Model Cars Magazine Forum

Built in 1975 Custom Ford Van - StarTruk

I designed and built this to enter in the junior class AutoWorld model contest in 1974, I was 12.

Custom body flares, spoilers cust out and wing-open the doors. Hand painted all the StarTrek space mural and airbrushed the rest.

Handmade interior with TV and CB radio and wiring. One of my most fun builds, luck it has survived all these years.

Think I should do a little restoration and give it a really thick clear coat and polish it real nice and tuck the rear tires in a bit.

IMG_9287.thumb.JPG.683be446ce1e7abd5b712

IMG_9292.thumb.JPG.e6ef1fb0f6df09f3f372e

IMG_9295.thumb.JPG.fcae004be6584568a1dba

IMG_9296.thumb.JPG.38ea7984181b21b3a6f84

IMG_9299.thumb.JPG.2aad21602a8c9d1fb8cbe

IMG_9300.thumb.JPG.00e2bdf7611f464a1b08f

IMG_9301.thumb.JPG.0726cf4874efd5b559da5

Wow! That's a wild piece of work! I'm impressed that you could do this when you were 12 years old. My attempts to customize stuff at that age mostly ended up as piles of mangled plastic shavings.
 I love the paint job and custom upholstery. This build is a real time capsule, if I were you I'd keep it clean and pretty much leave it alone!

This is cool, even more so the fact that it was made with all the custom stuff in the 1970's before all this aftermarket stuff we have available now was even around and the fact that you were 12!. I started building around that age in the 90's and my early builds were no where near as good lookin.

Jim,

That is one really fine looking model, given that you were 12 when you built it.And that it has survived this long! Aside from tucking in the rear wheels. I would leave it alone. Like most everyone else has suggested. I also suggest like some others .That you build another van of a similar theme today with you improved skills and maturity.

Be Well

Gator