Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mack DM600 Tri Axle Dump Truck

Well, after spending a year plus on the CO4090A, I had to do an easy one, so I spent a couple days on the D6 shown elsewhere in this forum. So, now it's on to a little more involved one. This is an original MPC DM600 that I started almost 30 years ago. I used the Montone body from the Autocar kit, and figured on using the Tip Turbine engine from a Cruiseliner. I made my own pusher axle but am now going to use an aftermarket one. I also had narrowed the track between the rears. The interior is the steel dash one that I painted tan. The rebuild will see it painted 804 Mack Green and the frame will be red. I probably won't get carried away like I did with the IHC but time will tell!

mackdm600.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by redneckrigger

That's looking really good Tom, I'm normally not a big fan of green (camo excepted lol) but I'm gonna have to get some of that! Is the number a direct factory color?

Rich

THAT is a superb question!  This is SUPPOSED to be Mack code 804 green. Back when I used to paint 1:1 trucks, we had an R600 and a DM600 steel nose of that color in our fleet. Every time I got paint for them, it was a SLIGHTLY different shade. Seems that this color has MANY different offsets to it, and is about impossible to match, at least in my experience. In fact when I bought the paint for this build, my local paint shop couldn't even find the code. SO.............I found a color chip, and matched it to the closest of my ability to an available paint. My paint supplier is a PPG shop, and I use acrylic enamels. This green is actually a GM code, number 3255, PPG Shop Line Enamels. I still have all of my old codes, but apparently, those formulas are less and less available in enamels today. Since I left the 1:1 painting world back in 1998, most of my old codes are not good any more, so now it is just look WAY WAY WAY back into my memory to remember the color and try to match to an existing chip!

Edited by redneckrigger

I like seeing you pull out these old projects and moving them on ... so I don't feel bad with all I have sitting waving their hands at me. :D

Looks like I watch another truck going together.

I have enough projects sitting waiting to last me the rest of my life!

I have enough projects sitting waiting to last me the rest of my life!

Tom,

I know your are not the only one in that boat ! But that is the beauty of the hobby . I know that I won't ever run out of projects to build or refurbish .

So enjoy the build and sharing it with us here. I am sure that I am not the only one that enjoys your builds.

Be Well

Gator

I like the green!!

Tom,

I know your are not the only one in that boat ! But that is the beauty of the hobby . I know that I won't ever run out of projects to build or refurbish .

So enjoy the build and sharing it with us here. I am sure that I am not the only one that enjoys your builds.

Be Well

Gator

Tom looks like your off to a good start on your Mack. 

I like seeing you pull out these old projects and moving them on ... so I don't feel bad with all I have sitting waving their hands at me. :D

Looks like I watch another truck going together.

Nice start and great colors. I am sure you will have fun with this project!!

looks great !

Looking forward to this project. The paint job came out great!

That green and red will look great.  Been planning to do that color combination myself.

Thanks to all for the great words....................my work isn't the greatest to be seen by FAR, but like most, as long as it pleases us, it's good to go!

Here it is just mocked up on the incomplete chassis. Also did the correct panel lines as can be seen on the drivers side in front of the door and on the rocker panel, done on both sides of the cab. This is the original issue DM600 as the follow on issues SOMEWHERE along the line they modified the hood so they could use the same cab as the DM800, as can be seen in the photo of the Rubber Duck issue, also shown without the panel lines.  

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Tom,

This one is looking real good thus far. I like the monotone  dump body. It is a good choice for the truck.

Down in Miami in the early 70's dump bodies by Garwood mounted on Brockways were pretty much the norm , if I remember correctly.

Be Well

Gator

• 2 months later...

A small update on the DM project.............................added a second battery box, steps to the passenger side mounted hydraulic tank, a frame rear towing plate with pintle hitch, a Neway pusher axle, another sir tank and a few other tiny details. Going to use floats on the front and traction tires on the rear drive axles from Jamie Rahmoeller. Haven't had much time as of late, but every little bit counts!

dm1 (Small).JPG

dm2 (Small).JPG