Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 55 Bel Air / Street Machine

I'm looking to buy an AMT 55 Chevy on an auction site.  I've seen two versions   stock and street macine.  Can anyone tell me if the street machine version aslo has the stock parts in it?  Kinda like a 2 in 1?

None of these had a "pro street" chassis.  They all used a stock chassis with molded-in exhaust system detail.  The front half of the chassis was shared with the Nomad.  Both had single exhaust because the Nomad was tooled first, and the 1:1 '55 station wagons weren't available with a dual exhaust system as stock.  The stock/street machine issues had stock parts including the front seat, the street machine issues did not have some of the stock parts but did have the (unplated) raised front axle and the mag wheels from the Nomad. 

• 1 year later...

Though never mentioned anywhere on the "Millennium" kit's box, some of the Street Machine parts are included, including the Centerline Auto Drag style wheels, which are easily the best 'street' set available IMHO:

cldrag.jpg.9aa17f7cfbc0716bf916cb26b05bfb4b.jpg

Content pics of the 1/25 AMT Millennium '55 Chevy Bel Air Sedan kit can be found here: http://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/849/amt-1955-chevy-bel-sedan

mill.jpg.ed9f855ad925ad2a8d8f90551de4a694.jpg

Edited by Casey

Casey, a quick question for you. I was looking at your post on the other forum you mentioned, and since I had never seen that version of the '55, I have to ask. Your pic shows the chrome tree but I only saw three wheel covers and nothing as to show where the fourth one should be. Was it just out of range? Because I sure did not see any cut or breakage lines where it would have been. I sure would have gotten one if I had ever seen that version. Especially if I knew some of the so called " Pro Street" parts were in there.

Edit: Just went back to that board and sure enough, I flat out missed it the first time I looked! I will put my glasses back on now. LOL

Edited by socal76

• 3 months later...
On 3/31/2018 at 2:24 PM, Rob Hall said:

I would think the '55 sedan and Nomad should get the Retro Deluxe reissue treatment soon.  

For those who missed this news, the 1/25 AMT '55 Chevy Bel Air sedan kit is scheduled for reissue later this year:

AMT-1119 1/25 1955 Chevy Bel Air Sedan

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, crowe-t said:

Does the AMT 55 Bel Air Street Machine actually have a tubbed rear end?  Does anyone have any pictures of the chassis from the Street Machine kit?

No, the chassis/floorpan is stock, not tubbed:

WP_20180116_074.jpg

Lots of pics of the Millennium reissue here: http://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/849/amt-1955-chevy-bel-sedan

The '90s era 'new' 1/25 AMT '57 Chevy Bel Air Street Machine, which has a separate frame and floorpan, does have mini-tubs and is 'back-halfed', like so:

AMT57BelAirSMNewTool.jpg.9f97b196fd02359ac42cd19d5a6a3aaa.jpg

Edited by Casey

On 7/24/2018 at 2:46 PM, Casey said:

For those who missed this news, the 1/25 AMT '55 Chevy Bel Air sedan kit is scheduled for reissue later this year:

AMT-1119 1/25 1955 Chevy Bel Air Sedan

It's about time ! Its getting harder and harder to find that kit, even on e bay

5 hours ago, Casey said:

No, the chassis/floorpan is stock, not tubbed:

WP_20180116_074.jpg

Lots of pics of the Millennium reissue here: http://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/849/amt-1955-chevy-bel-sedan

The '90s era 'new' 1/25 AMT '57 Chevy Bel Air Street Machine, which has a separate frame and floorpan, does have mini-tubs and is 'back-halfed', like so:

AMT57BelAirSMNewTool.jpg.9f97b196fd02359ac42cd19d5a6a3aaa.jpg

Thanks Casey!  It seems the Street Machine version is basically the same kit with some extra parts.

16 hours ago, bytownshaker said:

Didn't a resin caster release  a stock chassis/floor pan that had the molded-in exhaust system detail removed?

I've seen a couple of them, but removing the detail yourself isn't hard.  The AMT '55 kits are good ones to start with, as the pipe detail isn't hollow on the opposite side of the chassis like most kits.  The only area where you will be left with a hole to fill will be the muffler.  I did a Nomad chassis awhile back, it's not tough at all.  Single exhaust means 50% less work.  X-Acto chisel blades and sandpaper can be used, or a rotary power tool provided you have one that can be slowed down enough.  Most tools with built-in speed control are way too fast, even on the slowest setting.  Smooth everything up, then put the floorpan detail back in those areas with strip styrene, as a mirror image of the other side.

The sedan chassis has single exhaust because the front half of it is carried over from the Nomad.  The Nomad didn't have duals because Chevrolet didn't offer them on wagons in '55.

6 hours ago, dino246gt said:

I used a Revell, '56 Nomad chassis under my AMT '55, fit perfectly, no gas tank or exhaust molded on!

DSCN5319.JPG

I'm planning on using the chassis from the Revell 56 Del Ray on my 55.

Has anybody else tried this? Any tips on modifications or fit issues? 

If it works I'll use the 55 chassis on the Del Ray for a gasser build.

2 hours ago, RichCostello said:

I'm planning on using the chassis from the Revell 56 Del Ray on my 55. Has anybody else tried this? Any tips on modifications or fit issues?

I used the Revell '55 Bel Air HT's chassis, but it should be 99% the same. The two fit together very well, but some fitting and sanding were needed at the front and rear of the frame, as the AMT and Revell '55 bodies are different in those areas:

The hood-to-body fit isn't great on the AMT '55 Sedan kit, either, and the interior is tub style, which, also isn't great if we're being honest.

2 hours ago, Casey said:

I used the Revell '55 Bel Air HT's chassis, but it should be 99% the same. The two fit together very well, but some fitting and sanding were needed at the front and rear of the frame, as the AMT and Revell '55 bodies are different in those areas:

The hood-to-body fit isn't great on the AMT '55 Sedan kit, either, and the interior is tub style, which, also isn't great if we're being honest.

Yeah Casey, I built the 55 years ago, and wasn't crazy about a lot of the parts fit problems, so I tore it apart with the idea of making a gasser out of it. Then the 56 Del Ray came along and l put the 55 aside.

After screwing up a couple things on the 56, I decided to make it a gasser also. I ended up getting another of each kit in trades, so I'm going to try to mix and match parts from each kit to make stock and gasser versions of each year( 55 chassis for gassers, 56 chassis, wheels and tires for stock).

Thanks for the link to your old post. It is giving me some good ideas. Did you ever finish that build? 

13 hours ago, RichCostello said:

Did you ever finish that build? 

Still working on it.

The Revell Monogram 1/25 '55 Chevy Bel Air convertible kit had a separate X-frame, so that would be another cheap potential donor, too, if one chooses to go down that rabbit hole. -_-

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 8:19 AM, dino246gt said:

I used a Revell, '56 Nomad chassis under my AMT '55, fit perfectly, no gas tank or exhaust molded on!

DSCN5319.JPG

I think the chassis under the current Revell '56 Nomad and the 210 Del Rey are one in the same. The difference between the two is the panel between the differential area and the rear cross member. The Del Rey shows a spare tire wheel well and gas tank and the Nomad has a flat bottomed wheel well as that is how they stored the spare on those. 

I think the Del Rey chassis is also a great candidate for use on AMTs '55.

I WAS planning to make a Revell '55 into a post using the Del Rey roof and trunk.

As far as I got with that idea was to use the '55 hardtop on the Del Rey to produce this one:

Can't beat a 409 with dual quads in a black '56 hdtp! LOL

P1000882.JPG

P1030847 (Large).JPG

P1030840.JPG

P1030852 (Large).JPG

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Here's a look at all versions on the AMT '55 Chevy Bel Air Sedan kit, so hopefully others can fill in the missing details regarding which kits contains the stock, street machine, or parts for both build options.

Here's the original issue 2'n1 #6771 kit from 1989, which contains parts to build either the stock or street machine version:

AMT6771from1989.thumb.jpg.8e91a2e890bc28992ca29becfe16e8ac.jpg

AMT6771from19892.thumb.jpg.28c4faecfdbbdca068035dbdee66fcb0.jpg

AMT6771from19893.jpg.110d9523ecf88420e178b5d345f830f1.jpg

AMT6771from19894.jpg.e9f47c80a8914fa98906c54a7ba7efbc.jpg

The below kit is also #6771, but features a slightly different AMT/Ertl logo (which I'll refer to as the 'stairstep' logo). Are the contents of both #6771 kits the same?

AMT6771StepLogo.jpg.85142c6a8f039eb0a8540c5e0480d0df.jpg

The AMT/Ertl #31931 1955 Chevy Bel Air Street Machine kit shown below in the 'long exposure/wavy lines' packaging:

AMT31931.jpg.298506e412f905334af7055b002d3867.jpg

The AMT (no Ertl) #385353 1955 Chevy Bel AIr Street Machine in the 'checkerboard' box:

AMT38353.jpg.7e3e2ed83a43446d47101da258c0f641.jpg

The AMT #30266 'Millennium' version from 2000, which contains both stock and street machine parts:

WP_20180116_089.jpg

Here's the new box art for the 2018 reissue, AMT 1119:

AMT1119M-1955-Chevy-Bel-Air-final-hr.jpg

Edited by Casey