years ago I found this New Bright remote control bulldozer at a tag sale for 25 cents. New Bright did a bunch of large scale RC toys, a Cat 245, 992, 777, D9L, but this one is a small scale D9, which measures about 7 inches long without the ripper. I scaled it out, and it pretty closely resembles a 1/25th scale Cat D6T. So, even though it isn't technically a kit, and I really didn't go for perfect prototypical details, here is a quick rebuild of this toy to a passable lowboy load. I painted the tracks steel, raised the cab about 1/2", plugged a few holes where the RC mechanisms were, made some engine covers to hide the low detail engine, (didn't feel like replicating that), added some upper track idlers, and painted it Cat Yellow. I am not totally fond of the ROPS that came with it, so am doing that over as shown. Then I will decal it an call it done. Not a high detail build, and not perfect to the 1:1, but, as a quick build, and one that passes muster for ME, it works!

new bright.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

This looks pretty cool, Man....Very cool....Amazing what you can do with a toy, these days.....They come pretty close in quite a few cases.....I agree.....This is good enough...I've done a couple of toys up for loads......Jada has an excavator that looks awesome after a few tweaks......I've seen quite a few guys paint them to resemble CATs....Just the repainting of the tracks and main body makes it work........Can't wait to see it on the back of your lowboy whenever you get that set up....

Yeah, the ROPS is all wrong, am modifying that. And yeah, some other things look too big etc., but it will serve the purpose. Didn't want to get into another involved rebuild, so it was a Q&D..............Quick & Dirty. I SHOULD have sectioned the top of the cab to extend it higher to enlarge it, but I chose the lazy way by simply extending the bottom of the cab/tank unit. Looks just a bit out but it'll work. I'll call it a 50 footer.................looks like the real D6T from 50 feet away!

d6treal.jpg

Edited by redneckrigger

A SeaBee huh???

No, just an inveterate model builder. Saw this awesome shadowbox/diorama at a gun show we were working at and HAD to own it. It is so cool, perhaps I'll post some photos in the "All The Rest" section. It has back lighting, and superb details, simply had to have it. And since I got it, I've been offered about five times what I paid for it. I have several friends who were SeaBee's, and I absolutely respect them for what they and all of their brothers in arms did. I think I am going to donate it to the SeaBee Museum in Rhode Island. It would be a fitting place for it to reside.

Edited by redneckrigger

That's a good looking conversion, I was wondering what is ROPS my brain ain't working yet (blame night shift). I like your shadow box as well I bet ANY museum would take that with a BIG smile, looks like someone put a lot of time and work into it. Both are very nice.

Rich

That's a good looking conversion, I was wondering what is ROPS my brain ain't working yet (blame night shift). I like your shadow box as well I bet ANY museum would take that with a BIG smile, looks like someone put a lot of time and work into it. Both are very nice.

Rich

ROPS is the Roll Over Protection System, or the rollbar over the top of the cab. I don't blame night shift for me.....................it is a severe case of CRS...........(Can't Remember Stuff.......polite version)!

I think donating it to the Museum .Would be the thing to do ! I had some friends that retired from the Navy. Those guys have the shadow box thing down pat !

Be Well

Gator

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Tom, I like this thing!  25 cents, what a steal. 

I just had a laugh at a memory and experience I had at work before my military days.  I sunk a D4 !!  Working for a dredging company on night shift.  The levee broke during a muddy and thin sand bed dredging phase, and something had to be done quick!  Well, it was pitch black with only the moon shining, what looked to be firm enough was not, and the vibration of the D4 made it axle deep in nothing flat, soon it was above the hubs.  Wet sand is like cement, not even a dozer gets out. 

I'll bet they're still talking about that maneuver!

Cheers to a good time.

Great work on the conversion. I bought a few of those NB toys that looked close to 1/25 scale. 

I have only done anything to one of them.....the Cat dump truck.......I went more Tom Daniels on mine!!!

Some die cast take offs wheels and tires.....parts box stuff and a new cab and details.  These toys are good start points!!!!

kat777.jpg

Edited by Dave Van

Hi Tom, I like this thing!  25 cents, what a steal. 

I just had a laugh at a memory and experience I had at work before my military days.  I sunk a D4 !!  Working for a dredging company on night shift.  The levee broke during a muddy and thin sand bed dredging phase, and something had to be done quick!  Well, it was pitch black with only the moon shining, what looked to be firm enough was not, and the vibration of the D4 made it axle deep in nothing flat, soon it was above the hubs.  Wet sand is like cement, not even a dozer gets out. 

I'll bet they're still talking about that maneuver!

Cheers to a good time.

Ouch...............yeah, Cats don't swim well! Have seen a few buried like that, and they are a pain to get out!

Great work on the conversion. I bought a few of those NB toys that looked close to 1/25 scale. 

I have only done anything to one of them.....the Cat dump truck.......I went more Tom Daniels on mine!!!

Some die cast take offs wheels and tires.....parts box stuff and a new cab and details.  These toys are good start points!!!!

kat777.jpg

Very cool! And yes, it DOES look like something from Tom's mind! There are lots of neat things to be found in the toy department that can be modified to one's taste. Nice!!!